Texas Police Chief Fired In YouTube Video

October 08, 2012  |

Screenshot via YouTube.
Screenshot via YouTube.

The McKinney (Texas) Police chief learned he had been replaced as the leader of the department, when the city manager posted a video on YouTube announcing his firing.

City Manager Jason Gray reassigned Chief Doug Kowalski and appointed deputy city manager Joe Williams. Gray posted a video statement about the move on YouTube on Friday.

"You'll see that the leadership and culture that Chief Williams brings to the department is well-aligned with the community," Gray said in the YouTube statement.

Williams has law enforcement experience with the cities of Celina and Frisco, reports the Dallas Morning News.

McKinney officers patrol a jurisdiction of 131,000 residents in a city that has been among the fast-growing cities in the nation.

Tags: Texas, Police Chiefs, Social Media

David @ 10/8/2012 12:01 PM

Very unprofessional for the city manager post on You Tube before ever talking to the Chief.

Barb @ 10/8/2012 12:55 PM

Total lack of class....

Andreas L @ 10/8/2012 2:25 PM

they should fire the city manager and replace him with the one he fired.

Glenn Leach @ 10/8/2012 2:28 PM

I would be embarrassed to terminate anyone without a face to face

P

Code3Law @ 10/8/2012 2:38 PM

Well I certainly hope the terminated chief gets a good labor relations attorney. The city manager is looking at paying out on this one after posting a reputation damaging termination video in the highly public forum of U-Tube sans having any meeting with the chief first. How about those communication skills? Yikes!

MK @ 10/8/2012 2:52 PM

Shades of Tom Landry. What a cowardly act!

Bob@Az. @ 10/8/2012 3:07 PM

Of course it was cowardly, he's a city mgr! I'd like to know just what kind of "law enforcement experience" Williams has. Sure hope the city pays dearly for this very unprofessional act by a obviously shallow manager (?). Blues, stay safe.

Dan Alvarez @ 10/8/2012 3:12 PM

Absolutely wrong. The city manager should be fired for being a "Punk" with no testicles.

Rob @ 10/8/2012 3:13 PM

Welcome to the new generation of employer's !

JohnnyU @ 10/8/2012 3:25 PM

Doug deserved better then this. Should cost McKinney big bucks.

starrman69 @ 10/8/2012 3:41 PM

The irony in thanking a Chief for his professionalism while announcing his termination on YouTube...If the Chief was not privately advised of his termination and this video was in fact that announcement, then I would question the ethical decision made by Mr. Gray to make such a broadcast. If the Mayor and City Council have given Mr. Gray their approval for the Chief's termination and replacement, then they're all culpable, should the Chief decide to seek civil action/relief.

Alex Garcia @ 10/8/2012 3:43 PM

SMALL TOWN, SMALL LEADERSHIP MINDS......

shook @ 10/8/2012 3:53 PM

I do not know the details pertaining to the Chiefs replacement...I can say regardless that City manager is a coward...I hope his termination video is posted on YouTube...with arrogance, and disrespect like he has displayed...its only a matter of time..he is no manager!

Erich Weinfurter @ 10/8/2012 5:13 PM

I agree with code3law. This is a gross and possibly unlawful termination. Plus I do not think the City Manager can reassign the Chief and replace him, as this is a appointed postion function of the Mayor with confirmation by the City Council, since the City manager is himself an appointed position.
A pity the taxpayers may have to pay for this unprofessional

Robocop @ 10/8/2012 5:35 PM

Disgraceful! It would seem to me that the Chief actually may have a case against the City Manager for posting this on You Tube. At the very least it is cowardice but it also seems to be designed to bring disgrace on the Chief and his men.

Rod @ 10/8/2012 6:21 PM

I know Doug Kowalski. I was surprised when he took the job in McKinney. I personally believe that city bought a race horse to plow the fields. I'm surprised that he lasted this long. Kudos to him for trying to bring them into the 21st Century and staying around as long as he did. The CM just doesn't get it. Typical. Good luck, Doug.

STACEY @ 10/8/2012 8:07 PM

I agree w/ code3law as well...does anyone know if this agency is unionized?? totally inappropriate. And is there anything the Chief did to get terminated in the first place or was this a random "hey by the way..."?

Jim Beene @ 10/8/2012 9:47 PM

Doug, good luck in the oncoming days! Mckinney will regret their decision soon enough. The city manager has no people skills and hopefully you will go after the city on a civil suit or get one large severence package. Best wishes.

RON DA COP @ 10/9/2012 6:11 AM

WHAT DID THE CHIEF DO WRONG? DID HE REFUSE TO FOLLOW A "POLITICAL" AGENDA THAT THEY TRIED TO FORCE HIM TO IMPLEMENT? DID ONE OF THE OFFICERS UNDER HIS COMMAND ISSUED SOMEONE A TICKET WHO HAD A "POLITICAL CONNECTION" THAT WHEN TOLD TO DISCIPLINE THE CHIEF REFUSED AND BACKED HIS OFFICER? I BET THAT WONT BE POSTED ON YOU TUBE. FURTHER MORE, THIS GUY(GRAY) LEADS WHO AGAIN? A "CITY"? THEY NEED TO DUMP THIS GUY(GRAY) AND HIRE SOMEONE THAT HAS A "SET"!!!!

RB DA COP @ 10/9/2012 6:14 AM

THIS IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF ALLOWING "CITIZEN POLITICIANS" A VOICE IN HOW "THEY" THINK THAT A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY SHOULD BE HANDLED. CHIEF GET A LAWYER AND WHEN ALL IS SETTLED CHANGE THE TOWNS NAME TO "YOUR NAME"!!!! OWN IT!!!!

Dan @ 10/9/2012 6:20 AM

Can you say lawsuit? He will own the City, if he chooses to fight. Also, to Alex Garcia, I resent your comment about small towns. This one is 131,000. I have been a deputy in a county of about 50,000 for 30 years. Our leaders would never do something as asinine as this.

Chuck @ 10/9/2012 6:41 AM

I think it may have been the 45 minute response times, Complaints on officers, Unsolved crimes, etc. Doug's a good Guy and a good Chief, but made bad choices in selecting his command staff.

Elmo @ 10/9/2012 6:58 AM

You are a class act Mr. City Manager. McKinney is losing a great Chief.

Elmo @ 10/9/2012 6:58 AM

You are a class act Mr. City Manager. McKinney is losing a great Chief.

jmcdonough @ 10/9/2012 7:43 AM

Shameful and so unprofessional. He'll (Gray) probably say something like, "It was released prematurely - I was GONNA tell the Chief personally before I released this" What a douche-bag! This is where society is heading. THE DISMAL TIDE.

joe blowski @ 10/9/2012 8:23 AM

This guy is a tool and sounds of small town politics in a bigger city. He has no sack or fortitude to confront the exiled chief....wow whata meat flap!

beenthere @ 10/9/2012 9:03 AM

Sounds like the time that 28 (yes 28) of us were notified we would no longer have a job via the newspaper. Actually most of us were called by friends saying "hey, did you know your name is in the newspaper and your not going to have a job come Jan 1"? We at least had about a three week notice. People that do this are just cowards and will come up with some excuse how it was not there fault.

DB @ 10/9/2012 9:14 AM

So, I see the picture ... the CM is from Selina, or at least worked there and so has the new Chief. Hmmm, maybe its payback? "Hey Joe, as soon as I get the CM's job in McKinney, Ill fire the Police Chief and give it to you"!

Bob T.retired NYS LEO @ 10/9/2012 10:24 AM

Id have my lawyer announce on U tube that we are suing the CM and the city, and see how they enjoy their own cowardly acts. I cant stand small town politics. When I retired from NY and I relocated to FL., I was hired by the state, a local County Sheriff and a local PD, but the little town IN Putnam County called me five times for different positions and I never received an offer. It was all good ole boy hiring in that town.

Oh Really? @ 10/9/2012 11:33 AM

I agree with the rest of you.. Major lawsuit..Of all the blatant disregard for someone , their character, and their reputation! I would be surprised if the City Manager kept his job. Stuck on stupid, you cant fix stupid, and stupid is FOREVER!

Jack C. Perritt @ 10/9/2012 1:48 PM

I know Doug Kowalski and have worked with him professionally. This was a shameful and degrading way to treat a man of his caliber. The CM of McKinney showed a total lack of moral courage and professionalism in the way he conducted this termination. This man's actions has reflected both neagatively and unfavorably on the City of McKinney. It also shows his lack of personal character and leadership ability. He has violated one of the most important fundamentals as a leader...trust! I hope they get rid of him next.

chuck c @ 10/9/2012 1:50 PM

once again .. management ..this time from outside the department makes a idiotic ,foolish decision ..ill bet hes got more than 1 college degree THOUGH [shame no college teaches commonsense .".that u have to learn from age and "experience".... 'maybe ...need i say more ....retired L.O.

Rick @ 10/9/2012 2:14 PM

Did the City Manager then go into hiding? This is absurd, unprofessional and cowardly! What's the reference going to look like?

Scott @ 10/9/2012 2:47 PM

Chicken shit.

S Gruning @ 10/10/2012 10:13 AM

Unsat! What a creep. Have the respect to do it face to face behind closed doors. Leadership 101.

McKinney City Councilman @ 10/10/2012 10:59 AM

Contact: Ray Ricchi FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Telephone: 214-726-8609
Email: rricchi@mckinneytexas.org October 9, 2012
I would like to address recent events at McKinney City Hall on October 5th 2012. The purpose of this message is to provide the citizens with my views as an individual City Council member; I am not speaking for the City Council. I am fully aware of the City of McKinney’s charter language giving the City Manager sole authority on personnel matters and personnel decisions and this message is intended to be consistent with the City of McKinney Charter.
The City Council was presented on October 8th with the City Manager’s reasons for the action he alone took on October 5th with Chief of Police Kowalski. This was the first time any of this information was ever communicated to me in any way. After careful consideration, it is my opinion the information presented would not warrant the reassignment of Chief Kowalski.
I understand the City Manager’s role is to evaluate employees, and while I respect that role, our job as Council Members is to evaluate the City Manager’s performance, including his exercise of judgment in the performance of his duties. I intend to completely evaluate the City Manager’s job performance and will do so with an open mind. I do not believe the information presented to me justifies the actions taken by City Manager Gray. Additionally, I feel that the manner in which Mr. Gray executed his decision was extremely disrespectful, unprofessional, and inconsistent with that which our citizen’s demand and city personnel deserve.

walter lee @ 10/10/2012 1:04 PM

Appears to be a cowardly act. Manager could not face the Chief apparently.

Jim A @ 10/14/2012 2:17 PM

Fire the City Manager for "extremely tacky practices". You gutless P.O.S.

Dr. Thomas DeMayo @ 10/16/2012 10:11 AM

I have been considering the City of McKinney as an ideal place for retirement and one of my reasons was your continued advancement as one of the top ten best small cities in the U.S. (#2 is no small feat). Your low crime rate and a a strong police/community relationship is key contributing factor for your city's high ranking and this reflects upon the outstanding leadership within the police department. After viewing Mckinney's City Managers video I am taken back by his unprofessionalism. Also the ties that the CM has with the newly appointed Chief points to nepotism. It seems that Chief Kowalski, a man who carried out his duties with distiction and a McKinney resident for twelve years, would be more "well- aligned" with your community than two newly appointed and unproven civil servants. I hope your city can recover from both the loss of this fine leader and the "good ole boy" portrayal that the CM has given it. I'm sure Mr. Kowalski has retained a number of savvy attornies and if your Mayor and City leaders have any sense, they will counsel Mr. Gray and reinstate Chief Kowalski without delay.

David Rossman @ 10/16/2012 1:12 PM

Better open your Check book.

Bill Shaw @ 10/17/2012 11:58 PM

Most of this story is inaccurate and so are the subsequent comments. As has been widely reported in many publications, Chief Kowalski met with The McKinney City Manger on October 5, and was notified of his reassignment (not fired) in person, face-to-face. The City manager then posted a video directly to Police Department Personnel, for purpose of informing that Department, and that Department only, of the pending reorganization. Shortly thereafter, Person or persons, unknown, then uploaded the video, intended for the Police Department only, to a public You Tube account, ThePackUSA. A header was added to the Video, stating "McKinney City Manager Jason Gray Fires the Police Chief Via You Tube". Right from the start this story was a planted setup. Next, Councilman Ricchi deliberately misrepresented this Planted video as the work of the City Manager and began his rant of outrage against the City Manager for the"You Tube Firing". Apparently some people think these kind of tactics are how you get elected to higher office in Collin County.

Bill Shaw @ 10/17/2012 11:59 PM

Chris @ 5/10/2013 12:19 PM

This is great. Couldn't have happened to a 'nicer' guy. Frisco PD sucks

mckinney watchdog @ 3/17/2014 1:32 PM

CM just got fired! among with 2 of his cronies. council finally realized the truth about jason "gray-area".

Paul Bailey @ 3/26/2014 10:29 AM

This is very shameful that frisco, texas poice doing bad job.

We've got the links to the Writ of Habeas just delivered to the court, please download and share the links, we want people to know what Frisco, Texas Police Department does when they realize they made multiple mistakes!