Video: Texas Grandma Arrested After Refusing To Show ID

September 13, 2012  |

VIDEO: Arrest of 77-Year-Old Texas Motorist

Keene (Texas) Police Chief Rocky Alberti has cleared one of his sergeants in the arrest of a 77-year-old grandmother who was pulled out of her SUV after she refused to show her driver's license.

During the Aug. 19 arrest, which was captured on dash-cam video, Sgt. Gene Geheb pulled over Lynn Bedford for driving 66 in a 50-mph zone. In the video, Bedford refuses to show her license, claiming she has a bladder infection and needs to go to the bathroom.

Sgt. Geheb demands that Bedford give him the ID or he will take her to jail.

"Well, go ahead," Bedford responds. Geheb then pulls her from the vehicle and onto the ground where he arrests her.

"This incident has been reviewed thoroughly by the Keene Police Department and the City of Keene Administration," Chief Alberti said in a statement reported by NBC DFW. "All parties have concluded that Sgt. Geheb did not violate any state laws or department policies, and in fact was following department policy in regards to violators not providing identification."

Tags: Texas, Catching Speeders, Gaining Compliance

bob @ 9/13/2012 4:33 PM

The officer should be fired.

An innocent Grandmother coming from church has a bladder problem was treated like a druggie.

the officer should be fired, PERIOD!

Good Job @ 9/13/2012 5:27 PM

Good job by the Sergeant, the greatest hazards to the road are the very young and the very old. If you cant follow the rules then dont drive. Grandma needs to slow the fuck down. If she was doing the speed limit this never would have happened.

9878 @ 9/13/2012 5:39 PM

No, it was another person that believes that they can violate the laws of our country and dictate to the police what they do.

Debbie @ 9/13/2012 5:47 PM

Sure he did the right thing. She did look pretty scary. I am glad he drug her out and made her fall and hit the ground, she certainly deserved that. He is quite the man, not to mention, quite an officer. He probably makes it a habit of stopping helpless people. I bet he would be afraid to take on someone who he was afraid he couldn't beat up. Bet you he beats his wife. He should be fired and charged with felony assault, like anyone else would be for this amount of force. Let's face it, something is wrong with him. Do not go into labor and get stopped by him, he would probably shoot you. Time that police were held accountable for their actions. They should be held to a higher standard than others, they hold too many lives in their hands.

Bob@Az. @ 9/13/2012 6:06 PM

Debbie: So people have to "look" scary before you pull them out of a vehicle for SPEEDING? Fifteen mph is over the limit no matter how you slice it. Why didn't she show the Officer her lic & reg right off? I sure you have many street creds but I think your wrong on this one. Blues, stay safe.

Betty @ 9/13/2012 6:31 PM

She was so out of line and DISRESPECTFUL . BAD GRAMA. She should apologize to the officer. I hope she isn't teaching her GRandbabies that this is appropriate behavior.

Tom Ret @ 9/13/2012 6:37 PM

The lady appeared to have plenty of time to get her license if she wanted to but refused and then refused to get out of the car after being told repeatedly by the officer. Her attitude was I'm going to do what I want and the officer wasn't going to tell her otherwise. The arrest looked proper to me and the lady made it necessary for the officer to arrest by refusing to show her license and to use force to get her to exit the car thus she was obstructing or resisting the arrest. If you drive a car it is your responsibility to have and show the proper documentation as long as the stop is legal. The lady took it upon herself to get behind the wheel and knew before hand what state her bladder was in. Having a bad bladder, head ache, bad hair day etc. does not give one anymore authority to speed or not show your license than someone who doesn't. There is no indication that the lady was not speeding. Having a bladder problem was her rationalization. If she had a medical condition that required immediate medical attention, then following her to the hospital would have been in order. This obviously wasn't the case. If because of a bladder condition, the lady had to go real bad, then she added to the delay by her obstructing the officer at every turn.

Ron @ 9/13/2012 6:44 PM

This officer made a lawful stop of the vehicle for speeding. Upon making contact with the driver he asked several time for her license. Just because she felt that he wasn't listening to her she decides to play games and advise the officer that she'll give him the license when she felt like it at which time she was advised license or go to jail. Now Debbie you made several statements saying how bad the officer acted and that he must beat his wife. You know it's folks like you that made judgements based on emotions. I really hope that you are not a road Officer because if you are you will be the one getting hurt and/or your partner hurt. She could have avoided the whole scene if she would have followed his instructions but she refused to do so and refuse to get out of the vehicle. Once you show that you are not going to comply with lawful orders then this is what will happen. I bet next time she will do as told.

Frank @ 9/13/2012 7:11 PM

Debbie if the person was a 29 year old female would you still think the officer was wrong. The law pertains to everyone including the arrogant grandma. She should have handed the officer her license and registration. A basic request regardless who the person is and what the violation was, Now if she was an Illegal!

Hugh @ 9/13/2012 7:13 PM

Bob & Debbie I am a 69 year old peace officer would you have made the same statements about me if I had stopped the lady and she refused a lawful order and I removed her from her vehicle and arrested her.

Old Salt @ 9/13/2012 8:13 PM

Don't be too hard on poor little Bob & Debbie. They just have typical ACLU criticisms and unrealistic, liberal, cop-hating views. We should note that, like the rest of their ilk, they don't offer any alternatives to resole the situation; only recite their mindless drivel. That's clearly because they don't understand what they are talking about. Should someone be let go just because of age? Do older people not need to follow the law? If so that's great because I just retired!
The bladder excuse was likly just that; an excuse. As an old cop I've heard 'em all. Most were 100% BS. Just as their prejudiced opinion of the situation. This old battle axe didn't have time to comply with the officer's order, but had plenty of time to sit there and argue. Maybe Debbie would have a different view if she'd ever investigated a fatal crash caused by speed and the diminished reactions of an older driver. No, I guess Bob and Debbie would rather be biased, hateful and ignorant. It's a lot easier than thinking the situation through rationally. Give 'em a break.

kturner @ 9/13/2012 8:16 PM

GREAT JOB KEENE POLICE OFFICER !! WHY DOES SHE THINK SHE SHOULD BE TREATED ANY DIFFERENTLY JUST BECAUSE SHE IS OLD?? I too am old and I follow all the rules of the law !! shame on her !!!

COPS SUCK ASS @ 9/13/2012 10:05 PM

No excuse for the behavior of the piggy here. Your a servant and you should be sued in Federal court. Just be glad that wasnt my mom or grandma!! I think you are a pussy for manhandling old ladies!

Bob@Az. @ 9/14/2012 12:00 AM

"cops suck ass": I'll bet my pension you don't have the gonads to step up and ID your weasley little ass. I've found over many years that when you can print, post or write under the "anonymous" you pukes are badass, but when it comes to standing up your all low life insipid morons who wouldn't make a pimple on real mans ass. And I'll bet you've kissed lots of those. Somebody flush this turd. Blues, Stay safe.

Tom @ 9/14/2012 5:56 AM

Apparently - you have never been around a woman with a bladder infection, The urge can come on so quickly that if you dont get to a restroom you will pee all over your self. This is what the 70+ granny was experiencing. Yes- the officer did not violate any laws in regard to state or county - however he did act in an abusive way toward her and was not willing to show compassion to a health issue, This lady had just come from church. I agree that law enforcement needs to exercise caution when making even a routing traffic stop, but this lady was like his mother and he should have known better. She is guilty of speeding and admits that and will pay her fine, However the way she was handled will open King County Texas to a lawsuit and frankly I hope she bankrupts to county, The attitude of the District Attorney was like he would be prosecuting public enemy number 1 and making his mark. Additionally - this is certainly not the kind of image I would want to portray if I were the county and wanting to attract business and residents in a poor economy.
Somebody needs to show some common sense and maybe Gov Perry needs to jump in the middle of this one.
What goes around comes around.

D-Ray @ 9/14/2012 7:32 AM

Bob and Debbie have zero knowledge of police work, yet feel qualified to spew their idiotic views of this. What would you think if grandma hear T-bones your daughter due to her excessive speed because she "claims" to have some sort of bladder problem. (Hey Grandma, buy some Depends if you can't hold it) They would be the first to scream for the blood of the local police that "don't do anything" about traffic violators. Grandma was clearly told what would happen if she didn't comply with the lawful order. Why is she surprised that the officer did exactly what he said he'd do? Be careful what you wish for Grandma! Being an A-hole isn't limited by age. Don't automatically think that all persons over 70 are the friendly Grandma/Grandpa type. As for Tom- How do you know what she was experiencing? Are you her doctor? No? I see, you're just a naive, believe everything someone says type. She's not gonna win any lawsuit here. The officer was justified in everything he did here. Grandma had it coming. Period.

tedb @ 9/14/2012 8:17 AM

Debbie: I'm not even going to waste your time and mine in discussing the instant case. I am, however, going to address the last part of your message, wherein you state: "Time that police were held accountable for their actions. They should be held to a higher standard than others "

There was a time when police were actually held to a higher standard, but then, in approximately 1070, a short chinaman sued the San Francisco PD and they were forced to do away with their height and physical standards. This was followed quickly by every other minority and indi9vidual with an agenda until, by the mid-70's we had very few physical standards and by the 90's we also had very few moral standards. Unfortunately for we old-timers who can remember the days of the higher standards, law enforcement is now truly representative of the public we serve! I am not addressing the instant case, because I believe the sergeant was correct in his actions, but I must state that, thanks to groups like the ACLU and the special interest groups, LE now has the same percentage of crooks and idiots as the general public. AND NOW you demand the same higher standards you took away from us!

As to those who justify Grannie's actions because of her bladder problem, I wonder if she actuallt did piss her drawers on the way to jail or was she trying to scam the system?

Dan @ 9/14/2012 8:21 AM

to tom: Didn't they have a restroom at the church from which she just came? To Debbie and "cops suck ass" you two are absolutely ACLU idiots with no idea of police work. You must not even watch much TV. At least TV cop shows are closer to fact than you. Bod@AZ on D-Ray hit it on the head.

Martyb @ 9/14/2012 12:05 PM

"Grandma" reminds me a lot of my mom. When she would get pulled over for traffic infractions she would spend 15-20 minutes of the good motor officers time "explaining" to him why he was just "wrong minded" in stopping her. Her "explanations" often verged on just flat out profanity... The motor officer would very patiently listen to mom rant and then with the greatest of aplomb and dignity say...

"Please sign next to the "X", press hard there are four copies, and "Have a nice day".

It was always a challenge to not laugh my teenage ass off until we got home and I could go out into the back yard cut loose with a laugh...

I always pittied the next poor schmuck the cop pulled over after dealing with my mom...

SS @ 9/14/2012 1:47 PM

The Sgt had every right to stop her she was speeding. He had every right to ask for license and registration. I think the issue is not that Grandma was in a hurry and wanted special consideration. The issue in my view is that the Sgt Escolated the situation way too fast. We Officers deal with difcult people everyday. We try and be consistent when dealing with people. Rightly or wrongly sometimes our buttons get pushed and we go from calm an professional to loud and confrontational. Again the Sgt was in his rights but I think a little verbal judo would have worked in the situation much better.

don @ 9/14/2012 1:48 PM

He made no effort to listen. He was combative and interrupted her first sentence. She simple asked him to listen to her for a second. He arrested her? She did not immeadiatly hand over her license when ORDERED to do so. Instead of dealing with an elderly women with more empathy he became the angry cop. She never said anything about not wanting a ticket or getting out of a citation, she had to go.
The biggest insult is for the chief to say everything was handled well. If he is elected he needs to be recalled or voted out of office. She never asked for any special treatment except to go to the bathroom.

Tom Ret @ 9/14/2012 4:00 PM

don- After reading your reply my guess would be that you are not a cop,
right?

Don @ 9/14/2012 5:26 PM

That is correct. I don't need to be a cop to see someone over reacting. I do have have 30 years of dealing with upset people. The first rule is listen! Why was he so quick to esculate it to a confrontation with a citizen? 18seconds! I am not anti cop. I just think he made it worst. I would of said, I understand what you are saying. Let me have your license and I will get you on your way as soon as possible. This would show he heard and understood her and offer a solution. If she kept it up after that it would be her problem. He never should of gotten physical so soon. Too many police feel they can do anything and you had better obey.

Bob@Az. @ 9/14/2012 7:40 PM

Jeesh! Here I thought this was an LEO site, not a "ain't never done the job but the Sgt. is wrong" stage. Don,Debbie & Bob: Join your local Law Enforcement Organization, go through the Academy, spend a few years dealing mostly with the dredges of society and see if you still agree with what you've posted. If not, call the aclu, I'm sure their looking for a few good whiners. Blues, stay safe!.

Tom Ret @ 9/14/2012 8:46 PM

Don- actually, you do need to be a cop or retired to come on this forum
and spout off about how the officer should have done this or that and have anyone listen to you. Experience teaches that some people will try to jack you around all day while rationalizing how they didn't deserve to be stopped or told what to do. The lady had a duty to produce the license which wasn't debatable.

Don @ 9/15/2012 7:59 PM

Didn't realize this was for cops only so I apologize for giving my opinion and will not respond again. I don't need to be a cop to know how they should treat citizens. Eighteen seconds and he is out of control. I am surprised how many cops feel he did the right thing. It wasn't terrible, he was just to quick to anger and most of the non-cops I have spoken to feel the same. Thank you for your service and protection over the years. I hope I don't run into a quick tempered cop like him. Gives many cops haters another excuse, and law abiding citizens like me shake our heads that you don't get it. I'm done.

Christine @ 9/16/2012 3:58 PM

Your sergeant should be fired for conduct unbecoming of an officer. If we cannot trust a grown, trained man to defuse a situation, calm down a woman with a bladder infection (WE ALL KNOW THAT PAIN), then he should be demoted to evidence clerk. Sorry. I was an educator, teaching the most assaultive youth of our society. I was highly trained by swat officers how to handle live situations far worse than this old lady's irritable reaction. WE DO NOT WANT OFFICERS ON OUR STREETS WHO MANHANDLE OLD LADIES. Get him the hell off your force and do not give him a recommendation for any other municipality. He is a poorly trained disgrace, and I doubt any training in the world will improve his skills. You can't really teach a teacher to teacher or an officer to police.l There is an element of prior talent that must be present in the trainee. He does not possess what "it" is that makes a good or great public servant. Expect a petition.

c. britt @ 9/17/2012 10:34 AM

as for all you a.c.l.u. people you do not know what its like to be and officer of the law and what we have to deal with.

Tom Ret @ 9/17/2012 5:44 PM

Christine, this is a police blog. Sanctimonious rants are not wanted or appreciated here from people who have no police experience. Try the PTA where you are better qualified to speak.

mwp72 @ 9/22/2012 1:57 PM

I'm sick to death of all the whiners who think they know "what the police should do". Either put on the uniform yourself,(or at least do some ride-alongs), or shut the f up. This job is like a high-wire act where one wrong move can get you killed or sued. We don't have time to play games with oversized children whose parents assured them they were exceptional and should be treated as such no matter how much of a shithead they are.

Been around @ 9/22/2012 9:45 PM

So we should just mess around when people refuse? Maybe ask 2 -3 -4 or 5 times? People should get the message to stop arguing and fighting with the police. Cooperate and everything will be fine. She gave him the green light and he took advantage of it. I bet she dont act like that no more. Why are we expected to wait around and convience people to comply....

Chris @ 11/23/2012 4:39 PM

The subscribers backing up this Officer are clearly just as delirious as Sgt. Geheb.

This sort of conduct (and those who defend it) are all a biproduct of their training and education (or lack there of).

This is completely unacceptable. I'm sorry but this is America. Your home country. The place where you should feel safe as a citizen and respected as another individual. [(When you are wearing a Govenmental Uniform you are not an individual by the way.) Only when you are off duty. ]

This sort of handling by the Sgt will continue to shine until we alter our methods for training our Officers.

- ASU Law / POS and JUS

Dennis @ 11/26/2012 5:20 PM

The lady deserved what happened to her. The officer did his job. I see plenty of officers take advantage of their authority. I had a constable recently pull me over for no reason. I made sure i let him know about it and was not nice about it at all, ended up letting me go. This officer was right in his actions.

Tim @ 1/25/2013 11:22 AM

wow all of your responses are only proving the case that the police have become totally corrupt. didn't you fellas take an oath to defend the Constitution? if you did then you are hereby acknowledging your lack of honor. you are all such followers - so ironic that you Claim authority when all you do is follow orders. your families should be ashamed

Richard @ 1/31/2013 5:25 PM

This is just one of many videos I've seen of the police physically assaulting elderly women. If this is not against the law, then lawmakers should work on making it against the law. As for the officers involved, they should at least be fired for their actions.

dogchapman @ 3/22/2013 1:25 PM

What i find most ironic is that he is supposed to be a "peace" officer but his attitude, judgement & actions were contrary to his title. The officer had every chance to de-escalate the situation but instead chose to teach the defiant lady a lesson & escalated it by imposing his authority over a 77 year old medically challenged woman who simply wanted to be heard & respected. The comments that her age was irrelevant is ignorant & untrue. This was a routine traffic stop that got out of hand & the officer was the one who had the power to calm the situation down. He actions may have been within legal authority but he did not exhibit good judgement or represent his profession or department with any type of valor. For an officer who appears to have some years under his badge I find it very disturbing he acted like a rookie on a first year traffic stop. Every day I find myself in a inflammatory situation with the authority to arrest someone who acted as this lady but discretion is a valuable asset to possess. I only hope the department will use this scenario as a training tool on how a routine traffic stop can spin out of control.

AL;DSFJAWPOFJIA @ 1/22/2014 5:33 PM

Keene TX is a shake-down hole with a very busy municipal court. Even the dog catcher is a corrupt entrapment expert.

AL;DSFJAWPOFJIA @ 1/22/2014 5:33 PM

AL;DSFJAWPOFJIA @ 1/22/2014 5:35 PM

/lkm/m

Melinda Brown @ 9/8/2014 9:18 AM

My Mom had a LEGITIMATE issue. She had been running a fever days before & had to be put on antibiotics for a bladder infection. She was worried about being able to do her duties that day she was feeling so bad. She played for a church in Alvarado & was on her way to play for a wedding in Ft. Worth which ended up starting late because of this crap ! It would have take 2 seconds to listen to her. I think ALL of you had better go back & listen to the entire video & look past the emotion of both individuals. She in compliance she said "in a minute" she had her purse in her lap & ID in her hand. After seeing the foot put up on the door to yank my Mom out that kinda turned it for me. I have the pictures of the bruises. All our actions must be based on principle, NOT EMOTION, Police must always be held to a higher standard... they have guns, & represent the law of the land. Police must differentiate between what is true threat & what is not.