Second W.Va. Trooper Dies

August 31, 2012  |

Photo: West Virginia State Police
Photo: West Virginia State Police

The second West Virginia State Police trooper shot by a handcuffed man during a traffic stop late Tuesday has succumbed to his wounds, the agency announced.

Trooper Workman, who had been in "extremely critical condition" in a coma at CAMC General Hospital, was pronounced dead Friday. Trooper Marshall Bailey died at the scene.

"Trooper Workman was an outstanding young man with a promising future," said Colonel C. R. "Jay" Smithers. "It is unfortunate his life was cut short by this senseless and cowardly act. Our prayers continue to be with his family and friends. I am overwhelmed by the support the West Virginia State Police family is receiving during this difficult time."

The troopers were shot by Luke Baber, 22, after the officers apprehended Baber along State Route 36 near Interstate 79 in Roane County. Troopers Bailey and Workman arrested an intoxicated Baber, handcuffed him in front, and placed him in the back of the cruiser. That's when Baber pulled out a Hi-Point 9mm pistol missed in the search and shot the two troopers.

Baber was fatally shot by Clay County and Roane County deputies, who engaged him at a nearby barn.

Trooper Workman, 26, had served the state police since Jan. 10, 2011. He was assigned to the Clay Detachment.

"Trooper Workman's family would like to inform the public that he is an organ donor," according to a statement posted on Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin's Website. "It is the family's sincere hope that even in his death, his selfless service to others will continue by providing others an opportunity to live a fruitful life."

Related:

Handcuffed Man Murders W.Va. Trooper

Tags: Duty Deaths, West Virginia State Police, West Virginia

Kevin @ 8/31/2012 4:21 PM

So tragic. Always do a thorough search!

Cleo Silva @ 8/31/2012 5:54 PM

As a mother and aunt of police offices, I worry about them all the time and I pray every night for not just them, but all of our first responders to return to their families safe and sound. I hate that our world has become so engrossed in murder and crime. May God give these family comfort during their time of grief.

MARY @ 9/1/2012 11:07 AM

I AM SORRY THE FAMILY HAD TO GO THROUGHT AT I KNOW IT HURTS THEM AND I WISH EVERYTHING BE ALL RIGHT WITH THEM IT IS SAD WHEN U LOOSE SOME ONE BECUASE I LOST SOME ONE IT WAS EVERY DEAR TO ME AND I KNOW IT HURTS TO I LOST MY GROUNDPA IN 1998 FROM A HEART ATECT AND HE DIED AND I LOST A BABY THE SAME DAY

Lou Torres @ 9/3/2012 5:40 AM

My deepest sympathies to the families of both troopers. R.I.P. I don't know how this could happen but it can't be changed now. All take heed!

As for the POS who did this, he wasn't worth the dirt under these Officers boots. What a damn shame!

Kurt Ferguson Ret. Corr. @ 9/3/2012 6:30 AM

This is a real tragedy. Cuffing techniques should be standard throughout the country. The suspect should've been thoroughly searched immediately. Safety first, first, first!!! Cuff in back, search again, and search the vehicle before you put the suspect inside.

Wayne Hundemann @ 9/3/2012 7:40 AM

My prayers go out to both these families. Rest in peace brothers. Keep heaven safe....we're all on our way one day. God Watch Over My Two Brothers.

Capt David LASD Retired @ 9/3/2012 8:03 AM

Prayers for your family. End of Watch came way too soon..

Laura @ 9/3/2012 8:15 AM

RIP Brothers Troopers Workman and Troopers Bailey. You try to do your job the best you can and sometimes things go terribly wrong. My heart felt prayers go out to your families and your LEO family.

Charles @ 9/3/2012 8:26 AM

My prayers are with each family. God Bless

George @ 9/3/2012 1:06 PM

I agree about cuffing techniques. Handcuffs were not ment to be comfortable each time someone I cuff complains about them I simply tell him my safety is far more important than your comfort.

Scott @ 9/3/2012 2:59 PM

I hope who ever is in charge of signing off on policy issues can live with this tragic incident. Why does it always take some to die before people realize that breaking the law and being arrested is not supposed to fun. you can be humane and still be safe.

Larry @ 9/4/2012 6:03 AM

Retired 12 years, NYPD, but always on the job. My heart goes out to all active officers out there still doing the job, and their families who worry every day about their safety. Nothing can replace this ultimate sacrifice that both of these officers has made. May their soles 'Rest in Peace' forever, and may God bless the families. Larry

nancy @ 9/4/2012 6:19 AM

so very sad to hear of the two officers deaths. gone way to soon. we relie on these men to keep us safe and its a huge price they pay at times. God bless them and both families.

westcoastleo @ 9/4/2012 2:24 PM

Terrible tragic loss. However, when are the LEO's in the U.S. going to stop pussy footin around with these criminals and learn to handcuff behind the back? Not to knock the eastern state LEO's but I see it all of the time in the news and photos where a crook is being ecourted to court or arrested for something and he or she is handcuffed up front. All LEO's need to stop doing this in every state, county and city. These are violent times in this country. All LEO's have the right to protect your selves while on duty and off duty. Do not let the fear of a complaint or attitude of a crook hinder your thinking. Do good searches before and after handcuffing even to the point where if you think the guy-gal may have a gun in the pants, get it, then justify it on paper. Also remember, work like you are being videotaped all the time. Do your job, do it right, and do it safe.

Active Supervisor, LASD,,,32.9 years

Sgt Gunny Best @ 9/5/2012 7:08 AM

RIP Brother Officers and my hartfelt prayers go out to the families.

Retired from the Marine Corps after -22 yrs, then retired from the Maryland Police Dept after - 22 years In my initial police training we were taught to handcuff "in back" and throughout my 22 yr career thats what I did. Active LEO'S Don't get rushed, follow your training.