Retired Police Chief Gunned Down In Revenge Killing

August 30, 2012  |

Screenshot via Lex18.
Screenshot via Lex18.

A retired Kentucky police chief was fatally shot Tuesday in what friends called a revenge killing.

Herbert Proffitt had arrested his accused killer several times over his 40-year law enforcement career, reports Lex18. He was checking for mail Tuesday afternoon, when Charles Hammer allegedly drove up and shot Proffitt while he stood on his driveway. Hammer has been apprehended.

Proffitt had retired from law enforcement in 2009. He had served as the chief of the Tompkinsville (Ky.) Police Department. Proffitt had also served as the Monroe County Sheriff and as a court bailiff.

Tags: Police Chiefs, Retired Officers, Tompkinsville (Ky.) PD

Chief Larry Lawrence @ 8/30/2012 4:11 PM

SOAR WITH THE EAGLES BROTHER AND IN GOD SPEED!!!

RAL @ 8/30/2012 4:33 PM

What happened to the POS who murdered Chief Profitt?

David Armstrong @ 8/30/2012 4:35 PM

Revenge shootings don't happen often, but this is a reminder that they do happen. So long, Chief....go with God!

south fla deputy @ 8/30/2012 4:48 PM

i guess when i get asked on the stand, "do you always take your trash bin and recycles out to the curb with a gun in the waistband of your running shorts?" i can refer the attorney of record to this story.

Frank @ 8/30/2012 4:48 PM

I get a sick stomach everytime I open this Newsletter and fine another LEO shot and killed. I'm the type of person that would like to turn the clock back to the late 1800's and chase this POS down and shoot him where he stands. Forty years of dealing with the skum of the earth and he gets shot at his mailbox. I want to thank the Liberal Justice System again. I sure he's had a long criminal history. RIP Chief!

Treyce Montoya @ 8/30/2012 4:56 PM

What a COWARD POS! RIP Chief Proffitt - thank you for your time serving our streets. Many prayers go out to your fellow officers across the world and your loved ones!

Rudy Medina @ 8/30/2012 4:56 PM

I was shopping with my wife , at a bulk sales store , approximately 50 miles from where I reside. At that time I was employed as a Policeman in my city. While in one of the aisles, a subject, approched me, walking directly at me, with a stern look and was staring at my face, as he walked toward me. I instinctly, stuck my hand into my coat pocket, and grasped my weapon, expecting to have some trouble, but it turned out, he was someone who, years ago, I arrested, and he subsequently went to prison. He noticed my move, and blurted out, he meant me no harm. He just recognized me , and wanted to thank me for treating him with courtesy, and like a gentleman. To me it was an eye opening experience. He could have been a threat, but I was able to see him coming, Chief Proffit, must have not had the chance I had.-An officer must always be prepared to confront a threat, whenever he is on duty or retired, ---My heartfelt condolences to Chf Proffits' family, and thank you sir, for your service.

Patrick O'Donoghue @ 8/30/2012 5:08 PM

I hope they hang that POS that took this Chief's life. I can't fathem why someone would do such a thing. He was elderly and unarmed so he didn't have a chance. May you rest in peace Chief and may the COWARD that took your life burn in hell!!!!!!

Sgt. Mike @ 8/30/2012 5:14 PM

Rest in Peace brother. You've earned it.

Tim Mullins @ 8/30/2012 5:16 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth Treyce!...An absolute coward! Hammer you piece of shit!...You think you're a hero with the rest of the maggots?... They need to speed up the death penalty for all poor neglected scum that had a difficult child hood. You poor soles. You make me want to throw up and all you do good liberals that think that these "things" can be helped!...My prayers for the Chief and his family.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Russ @ 8/30/2012 5:24 PM

People like this deserve to be put to death by whatever means the family wants. Might I suggest cutting him... pouring some alcohol on his wounds and shoving him into a shark pit... then God can boot his ass to hell, where he belongs. The state and people should not have to support a pos like this! The 40 year career this hero had he touched so many people's lives. This guy is a worthless waste of breathable air! Hope he get's the fast track to the chair, or needle whatever the people have riddled the death penalty down to these days there. With any luck, he won't make it through jail....

RICHARD @ 8/30/2012 5:32 PM

YOU HAVE EARNED YOUR VACATION, I HOPE IT IS EVERYTHING WE DREAM OF. WHEN IT'S MY TURN TO RETIRE TO HEAVEN IT WOULD BE HONORED TO SHAKE YOUR HAND.
ON ANOTHER NOTE, BACK IN THE 80'S I ARRESTED A DRUNK IN LOS ANGELES. WHILE CARRYING HIM TO THE PATROL CAR HE BIT OFF A I'2 INCH OF MEAT FROM MY RT ARM. YOU COULD ACTUALLY SEE THE VEINS AND INTERNAL ORGANS OF THE ARM BEFORE THE BLOOD STARTED. THE RESCUE AMBULANCE TEMPORARILY TREATED MY ARM AND PREPARED THE PERP FOR HIS RIDE TO THE ER. THIS WAS ON A FRIDAY NIGHT. THE FOLLOWING SUNDAY I WAS AT DISNEYLAND WITH MY FAMILY WHEN I BUMPED SHOULDERS WITH A HUSKY LATINO MALE. YOU GUESSED IT. HE MADE BAIL AND WE BUMPED SHOULDERS AT A PARK WITH SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND PATRONS. HE DID NOT REMEMBER ME BUT I WILL NEVER FORGET HIM. THE MORAL OF THE STORY, WHO THE HELL KNOWS, BUT I HAVE NEVER LEFT THE HOUSE UN-ARMED SINCE THE INCIDENT. AND HE GOT ONE YEAR, SUSPENDED SENTENCE FOR THE BATTERY ON ME. THE COURT TOOK INTO THE CONSIDERATION THAT HE WAS INTOXICATED AND HAD A FAMILY TO SUPPORT.

pjdonnelly @ 8/30/2012 7:03 PM

RIP Chief. My thoughts and prayers are for you and your family. And my family wonders why I carry a gun wherever I go!

Chief DaleFord @ 8/30/2012 7:29 PM

I am currently the Chief in Tompkinsville,ky. Chief Proffitt, is known in our community as ( Sprocket ) He has over 50 years in law enforcement in our county.I worked for or with him for many years.He was on of the finest officers I have had the privilege to know.He was also very close to his family.He was a big influence in my life,I learned a great from him.He was good with the young people and knew how to talk and reason with just about anyone.He was never backup if you called for help,He took the lead.He will always be remembered and missed.I thank all of you for the kind words and support for my friend,Herbert SPROCKET Proffitt. GOD BLESS YOU. CHIEF DALE FORD, TOMPKINSVILLE POLICE DEPT>

Jeff @ 8/30/2012 7:36 PM

A sad day for our country when this happens!

Edward L. Gilmore @ 8/30/2012 7:53 PM

As a 35 year law enforcement person and current Chief of Police, I say "Rest In Peace" my LEO brother! May God welcome you into his presenceand my your family here on earth be comforted by the memories of all the good you stood for during your most worthy life! I offer you my personal salute!!

John @ 8/30/2012 8:00 PM

Go with God, Chief. You were taken too soon, and I send my condolences and gratitude for all their support to your family.

Laura @ 8/30/2012 9:18 PM

Normally I wouldn't talk like this but they need to torture and then put to death that lily liveried piece of chicken shit!
RIP Chief Proffitt. My condolences to your family and fellow LEO friends & family.

Tim @ 8/30/2012 9:34 PM

I hope the CO's in the prison this slimeball is sent to have their own revenge on this criminal filth. So taxpayers are going to have to pay to keep this animal alive in his cage? Time to bring back the Roman Circus and put this scumbag in a ring with a hungry lion and see how long he lasts.

Scott @ 8/30/2012 10:17 PM

My prayers go out to the Chief's family. Thank you Chief for your years of service. Hammer rot in hell.

Robert Nichols @ 8/30/2012 10:57 PM

Go with God Chief. That is why I ALWAYS go armed.

JD Duncan @ 8/31/2012 1:41 AM

"God Bless those who work for peace, for they will be called children of God". Book of Matthew; Chapter 5:9. God's promise to the Chief which he now is in the presence of his glory forever.
As for the bad guy----Listen Brothers and Sisters every day we suffer and die for the sake of God's Kingdom. What an honor and privledge to be his warrior. I am retired now but I will ride in God's army one day again.

Wayne Hundemann @ 8/31/2012 1:53 AM

Rest In Peace Chief. Other LEOs and people laugh at me because I'm always carrying. It's one of the only jobs that you're IT 24/7 the rest of your life. You never know who is hunting for you. RIP Chief....keep the Lord safe.

Cpl. Faulkner @ 8/31/2012 5:15 AM

it's a shame when you dedicate 40 years of service to be ultimately be gunned down in your driveway . let this be a lesson to all leo's out there that we must be on our guard at all times even when we are through with law enforcement . it's a shame .

Juan 10-13 @ 8/31/2012 6:21 AM

Thank you "Sprocket" for your devoted dedication and influence that inspired many Brothers and Sisters. God speed and peace be with your family...Amen!

Chief Chris D. Bell @ 8/31/2012 6:42 AM

God takes care of his Warriors, rest in peace Chief. All Officers active or retired should carry at all times, for your safety and the safety of everyone around you. I carry 24/7 just in case. I'd rather be judged by 12 peers than carried by 6 Officers.

c. britt @ 8/31/2012 6:53 AM

RIP. Chief, will see you someday,brother.

TucsonJohn @ 8/31/2012 9:27 AM

When I wheel my garbage bin out to the curb or check my mailbox, Mr. Glock goes with me. Even tho my chance of meeting a UPOS is 1 in a million, confrontations like this do happen. Burned into my little pea-brain is that life-saving rule: "Better to have and not need than need and not have." RIP chief!

Steve @ 8/31/2012 11:06 AM

This'll be one to keep an eye on. I hear the Chief's murderer was also in his 80s. Can a jury really have sympothy for a murderer just because of his age? Happens with the very young...hopefully the jury will do what is just and put him away for the rest of his life, even if that's a couple of years!

gerald tolbert @ 8/31/2012 11:54 AM

I am Chief of a small City in N.C. I was supporting our local Sheriff and wearing a supporter shirt.A subject came up to me in Wal Mart upset about our Sheriff,saying all the Sheriff wanted was to Shoot citizens with the County SWAT team.I explained to him some people had to be shot,which made him more upset.The subject left saying some bad things but he left.I always carry now.My Prayers are with the Chief's family and I hope justice is served on the suspect..

Bill Evans @ 8/31/2012 1:40 PM

Chief,

Rest in peace. You won't have to be looking over your shoulder, sitting in restaurants facing the door, moving your eyes watching everything and everyone around you, anymore. God bless you and your family and the people of Tompkinsville.

Bobbi Jo @ 8/31/2012 7:18 PM

Rest In Peace, Chief. My husband spent 30+ years as an officer and he always carries when we leave the house now. Not only for his protection, but for mine too. Thank you, Chief, for your years of service. God Bless you and your family.

mel @ 9/1/2012 10:53 PM

first my prayers and condolences to the chief's family. this is yet another senseless loss for the law enforcement community, i am not a leo,but work in the security field at present and have for last 30 years in some security capacity. we do share similar threats at times to ourselves and or family members. it is a tragedy and disgrace that scumbags such as this killer dance their way thru the revolving doors of justice,instead of being incarcerated like they deseve. all i can say is politicians who are soft on crime need to be replaced come election time,also judges who refuse to apply the laws and turn criminals back onto the streets should be recalled!

finally to all you bound by duty and honor to uphold the law and protect the citizens,please be safe and always watch your back!

Sally @ 9/4/2012 4:35 AM

The crime all around us fills me with utter disgust. Why do people not like those whose jobs are to protect the community and keep the streets clear of crime? If you do the crime and you are arrested, it serves you right. We have been civilizing communites for how many centuries?? What sort of pig-ignorant "humanity" wants revenge by killing an officer (retired or not) for doing his job and keeping people in line with the law?
There would be anarchy, were it not for those who ensure that community complies with the law.
I feel so sorry for the chied police officer who must have been looking forward to some enjoyable times in retirement. It is a very wicked thing.It is a very evil thing to have done. I am all for capital punishment in the United Kingdom, but even saying this can bring some criminal out in a rage. I hope that this criminal gets the punishment he deserves for killing an officer (retired or not).

Commander Griffin @ 9/4/2012 5:40 PM

RIP my friend and brother. Justice will be served in your name.

Deputy Wolons @ 12/31/2012 9:54 AM

I represent 187 Deputies working at the 2nd Oldest working County Jail in the nation. I have 30+ years on the job and am constantly reiterating to my members to ALLWAYS CARRY. I lead by example and NEVER leave my residence unarmed. Good bless Chief go in peace.