Two Deputies Killed, Two Wounded In La. Ambushes

August 16, 2012  |

St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff's Deputies Brandon Nielsen (left) and Jeremy Triche.

Two Louisiana sheriff's deputies were fatally shot and two others injured early Thursday in a pair of shootings west of New Orleans.

Five suspects are in custody, St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff Michael Tregre told the Times-Picayune. The shootings occurred in LaPlace.

At about 4 a.m., St. John the Baptist Parish Deputy Michael Scott Boyington, an investigator assigned to the district attorney's office, was ambushed while working a traffic detail at a remote parking lot for the Valero refinery at the intersection of La. Highway 3217 and Airline Highway. Boyington was wounded by gunfire.

Deputies tracked a car fleeing the scene to a trailer park, where a suspect with an assault rifle ambushed them. Deputies Brandon Nielsen, 34, and Jeremy Triche, 27, were killed by the shooter. Deputy Jason Triche was wounded. The Triches aren't related.

Tags: St. John the Baptist Parish (La.) Sheriff, Duty Deaths, Mobile Home Parks

Kevin @ 8/16/2012 4:42 PM

R.I.P Men. Your family will be in my prays.

Dennis Salb @ 8/16/2012 4:54 PM

Rest in peace brothers. We will take the calls from here.

Vincent @ 8/16/2012 5:25 PM

I work in the neighboring parish to St. John and I frequently work near the area of the shootings. God bless these 2 heros who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Not only will their families be in my prayers but also other 2 injured officers, their families, and all surrounding law enforcement agencies who has been impacted by this tragedy. RIP my brothers.

Bill @ 8/16/2012 5:35 PM

As a former Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Deputy, I morn the loss of these two fine officers. May you rest in peace and may God bless your families and watch over your colleages. At the same time, I hate to see their sacrifice become the clarion call for IACP President Walter McNeil to push for more stringent gun control. Obviously the gun laws we already have on the books aren't working...

lukensbt @ 8/16/2012 6:06 PM

While some may call for more gun control, and I would understand let's just take a look at it for a second. As it was pointed out there are already gun laws on the book. When was the last suspect you arrested for a weapons violation given the max sentance? I have yet to have it. Further more, there are already laws on the books reference murder and such. Is anybody calling for more strength for these laws? Again, we just need to enforce the laws we have and not be afraid to send people to prison for the rest of their lives.

Francis Cheung @ 8/16/2012 6:12 PM

Rest in peace, brothers!

Tom @ 8/16/2012 6:30 PM

This is a sad loss for law enforcement and a tragedy for their families. Lets remember their sacrifice. Pray that their loved ones can be comforted.

Show some respect and save the gun debate for some other time.

Mike @ 8/16/2012 6:35 PM

RIP you did your work down here helping people. God be with you and your families.

Charlie @ 8/16/2012 6:48 PM

Go with God my Brother...see you at roll call.

Mike Thomas @ 8/16/2012 8:23 PM

Once again I awaken to the news that two more brothers in blue have been killed in the line of duty. RIP my brothers. God be with you and your families.

Jim @ 8/16/2012 9:13 PM

Praying for the comfort of their families and comrades.

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our protection against the malice and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

Stay Safe

Robert Nichols @ 8/16/2012 9:31 PM

Rest in Peace Brothers, we will take it from here. God bless you and your family and St. John's Deputy's

Tim @ 8/16/2012 10:47 PM

I hope that many Police Officers attend every court hearing for the sub-human criminal scum that did this. They were all very young Officers that were involved in this tragic incident. Execution should be swift with no appeals for the suspects.

H. Igarashi @ 8/17/2012 1:04 AM

Deepest sympathy from Japan.

CONCERNED MOM @ 8/17/2012 5:32 AM

My prayers and thoughts are with the family and fellow officers involved in this tragic shooting. All our LE and first responders are at risk at all times. In NJ our LE receive constant threats from gangs who want to "kill police". Our EMS wear protective vests in our cities. As a wife and mother of LE remember to help your families deal with these events. Its a hard job being the family member of LE but I couldn't be prouder of them and all Law Enforcement. Stay Safe, God Bless You All.

Cody @ 8/17/2012 6:15 AM

John 15:13 "Greater lover hath no man that this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers; for they shall be called the children of God."
Rest in Peace Brothers, we'll take up your watch.

c. britt @ 8/17/2012 6:43 AM

So said, my prayers go out to the family of both brothers.

Dano798 @ 8/17/2012 7:14 AM

R.I.P. my brothers. May God bless and comfort your families, friends and comrades.

Rodney @ 8/17/2012 7:28 AM

Rest in peace my brothers.

Juan 10-13 @ 8/17/2012 8:23 AM

You will forever be with us on patrol and in our hearts....RIP...my brothers!

Cecilio Mendez @ 8/17/2012 12:49 PM

It is always difficult to read these type of news. R.I.P. God will receive their souls in Heaven and will provide comfort to the family, friends and relatives.

Al Gray @ 8/18/2012 12:40 AM

Another tragedy and sad day indeed. Heartfelt thought, wishes and condolances to folks, family, co-workers and Department for loss. Be strong and hold memories close.

IndyBelle @ 8/18/2012 6:16 AM

My husband is a deputy here in Indiana-every day when he goes on shift we know the risk he wil face. Every officer out there is a very special type of person. The only ones that will run into a deadly situation, like gunfire, when everyone else is running away. My prayers are with these mens families and their brothers in the Sheriffs Dept. My prayers daily are for the safety of all you law enforcement officers- the biggest job you have is trying to make sure that you go home to your family at the end of your watch. May God bless all of you and watch over you.

Sheriff Robert H.Beltner @ 8/18/2012 9:32 AM

May God bring comfort to the famalies of both Officers!!And to my fallen brothers,RIP and thank you for your service.Gods love and peace to the Sheriff and all the law enforcement officers these men served with!! Sorry for your loss!! Sheriff Robert H, Beltner,Taylor Co. Sheriffs Dept.,Grafton,West Virginia

MGC @ 8/18/2012 11:13 AM

Sad and senseless. RIP fellow officers from all security officers here in HR.

Keith thrower @ 8/20/2012 8:17 PM

May these brave men live in peace with god deputy k thrower Milwaukee Wisconsin

You Smell @ 8/21/2012 12:40 AM

Why do redneck trailer park trash need assault rifles?