Video: Indiana Cop Ambushed, Shot In Head

July 30, 2012  |

VIDEO: Ind. Cop Ambushed, Shot In Head

A felon with a history of drugs and assaults on officers allegedly ambushed a Fortville (Ind.) Police officer who pulled him over early Saturday morning following a pursuit.

The incident began shortly after midnight, when Officer Matthew Fox attempted to pull over a white Volvo for a busted tail light in the 7900 block of Carroll Road. The incident was captured on Officer Fox' patrol car video system.

The driver, James Roscoe Lockhart III, refused to stop and instead led Officer Fox on a pursuit into Marion County. Lockhart stopped, exited his vehicle, and fired 12 shots at Officer Fox in 16 seconds with a .45 handgun.

Lockhart fled the scene, returned to his apartment complex, and again tried to flee from a cordon of officers from the Lawrence Police Department and Indianapolis Metro Police Department.

The officers returned fire, after Lockhart fired an assault rifle at them and killed the suspect while he was reloading, reports Fox 59An Indianapolis Metro P.D. officer was grazed with a bullet in his forearm, reports the Indy Star.

Tags: Assaults on Officers, Fortville (Ind.) PD, Felons, Vehicle Pursuits

matt @ 7/30/2012 12:39 PM

Is be pissed too if you pulled me over for a tail light.

Aaron @ 7/30/2012 4:42 PM

And that's why you would die Matthew.

chuck @ 7/30/2012 4:50 PM

Matt i dont agree with what you said. Your a stupid f***

mdor0914 @ 7/30/2012 5:34 PM

I am not in the habit of commenting on stories. It's just not my style. This however, I cannot ignore. Matt, this is a Law Enforcement website. You certainly have a right to your opinion, however misguided it might be. I suggest that you keep in mind where you are, and recognize that one of our brother officers very nearly lost his life for nothing more than putting on the uniforme and doing his job. Whatever your opinion of his actions, he did not deserve that. He is somebody's son, husband, father, brother. He is my brother. I respect your right to say what you like. I go to work every day, as did Officer Fox, to protect and provide you with that right. I, and all Law Enforcement Officers associated with this site would appreciate a little respect in return. If you cannot manage that, then at least keep your blatant disrespect to yourself. Thank you Officer Fox. I pray for your speedy recovery and return to the job you love.

Eric Druga @ 7/30/2012 6:20 PM

Matt needs to be blocked and removed from the site. As the warning states personal attacks will not be tolerated and the user will be blocked.

mdor0914 very well said thank you.

Get well soon Ofc. Fox my family and I will be praying for you. Thank you ALL for your service and hard work. Stay safe

Bob@Az. @ 7/30/2012 6:22 PM

matt, let me know where you live & we'll try this out. I'll pull you over and you can jump out and start shooting. Now, mind you, I may not wait for you to act, I may jump a scene or two forward, where your db is being loaded into a garbage can. Asswipes like you are too sheepish to act. May Officer Fox have a speedy recovery and be back on the job.
We need more heroes and he qualifies. Be Safe.

Edlaley @ 7/30/2012 6:30 PM

Mdor0914 thank you for your comment, that incident should be seen as a warning to all of us, no car stop is routine, stay vigilant and be safe, good job Officer Fox

Cp22 @ 7/30/2012 6:30 PM

I wouldn't worry about guys like Matt, we all know he is just another faceless keyboard cowboy.

However this illustrates how anything and everything can and will go wrong at any given time.

I am a little confused, however, did Officer Fox survive? I will still keep him and his family in my thoughts.

As for our friend, Matt, you all know that he talks tough but when the chips are down, who is he dialing on the phone, with trembling hands?

Yep, just what I thought.

To all my brothers and sisters; stay safe, wear your vests, and buckle up.

bobby1874 @ 7/30/2012 6:53 PM

Prayers for the injured officer Fox, there but for the grace of God go I. Mdor0914 excellent post! Matt I hope you choke on your next meal

rg@Misssouri @ 7/30/2012 6:59 PM

Our prayers were answered, I heard from News & Officer.com that the officer is in good conditon after surgey.

DaveSAM25G @ 7/30/2012 7:26 PM

Don't stupe to Matt's snail poop level...and the officer may have just told him to fix it depending upon return...that was before he ran like a rabbit and shot like..........

Partial quote: Strength for the weary - They will soar on the wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (Stay Stong and thoughts are with you, family, department on recovery

B @ 7/30/2012 8:01 PM

Well said Mdor0914. Officer Fox I wish you a speedy recovery. My prayers go out to you and your family. Matt you're a disrespectful prick get off this website and voice your ignorant comments elsewhere.

Aaron @ 7/30/2012 8:19 PM

Cp22. Yes Officer Fox did survive. He was struck one time in the center of his vest. One round went through his hand as he put it up in a defensive manner. The round then deflected and lodged in his nasal cavity. With the description Officer Fox gave, Officers from my department and Lawrence cornered the suspect. He got out of his car and opened fire with an assault rifle pinning down several officers behind a car. One officer had a flanking position and observed the suspect bent down reloading. He told the 5-6 officers behind the car and they all got up and opened fire on the suspect killing him.

JJ @ 7/30/2012 9:14 PM

People who are not law enforcent should stay off this net. The guy Matt should be barred.

Our prayers go out to the officer and his family.

Mark @ 7/30/2012 9:40 PM

My thoughts are this:

1. I wonder why Officer Fox didn't just run the f$#@er over? However, it is easy to watch the situation on the tube and make observations. I wasn't there having to make the snap decisions.

2. I am a bit bothered by mdor0914's remark. It is true, we protect the rights of others. We are sworn to protect and defend the Constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic. However, we DO NOT provide any rights. The Lord our God has lone jurisdiction on providing rights.

Morning Eagle @ 7/30/2012 10:36 PM

I was just wondering why a POS with that kind of record was running around loose in the first place? Our broken criminal justice system? Responding back up officers did a good job and the end result was excellent. Glad to know Officer Fox is expected to recover. All ya'll stay safe.

Scoul74 @ 7/31/2012 2:09 AM

I wish Ofc. Fox a speedy recovery and pray he returns to work.

I wish Matt would stick to websites that support his way of thinking. We all know he'll call us whenever he meets that guy who hates his verbal opinion.

Mark I have read the US Constitution and Bill of Rights and as I understand it they were given to us by men who thought government was a service not a career field, not God.

Stay alert, stay alive and if today may be the day your god calls you home, may you die on your feet in a pile of brass.

Rick @ 7/31/2012 2:33 AM

I pray for a speedy recovery for Officer Fox. Happy ending for the suspect (Scum like Lockhart don't deserve to be breathing). And about this Matt character...well...I wouldn't give him any energy about his dumbass comments. He's obviously "SCUM" and belongs in prison with the rest of the "SCUM" that's in prison.

Robocop @ 7/31/2012 3:05 AM

Aaron, thank you for the update on Officer Fox's condition. My prayers are with him for a speedy recovery and hopefully a return to duty.
Mdor0914, VERY well said my Brother! As for the lowlife that expressed those idiotic remarks, I won't even give him the satisfaction of using his name, just tell him he is a coward.

Jelly2283 @ 7/31/2012 4:11 AM

Matt, "Is be pissed too if you pulled me over for a tail light". Really? Just so you know, you is be going to get pulled over. You is be going to get a ticket and if you is be not liking it, you is be getting an ass whipping. Besides, my guess is, you is be not driving because you is be broke. Drugs is be bad, stop doing them. Hang in there Fox, you'll get through this.

mickey @ 7/31/2012 7:25 AM

Hey Matt... Let's meet in person and I'll splain' a few things to ya'. Chances are though you are a drugged up coward that gets your thrills by inciting responces to your online rambling and most likely to be the first to call 911 for help.
Grow up goober head, if your mom knew you nwere acting like this she would put you in time out.
m

Frank @ 7/31/2012 9:23 AM

Matt you are a A**HOLE! Its people like you that think you are above the law. Speedy recovery for Officer Fox. Lets go back to two man cars in high crime areas. I'm glad the scumbag is dead. I wish more would chose that avenue its keeps the costs down to house these scumbags.

Frank @ 7/31/2012 9:32 AM

I really don't have to tell you guys why private industry is building prison detention camps all over the USA. I beginning to think and the stats really do not tell the entire story. We are losing the war on crime in thie country due to letting in people into this country who have zero integrity and a IQ like Matt.

holly @ 7/31/2012 11:15 AM

Aaron thank you for the update-this video was very disturbing. thanks to all of you who where the uniform.

jwpedraza @ 7/31/2012 11:25 AM

Matt, you are a straight up moron. But enough about Matt. In the end a fellow brother survived and got to go home to his family and friends while the bad guy lost this battle. God Bless you Mathew and all fellow law enforcement officers out there.

Simon Bush @ 8/1/2012 2:55 AM

I'm praying that you have a speedy recovery my brother.

S.S. @ 8/1/2012 7:35 AM

Just block Matt. The guy doesn't even have the grammar skills it takes to post on any sight.

Tim @ 8/1/2012 8:49 AM

This is a scary reminder of how dangerous it is to be a LEO. Watching the video just sends chills up my spine knowing how quick a criminal can pop out of the car and start firing.

naynaybeme @ 10/16/2012 3:24 AM

REPOST FOR TYPO: mdor0914 thank you for your comment to that piece of crap Matt. I am not an officer, however many in my family are, and are also military. I have great respect for the job you guys do, and I want to thank each and every one of you for putting your lives on the line daily to ensure we have safe communities. God speed to Officer Fox. Thanks for taking this POS off the street permanently. God Bless you all. Again THANK YOU GENTLEMEN AND LADIES OF LAW ENFORCEMENT.

lol @ 3/8/2013 2:01 PM

Wow, an entire comment section full of clueless troll-feeders. Well done to Matt, because he elicited a response from almost everyone that followed.. which is what trolling is meant to do. Hilarious.