Off-Duty N.C. Cop Shot at Gas Station

July 17, 2012  |

An off-duty Lumberton (N.C.) Police Department officer was fatally shot Tuesday as he and another officer attempted to apprehend a murder suspect.

Master Police Officer Jeremiah Goodson recognized the suspect at a local gas station in the 5000 block of Fayetteville Road, reports ODMP. Officer Goodson notified other officers about the subject's location. The first responding officer then attempted to take the subject into custody.

The man shot Goodson in the chest from inside his vehicle, and was then taken into custody, reports the Fayetteville Observer.

Officer Goodson had six years of service and leaves behind a pregnant wife and one child.

Related:

DA to Seek Death Penalty for Killing of Off-Duty N.C. Officer

Off-Duty Ready

Prepare Yourself for Off-Duty Incidents

Tags: Duty Deaths, Off-Duty Incidents, Lumberton (N.C.) PD

JBarrera @ 7/17/2012 4:56 PM

My prayers go out to his family and friends. Lord knows I would have attempted the same thing if it was just me off duty without my family with me.

Dean @ 7/17/2012 5:37 PM

This is tragic and we can never really know what we would do in this situation however we all should try and resort back to our training- wait for backup. God bless his family and his service.

Jose Hernandez @ 7/17/2012 5:39 PM

He was a dear friend and colleague. We both started as Gang Officers almost 4 yrs ago. Maybe now they are gonna hear us out about the gang problem we have in our county. Rest In Peace my Brother may God have you in his Grace.

F Deal @ 7/17/2012 6:17 PM

There should be mandatory sentencing for criminals who shoot Police. I don't know if it's better to execute or let the criminal rot in jail and remind him for the next 40 or so years why he is there. God bless his family.

F Deal @ 7/17/2012 6:20 PM

I mean, God bless the officer's family.

T Goyang @ 7/17/2012 9:25 PM

Its always tough hearing about a fellow officer murdered. Officer Godson's family will be in my prayers

bradley @ 7/17/2012 10:48 PM

How many more of our best and bravest have to die before we crack down on these cop killers? This subhuman criminal will probably go to prison and brag to all his homies that he smoked a cop. Now a wife and two children will grieve for the rest of their lives because a bad guy killed daddy. It seems almost everyday I read about some low-life thug shooting a Police Office, it makes me sick.

BW @ 7/17/2012 11:42 PM

So tragic. It's stories like these that make me wanna carry around an extra vest just in case I have to backup an off duty officer.

Cam M. @ 7/17/2012 11:54 PM

My heart ane prayers to the now widow. There are places that are lowering LEO pay to save money. That will really bring in the ' qualifed' out of the wood works. Also, was the officer that was murdered wearing his vest? ~~~Cam

Lambo @ 7/18/2012 5:20 AM

@ Cam. Probably not. I think it stated he was off duty.

cb @ 7/18/2012 5:51 AM

god help his family.

Cam @ 7/18/2012 8:02 AM

LambO, Thank you-totally missed that.

James A. Ploger @ 7/18/2012 9:04 AM

Words cannot express the sympathy for his wife and children. He was doing his duty and is a great loss to us all.

FireCop @ 7/18/2012 10:56 AM

RIP Officer Goodson. You paid the ultimate sacrifice. Prayers for his family for sure. BW I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it's time to carry an extra vest in the back of the POV? Be safe.

MR @ 7/19/2012 3:03 PM

Officer Goodson is a real HERO - may he never be forgotten!!! Prayers go out his family.

Amanda @ 7/24/2012 10:38 PM

I think the man that killed him should be put in a special part of prison and when a prisoner that has good behavior gets a lot on his chest. let him relieve himself by beating the mess out of that man, child molesters, and any other person of a crime against child. I am just saying. They do not deserve to die because where would the suffering be. Make them suffer every single day. They would surely never forget the life they took.