California Senate Passes "Anti-Arizona" Immigration Bill

July 09, 2012  |

The California Senate passed a bill on Thursday that seeks to shield illegal immigrants from status checks by local police and challenges Republican-backed immigration crackdowns in Arizona and other U.S. states.

The Democrat-led state Senate voted 21 to 13 to approve the California Trust Act, dubbed by supporters as the "anti-Arizona" bill. It blocks local police from referring a detainee to immigration officials for deportation unless that person has been convicted of a violent or serious felony.

Read the full Reuters story.

Related:

Supreme Court Reins In Ariz. Immigration Law

Tags: Illegal Immigration, Arizona Immigration Law of 2010, California

Paul from Phoenix @ 7/9/2012 7:07 PM

WONDERFUL news !!! Maybe all of our problems with illegal, unlawful, criminal aliens will be moving to California...... Thank God for the fault line known as California.......

Frank @ 7/9/2012 7:22 PM

Lets all give a round of applause to "The land of fruits and nuts" California you truly are a lost cause. The immigration problem isn't just another issue. If you care about jobs and the economy, the environment, health care, criminal gangs and organized crime, drug abuse, human slavery, public corruption, the rule of law, and the security of the United States, you'd better make immigration a priority.

Now how many more idiot politicians are going to follow California?

Mike @ 7/9/2012 8:08 PM

This is why I am leaving California as soon as I can. California cannot afford to not be another Arizona. Its not about lost jobs, Iillegals work jobs others won't. It is the fact they take from our communities resources that should be spent on the Citizens (dream act). Those elected buffonos quickly forget they represent the Citizens not the illegals

bob @ 7/9/2012 8:21 PM

What's next, every Hispanic that is stopped is entitled to compensation? Why don't we go for 40 acres and a mule for everyone of African descent, which is all or us since the original man comes from East Africa.

Bob@Az. @ 7/9/2012 8:52 PM

Yippee Ki A M*****F*****r! Thank you, thank you california!! Are you going to cede from the Union I hope? New name: Norte Mexico! So damn glad I don't exist in la-la land. I'm an Arizonan and damn proud of it. Our politcians may not be the beat but at least their not giving our State away to illegals. Maybe now our money will be spent on our CITIZENS, not illegals.

Tom Ret @ 7/9/2012 10:07 PM

About the only good thing about Calif is the weather. The residents keep electing these morons so they get what they voted for. Liberals and common sense seem to be at odds most of the time.

Greg @ 7/10/2012 3:37 AM

Yes, Kalifornia deserves everything they get...unfortunately, the federal government will decide Kali is too important to fail (sounds familiar, eh?) and will steal from the taxpayers to build up this solid Democrat voting base.

Virginia cracked down on it's illegals, Maryland whined how unfair we were and bent over for illegals...now Maryland is full of happy illegals getting food stamps, free education, in-state tuition for college (even though military troops in the state pay out-of-state tuition) and the taxes are higher than ever. Working Marylanders are moving to Virginia in record numbers...we don't want them since they bring the same sickness that ruined Maryland with them...this evil happens when Kalifornians move to other states...e.g. Colorado and Oregon...both have become little Kali's.

Ole! @ 7/10/2012 5:09 AM

CA should be returned to Mexico and let Mexico finance their newly found bankrupt state. Tax all the Hollywood wealthy drug users.

FireCop @ 7/10/2012 5:17 AM

I guess some people are just never going to get it while we all pay for it. At least until this November. Be safe.

Trigger @ 7/10/2012 5:24 AM

For a State that is broke how can they justify this action. However if the illegals all congregate there this may relieve the pressure on Arizona. "Today's vote signals to the nation that California cannot afford to be another Arizona," Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, a Democrat who sponsored the measure, said in a statement. How can California afford to be California??

Kyle in China Spring @ 7/10/2012 6:01 AM

I lived in California for several years while in the Navy. Great place to visit, but brains would be coming out of my ears during election time. Like a whole other country...<><

Ric @ 7/10/2012 9:11 AM

Kyle in China Spring, you left out something. You should have said "Like a whole other third world country." Only Texas gets to say "like a whole other country," because we were (and often wish we still were!)

Dan the Man @ 7/10/2012 9:39 AM

That's what happens when you don't E-Verify politicians. I estimate that at 50% of the Democratic politicians in the California Legislature wouldn't pass an E-Verify, e.g., they are using falsified social security cards. It's no wonder they pass laws that protect illegal immigration population despite the fact that Legal American Citizens in California can't find jobs. That's why the state is now called Mexifornia...

Federali @ 7/10/2012 11:35 AM

As a California native I am torn. I love all the natural stuff California has, (beaches, deserts, mountains, etc...) and all the things to do here. But I am F'ING done with these idiot, lame-brain, know-nothing, moronic, scandalous, self-important, pompous A$$E$ we have running the state down! Not only have we hit rock bottom, but the aforementioned dimwits have now started to dig!!! I can't wait untile I retire and move to some other state, one that resembles a state of The United States of AMERICA, not Mexico. And yes, I have Mexican ancestry, so for those of you that were about to call me a racist, STFU! My grandparents came here LEGALLY and more importantly, they assimilated, without losing their cultural history. Political correctness will destoy this nation quicker than any foreign enemy could have.

Dan the Man @ 7/10/2012 11:56 AM

Re:Federali @ 7/10/2012 11:35 AM Comments - I agree with all your comments that describe the California State Political regime and "political correctness." I too have a Mexican ancestry which includes three generations of Marines which have served our country in WWll, Korea, Vietnam, and Iraqi Freedom. As a California born resident, it makes me very sad to see what the Democratic regime is doing to our state. I too, will be leaving soon. So long Mexifornia!

michael @ 7/10/2012 4:38 PM

Well, I can't wait until I retire.......I was born and raised here in California.
This state with the fed governments help is destroying Ca beyond repair. I don't know where my family and I will go after I retire, I can't stay here. It is way too expensive, too crowded, too much traffic, too many taxes and too damm many criminals. I am especially sick and tired of this states legislators destroying our Medical Care, School System on all levels of education, Law Enforcement, Immigrations and taking away our freedoms/rights.

AZBIGDOG @ 7/10/2012 8:43 PM

Go califa, viva la raza against whites. Your politicians are so ignorant of what they are doing that soon you will have no money. The only problem is that when you run out of money all those illegals will look for some place else to go. So lets hope you don't run out and you get to feed all those moochers and gang bangers coming from salvador etc.

Tschako @ 7/10/2012 9:30 PM

I've lived and worked as a LEO in California for over 60 years, and I just don't get this. Outside of the two politically-correct cities (LA and SF) people seem to have their heads on straight. Yet these two ultra liberal cities elect the most incompetent, liberal, socialist AH's that continue to drive business out and throw our money away. I'ts time to consider leaving...

jwebb714 @ 7/11/2012 4:27 AM

Jack Webb and Joe Friday are turning over in their graves !

jshaff2012 @ 8/21/2012 12:48 PM

you people are nazi's california pays more in fed taxes then any other state in the union 1.37 for every fed dollar they take in,tx pay's 94cents for every fed dollar they take in az 96cents,for every fed dollar so look it up and you find that 83percent of all fed take revenue comes from democratic states like ny,vermont,washington ect. so whos the real free loaders republican states, don't believe look it up.its right cbo reports