Miami Cop Shoots, Kills Naked Cannibal

May 28, 2012  |

Only the police tape, the bloodstain on the ground, and a grotesque mystery remained Sunday after the brutal attack on the MacArthur Causeway in which one naked man was shot dead by police after he attacked another naked man and began eating his face, reports the Miami Herald.

Security video from the adjacent Miami Herald building captured snippets of the violence on the MacArthur's off-ramp to Biscayne Boulevard as the two men — one dead, the other gravely injured — lay on the sidewalk as scores of officers arrived.

The victim remained Sunday at Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center. In addition to eating the man’s flesh, his attacker, according to police sources, tried to gouge out his eyes. Neither was identified Sunday, and the name of the officer who killed the attacker was not released.

Read the full Miami Herald story.

Related:

Miami Cannibal Attack (video)

Tags: Odd Crimes, Miami PD, Officer Involved Shootings, Miami Cannibal Attack

dbtkd @ 5/28/2012 11:54 AM

Sounds like an article from the "national enquire".
No Comment...Too Strange

bman @ 5/28/2012 11:58 AM

Wow good job to officer who removed this scum from the earth. I would buy him a beer anytime.

Jim @ 5/28/2012 12:45 PM

Wow, I knew the suspect was naked but the victim too? I hope the guy recovers so we can find out what in the world this was all about! Very bazaar to say the least!

Tom Ret @ 5/28/2012 12:48 PM

Zombies fact or fiction

starrman69 @ 5/28/2012 1:08 PM

Man, am I glad that I'm retired. There's just too much crazy stuff going on today....and I thought that I had seen it all...

mike @ 5/28/2012 1:09 PM

sounds like a scene from "the Walking Dead" next is we'll have people getting infected and the whole world going crazy with this! OH NO!!!

christopher @ 5/28/2012 1:16 PM

Since when is it OK for an officer to use deadly force against an unarmed suspect. There are other options.. such as physically laying hands on the suspect, pepper spray, utilizing baton - pr24, taser. To just pull up to scene and see blood is not reason enough to justify this shooting. The officer has more responsibility to justify this shooting... Sorry, but in my opinion the officer should be arrested or charged with department violations or both..

Marshal1521 @ 5/28/2012 1:26 PM

Here's a good example of why you don't smoke wet. You end up naked with another man in broad daylight having your face eaten off.

Eddie @ 5/28/2012 1:30 PM

The Police Officer who shot this psycho thus saving the victms life deserves a Medal !!!!

TimFromLA @ 5/28/2012 1:38 PM

Pestilence

TimFromLA @ 5/28/2012 1:38 PM

Pestilence

Mike1014 @ 5/28/2012 1:42 PM

Christopher---- Really??? Imagine that it was you who was having his face eaten off of his skull......Would you not want someone to take decisive action in your defense??? C'mon... While I cant speak for other states, it is perfectly acceptable to use deadly force against a potentially fatal attack on yourself or others. One does not have to be armed to be a threat to life. I commend the officer who took this action and hopefully saved a life in this bizarre incident. Stay safe

Michael @ 5/28/2012 1:52 PM

Christopher, it is obvious you have never been a cop, the man was using deadly force and was met with deadly force by the officer. Tasers fail, pepper spray fails, and you have never fought anyone who has smoked wet. Please keep your day job as an expert in all things so you can continue to tell us real cops how to do our job. God speed to the officer involved, Good Job!

Bob@Az. @ 5/28/2012 2:29 PM

christopher, It's very clear you've never been a Sheepdog, only a sheep. This Officer responded to attempted murder with lethal force because thats what it took to stop the attack. Of course, he could have tried to reason with the attacker, ask about his childhood, wether he was ever bullied in kindergarden, etc. By that time the victem would have bled out and the attacker would look for fresh blood. Good job Officer.You did the right thing.

James Mitchell @ 5/28/2012 2:34 PM

To Christopher.....this officer should be arrested? You have just climbed to #1 on alktime a$!hole list. For you to make a blatant comment like just shows your lack of knowledge, experience, and courage. How many commands should he have continued to yell at the POS? The victim's life was in immediate jeopardy and the officer saved a life. I suppose if the victim had been an officer then you'd be asking for the death penalty against one of our latest heroes you coward.

TripWire @ 5/28/2012 2:55 PM

@christopher- you weren't there so you're opinion means jack. Obviously the guy posed a serious danger to the officer as well as the public. For gods sake man, he chewed some guys face off!

Voiceofthemartyr @ 5/28/2012 3:09 PM

Really??? There are actually people who think the officer should not have killed the pyscho to save the victim???? He was ordered to stop! He was shot more than once and continued to feast on a live human!!! And you think he should be charged with anything other than being a HERO??? You may feel different if it were your face... or your loved one's face he was eating off...... just sayin.

CDRCRASH @ 5/28/2012 3:11 PM

"In addition to eating the man’s flesh, his attacker, according to police sources, tried to gouge out his eye"
These are phrases and actions of a seriously disturbed individual. The use of deadly force is not a decision that any LEO ever wants to make but when the need is presented the officer needs to make that decision and then live with that decision the rest of his life. sometimes the used of non -lethal will not fit the situation. The only one that can make that decision was that officer at that time.
The Monday morning quarterbacks need to realize, that until you live the situation you do not need to criticize.

Chuck McKenzie @ 5/28/2012 3:33 PM

Christopher: I am guessing you have never been in law enforce-

ment. If you want to lay hands on someone like this, please do

so, but don't expect the rest of us to pay for your treatment. From the above story, there is not enough information to judge

all that occurred, so perhaps holding judgment is appropriate.

Also, perhaps you should consider membership in the ACLU!

Tim @ 5/28/2012 3:33 PM

Hey Christopher I personally would refrain from passing judgement on the officer until I had all facts. As bizarre as it sounds I am sure there are details we don't know. With Zombies on the loose I had better start working with my SASS.

Jim Beane @ 5/28/2012 7:16 PM

I understand the LEO's first few shots did not seem to interrupt or otherwise deter this strange conniseur of people-patte from his meal--I believe the Drudge reported as many as six rounds fired.

Simply strange all around.

Personnally, I'm glad he put this creatin out of our misery!

mike @ 5/28/2012 7:27 PM

Wow I'm glad I don't work at Christopher's dept. I'm sure the officers report reflects the need for deadly force. I'm all for being liability conscious, but Im sure he was justified in his use of force.

Lt Dan @ 5/28/2012 7:54 PM

Even the media hacks couldn't fabricate this type of story. I have a theory, it involves orientation and chemicals.

FatBoy @ 5/28/2012 8:30 PM

@ christopher - So if somebody is on top of you eating your face and attempting to rip out your eyes you don't want me to shoot him? You want me to get into a physical altercation with this maniac and risk the same fate to myself? Your an idiot. This officer may have saved a life. Give him a Medal

wolfva @ 5/28/2012 8:50 PM

Well, Christopher epitomizes the fact that laymen don't know crap about law enforcement. Don't be to hard on him though, instead when confronted with such blatant ignorance we should try to educate.

Besides, EVERYONE knows you don't go hands on with a zombie! They bite you and you become one...that's how the Zombie Apocalypse begins! Jokes aside, let's see...we have a naked man eating a man's face and growling at the officer when ordered to stop. Yeah. That is JUST the type of person I want to go hands on with. Not even Chuck Norris would go hands on with that guy.

Nick @ 5/28/2012 9:13 PM

This is how it all begins....be alarmed if more of this shows up in the coming weeks....head for the hills. To the comment that the officer should be charged.....so you roll up on a man crazy enough to eat another mans face and you think hands on is appropriate? You are out of your mind....another story said the first shots never phased the suspect so, sir, how would your pr24 or taser deal with a person who isnt even affected immediately by deadly force? Nice way to judge a-hole! Lets see you roll up on that and figure that out.

Richard @ 5/29/2012 12:28 AM

@christopher, you must not be a police officer. I live in miami & have been keeping up to date with the story. So you know Officer Aririves sees a man "eating" another human being's face alive refusing orders from police turns towards Officer with flesh in his mouth and begins to growl @ the Officer. Subject advances towards Officer and fires 1 round which does nothing to this possessed maniac. Fires a couple more finally neutralizes threat. How do you lay your head down to sleep at night thinking the way you do. I bet you have no idea what it is to walk a day in an Officers shoes and expierence what they do. Get a life that Officer is a hero who did nothing wrong. He did his job!

Richard @ 5/29/2012 12:36 AM

And I apologize, the Officer fires 1 round at the subject which does nothing then fires a couple more.

John @ 5/29/2012 1:02 AM

Christopher, are you familiar with the concept of disparity of force? Perhaps you might comment about the research on the number of officers murdered by naked suspects who are confronted in bizarre circumstances.

Unless you have more information on this incident than is provided by the article, you do not hav eenough facts to determine if the shooting was justified or out of policy or unlawful.

Tony @ 5/29/2012 3:38 AM

christopher @ 5/28/2012 1:16 PM

Well fist let me just say a baton is not lethal force but it can be. Second if this guy is chewing on another human beings flesh chances are pepper spray wont work. I know this first hand how well if you pepper-spray me or mace me I can still effectively beat the snot out of you for lack of a better term. Draw and fire a firearm and effectively hit my target. Subdue a suspect even operate a vehicle. I not superman I am human and I have the will power to over come. I'm not trying to call you out or harass but I'm a cop and I can tell more than likely your probably not.
PR-24 most departments went to expandable or friction lock batons more than a decade ago because the striking was not effective.
Hand on - are you serious in a situation like this like I would wanna go put hands on this guy for what to be attacked and may be bitten also.
Understanding the use of deadly force. If someone were chewing you face off and you had a gun could you use it to get them off you in this situation. Absolutely! I sure he may have been in fear of his life. Serious bodily harm had already been done. A felonious assault had been committed. All of which are situations in which deadly force can legally be applied.
Can a third person use deadly force in defense of a 3rd person. Yes they can and that 3rd person was a Trained Law Enforcement Professional. This officer did a fine job. Leave the arm chair quater backing to monday night football people.

Mike @ 5/29/2012 4:33 AM

Hey Christopher,

Opinions like yours are dangerous and are the reason this Country is in the condition it is now. You would rather protect the rights of a man that is running around naked and eating another man's face off than the person trying to stop the act. Find another site to post your liberal B.S. I think Col. Jessep said it best........

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Bob @ 5/29/2012 5:17 AM

So, this was patient zero? Sounds like the psycho was eating his way to the victims brain - typical zombie behavior. Now we wait for the victim to turn in the hospital and on it goes - Raccoon City all over again. Truly bizarre. Major kudos to the officer for his quick action and marksmanship.

Christopher - Methinks that you watch too much TV. Perhaps the officer forgot his phaser back in his locker? Try turning off the TV and video games and a) read about disparity of force; 2) read about taking action to save an individual in imminent danger of major injury and/or loss of life; 3) go for a few ride-alongs in a medium to large city. The medical community has seen a few similar cases. They think that the psycho took some bad LSD, resulting in the same symptoms as cocaine psychosis. That includes stripping naked because the body dramatically overheats, bizarre psychotic behavior, and super-human strength. One incident required six men to restrain an individual so affected. That one officer wouldn't have stood a chance one-on-one with that psycho using anything other than a firearm. The officer did the only thing that could have saved the victim's life and prevented the psycho from attacking and killing others. The officer displayed outstanding judgement and presence of mind in an unimaginable situation.

tbow426 @ 5/29/2012 7:24 AM

Question by Christopher "Since when it is OK to use deadly force against an unarmed suspect."? Answer...Since the first cop walked a beat! Guess he/she has never been in a fight with someone that is 6 inches taller and 100 pounds heavier. Laughs at the Taser and says pepper spray tastes good on burgers. Back up is 15 minutes away and this giant is hell bent on beating me to death. Took four rounds of .357 magnum in the chest to finally put him down for good. Got back to his feet after the first two.

Leonard Mather @ 5/29/2012 8:03 AM

My Internship was at Central State Hospital in Petersburg, VA. Today I am a Forensic Psychologist. The pathology inherent in this act is intense. What needs to be ferreted out are details/facts on the following items: 1) were both homosexual, 2) did the attacker have a history of psychosis, 3) did he know the victim, or was it a restroom meeting initially, 4) evidence for sado-masochism in the past of either one. My hypothesis on the Perp is that he was NOT married, disliked females, was NOT heterosexual, was uncertain of his identity (Borderline Personality trait) and is probably an ambulatory psychotic. LEO's have to wear many hats in order to get their job done.

John Russell @ 5/29/2012 11:37 AM

Oh come on I had to comment on this BUT he was a FINE YOUNG CANNIBAL ge tit old rick band of the 80s>>>fine young cannibals.

Lee @ 5/29/2012 1:38 PM

@christopher: You're funny! haha.

gus @ 5/29/2012 2:16 PM

Hey christopher, the guy was chewing the guys face off! I dont think any of us who are cops would use anything but deadly force. The guy kept chewing on the other even after the cop shot him.

Tom Ret @ 5/29/2012 7:55 PM

Christopher, I could just see you trying to detain this subject and getting a big chunk taken out of your ass. Why are you on this police blog in the first place?

Cody @ 6/3/2012 11:39 PM

Dear Christopher,
When you're the victim on the ground getting you face torn off, I hope someone else tries all the options you suggested before they shoot the suspect. Hopefully by that point you wll have bled out. Could you imagine if your face was one big open wound and a guy on top of you was pepper sprayed and got inside your wound? That cop was doing his job and did it to the best of his ability. If that would have been you, you would be thanking him... If you still lived and somehow had a reconstructed face to speak with.

Yardcop @ 6/6/2012 12:31 PM

First, christopher, are u for real, must not be a cop. Second, it sounds as if the suspect may have been on LSD, PCP, or some variation there of, and maybe also suffering from a psychosis of some sort, the two mixed and you end up with a zombie, crazy stuff out there!

Frank @ 6/14/2012 9:20 AM

Let Christopher lay unconcious and have a deranged lunatic eat his face and then what his opinion of the cop would be for shooting the nut job! Its nut jobs like Christopher that makes it easy for criminals and tough for cops.