Mich. Cop Shot 5 Times Tells Off Judge

May 02, 2012  |

A highly decorated police officer who was shot five times last year delivered a harsh message Tuesday to a Wayne Circuit judge who handed down what the officer called an "insulting" and "lenient" sentence to the convicted 25-year-old gunman, reports the Detroit News.

Detroit Police Officer Arthur Matthews, 40, was shot the morning of May 6, 2011, while off-duty during a robbery attempt at a Marathon gas station on Michigan Avenue and 11th Street.

The shooter, Christopher Proctor, pleaded guilty to two counts of assault with intent to commit murder, which each carry up to a life sentence. But Wayne Circuit Judge Ulysses Boykin on Tuesday sentenced Proctor to 14-25 years in prison.

"This is the message you send to police officers when we try to do our jobs?" Matthews asked Boykin. "I don't expect any remorse from the defendant, but I did expect justice from this court."

Read the full Detroit News story.

Tags: Sentencing, Detroit PD, Assaults on Officers

Patrick Walsh @ 5/2/2012 1:59 PM

We need to STOP electing Bleeding Heart Liberal Democrats into office because these are the kind of bleeding heart liberal judges they appoint. Disgusting. NObama 2012!!!!!!!!!!

TripWire @ 5/2/2012 2:36 PM

A travesty of justice!! This judge better hope that he doesn't ever need a bailiff in a hurry, I would take my sweet time coming to his aid.(Just kidding)

Peggy Lutz-McDaniel @ 5/2/2012 2:40 PM

My mother was shot and killed in 1978. The shooter also shot 3 other people, killing two, my mother and another lady. She only served 15 out of the 80 year sentence. Where is the justice in your story and in the story of my Mother's death. Was I angry? You bet I was! Police officers put their lives on the line everyday to protect us from dangerous people -- I feel the sentence this man received was a slap in the face to you and all the other officers standing on the line each day.

Peter Carey @ 5/2/2012 2:42 PM

To Officer Matthews...2 thumbs WAY up for standing up to that brain dead jerk of a judge. Get well soon.

brian greene @ 5/2/2012 3:05 PM

Seems legit to me. If someone came on and tried to kill me and they were sentenced to 25 years I would find it just. That's 25 years of his life gone. He will be fifty when he gets out. he won't really have a life left. Tell that cop to shut the fuck up.

brian @ 5/2/2012 3:06 PM

Also, @tripwire. Hope nothing ever happens to the judge you are in the duty of protecting. if so, your statement is evidence no matter what your record shows. Wouldn't that be some justice?

Derek @ 5/2/2012 4:24 PM

@ Brian Green you must be a frien of Mr Proctor. You clearly do not have a clue what it's like on the other end and what the law enforcement community do day to day. Well done Mr Matthews

Ryan @ 5/2/2012 5:35 PM

I can see where that officer would feel justly offended by that sentence. I find it insulting as well. But why do some people always have to drag their politics into these discussions? The anti-dem argument is invalid. Trying to associate another s politics that was not even involved is a false argument form, a red-herring.

jeff @ 5/2/2012 8:19 PM

Good job sir.

AGE @ 5/2/2012 9:11 PM

Brian Greene, Shame on you. You are as malicious as the guy that tried to rob Officer Mathews. You are also as irresponsible as that liberal Judge, Ulysses Boykin, when you opened your mouth. ACLU is looking for a few ignorant minded people. You should be the first to apply!

john steele @ 5/3/2012 8:48 AM

i am Scottish and i think f you shoot at a police officer or carry a gun then you should get the maximum sentence lets face it its premeditated and you should pay the penalty there are to many do gooders god said you shalt not steel you shalt not kill along with the rest of the commandments one commandment he left out was one shan't take the piss should have been locked up and key thrown away

Eric Leach @ 5/3/2012 11:31 AM

This is the problem with our justice system ... Liberal Judges and others who aren't directly effected by a violent crime. They sure put their input into the mix though when someone else is .... like this punk Brian Green. Robbery and attempted murder should be a life sentence... when this convicted turd gets out in 5-10 ( on a 25 year sentence ) , do u think he will commit another

John @ 5/3/2012 4:23 PM

Brian Green is obviously of poor stock, so never try to reason with idiots. When someone robs him and shoots him, take your time helping and hope the shooter only gets a few weeks so he can return and finish the job. Good reason for cops to shoot to kill...then no bad court justice.

Righteous Indignation @ 5/3/2012 4:25 PM

@Brain: if you truly meant those words, you should put your worthless carcass on the line next to the courageous men & women of law enforcement who take risks each day, even for worthless sacks of flesh like you. On the other hand, I wouldn't expect you to stand up for what you believe in, since that would take a spine....which you are clearly lacking.

johnnymoi @ 5/3/2012 4:29 PM

Detroilet. What do you expect!

BW @ 5/3/2012 5:14 PM

Brian: To add to what others have already said, you seem to know little about the justice system. He'll be out in 12 years, and he'll probably murder someone again soon. It happens time and time again.

Vinnie Martinelli @ 5/3/2012 5:15 PM

Hey, Brian - you sound really tough! How about meeting face-to-face with Officer Matthews and telling him to "shut the fuck up" yourself?!

DEADMAN @ 5/3/2012 5:31 PM

You can research this all you want but you'll still find that at least 75% of lenient sentances come from democratic judges and most death penalty commuted sentances come from democratic governors,it's just the way it is,watch obama this coming Christmas season with pardons and commuted sentances,especially if he is not re-elected,must be the brand of Kool-Aid they drink,liberal cola.

pj @ 5/3/2012 5:34 PM

To Brian Greene: I am curious how someone like you can even post on a site dedicated to the law enforcement community. This site is not suppose to tolerate profanity either. You better pray that you are not on the receiving end of such an animal. This mans career was taken from him and he will no doubt have physical pain the rest of his life. In the meantime, Proctor will be served three squares a day with a roof over his head at your tax dollars expense. Poor thing will have 25 years of his life gone. What a joke! I have been a correctional officer for 21 years and I can tell you that these inmates do not care about life. They don't expect to live long lives. They live day to day taking from others. As for Proctors mother.....her son is a "wonderful person, a hard worker and a great father". Talk about enabling! If my child had commited a crime like this I don't think I could go on. My heart would be broken for the officer and for my failure as a mother. Won't be long and this "hard worker" will be calling home for canteen money. She can take over his duties as a "father" and raise his children for him as well. Good luck with that. I praise Officer Matthews for standing up for the wrong that was clearly done to him...first by Christopher Proctor...and then by our justice system. You sacrificed your life and career for society. I only hope that we will repay you with a comfortable disability pension. Thank you for your service.

Chris @ 5/3/2012 5:43 PM

Liberalism or conservatism has no place in this discussion. You guys are just looking to point the finger. Yes this guy deserved to be locked up for the rest of his life, but this isn't a political platform. This is an officer's life almost being taken. Get off your soapboxes.

Dustyboots @ 5/3/2012 5:53 PM

You are aware that Governors appoint Circuit Court judges, aren't you?

Tom Ret @ 5/3/2012 5:53 PM

There seems to be a lot of people who comment on this forum such as
Greene who are not cops. Greene is an obvious cop hater which adds to the inappropriateness of comments like his. If the judge had some skin in the game, I suspect the sentence would have been significantly higher than what he gave. The cop who was shot and other cops like him, mean nothing to this judge.

Dustyboots @ 5/3/2012 6:09 PM

Assassinations and attempted assassinations of Law Enforcement Officers must cease ... plain and simple.

Garland @ 5/3/2012 6:50 PM

Brian Green You are probley one of the people that put Law Enforcement down but are the first to call when you need help. Well I wish I was in your area because I sure as hell would take my time in responding to your call of help. I am sorry to all Law Enforcement for saying that but I feel Brian is a punk and does not know what he is talking about. Besides who gets the free attorney. I feel the Judge Boykin Shouldbe removed from the bench. Officer Matthews Good for you standing up for your self. If the judge finds you in Contempt of court I will pay your bail.

Jim @ 5/4/2012 7:26 AM

To Brian Green: YOU shut the f*(% up! Read the article. The suspect was sentenced to 14 to 25 years. That means he will spend 8 to 10 years at best, if he minds his little manners in prison. The suspect will not be 50 when he gets out. He will be 35. The numbers show that he will do it again. The officer has 5 holes in his body by a suspect intent on killing him - and anyone else in the suspect's way. You could have been there. Your wife or daughter could have been there. And I do not believe you would think that would be justice if YOU were the victim. You are very ignorant. Not stupid, only ignorant and not knowing of the real facts. You may be well meaning, but I would guess you are in a safe job somewhere in a nice neighborhood with all the time and energy to tell others to do your dirty work. And yes, I do your dirty work for you. You can blame it all on me and others like me. But all you care about is that YOUR hands are clean.

And I respond to another writer. Where it may not be fair to place all the blame on the Democratic Party, I think it is absolutely fair to place blame on liberalism in the court system. Liberalism is killing us - and not only in the court system. Liberals have become more concerned about the welfare of our suspects and prisoners than the victims and public. It is easy to be liberal. All you have to do is want everything for everyone. It is simple to be liberal until you run out of money to pay for liberalism. The truth is that we have run out of money. We can no longer afford liberalism, but we as a nation are becoming more liberal and socialistic every day. In your thoughts about law and justice, it is simple to be liberal - until you, your family, or a friend become a victim. Then you suddenly change your mind.

Why has conservative become a dirty word?!

JimA
JimA

deputy Becker @ 5/4/2012 8:22 AM

First, Mr. Walsh your coments regarding President Obama only serve to highlight your obvious lack of insight, and your dimwittedness. The judge's repulsive sentencing has nothing to do with political parties or our Nation's President. Next Mr. Greene, since you think a 25 year sentence is adequate for an individual who has demonstrated beyond any reasonable doubt human life means nothing to him, I sincerely hope when he is paroled after 12 or 15 years that he comes to visit you. But of course it won't be you Mr. Greene, those of us who deal with these types of people day in and day out know this. Perhaps it will be your son, daughter, wife or mother Mr. Greene. What would you say about about his sentence if it was someone you loved and cared about Mr. Greene? Your comment only serves to exemplify the courageousness and nobility of my profession. We risk our lives to serve and protect all, even the stupid, the unappreciative, and the undeserving. I pray that God heals you quickly Officer Mathews, you are still needed to protect the flock.

Andys @ 5/4/2012 8:45 AM

It's time to get this Judge, if you can call this one a Judge, off the bench. I hope he never needs a cop because he will have a hard time finding one. Maybe if he gets his ass kicked, he'll wise up.

Tim @ 5/4/2012 8:47 AM

Man up Brian Greene! Love to see YOU tell him in person

Trigger @ 5/4/2012 10:25 AM

Granted there are sentencing guidelines that have been established by DOC however the judges do have leeway. The problem falls in judges are concerned about being appealled for not following those guidelines....sad story. Officer Matthews job well done, thank you for your service.

Frank @ 5/4/2012 5:05 PM

Just think four more years of the present administration and LEO's, you will be seeing a lot more of this type of sentencing. As for Brian, either your ignorant or stupid, probably both!

Ima Leprechaun @ 5/6/2012 4:53 AM

Mr Walsh: Not once do they mention the political affiliation of the Judge, were you ever taught to never assume? Regardless of that, I am glad the Officer was allowed to speak, the Officer was completely correct. This happens all the time, Judges assume (theres that word again) because you're a Police Officer you have to let suspects walk all over you, well they are wrong. The suspect should have gotten life without parole. The Officer should also sue the suspect just in case he should ever come into any money when some crazy GOP Governor Pardons him.

Stan @ 5/8/2012 8:55 PM

Ok first of all don't know the particulars of the case, but he was charged with, not one but two counts of assault with attempt to murder. Both counts can carry a life sentence. Ok a life sentence is relative I guess, Mr. Proctor is 25 if given a life sentence he would remain in prision for the rest of his life..in theroy 50 years. In this case he's been given 14-25 years. He could be out in 10 years with good time an parole. One question Mr. Green, lets say Mr. Proctor shot and killed your child...would 10 years be legit?

Learned Hand @ 10/18/2012 11:58 PM

Now that you've all gotten that out of the way, perhaps now is a good time to tell you that he's an active Republican, who was appointed by Engler. The assumption that he's a liberal is as misguided as the ultimate sentence he handed down. If you're going to use the internet to make accusations and judgments, take advantage of a search engine and get the facts straight.

heywood jablome @ 2/28/2014 3:45 PM

Judge Boykin was appointed by John Engler, not "lib-ruls"

dAN @ 2/28/2014 3:47 PM