The Law Officer's Pocket Manual - Bloomberg BNA
This handy 4" x 6" spiral-bound manual offers examples showing how rules are...

Stabbed Ark. C.O. Was Checking Inmate for Contraband

January 23, 2012  |

The Arkansas prison guard fatally stabbed on Friday was searching a barracks for contraband prior to the attack.

Sgt. Barbara Ester, 47, was investigating a report of an inmate wearing an unauthorized pair of tennis shoes when she was stabbed multiple times at the East Arkansas Unit near Brickeys. Sgt. Ester died later at a Memphis, Tenn., hospital.

The attacker has been identified as inmate Latavious Johnson, 30, a convicted murderer who is serving a sentence of life without parole, reports Arkansas News.

RICHARD ISAACS @ 1/23/2012 6:37 PM

HE HAD NOTHING TO LOSE, THE DEPUTY HAD EVERYTHING TO LIVE FOR.
TOO MUCH IS MISSING FROM THIS STORY TO COMMENT. RIP DEPUTY ESTER.

Lee @ 1/23/2012 7:46 PM

^^ What he said

M.Conner @ 1/24/2012 5:08 AM

Rest in peace Sgt. Ester.

Joe S. @ 1/24/2012 8:25 AM

It’s time to rethink the system not just our criminal justice system but everything, start from scratch. Or at least a real update, It’s all back firing and getting worse every year. (I sound like my parents) Is it wrong to think this? I think I want what everyone wants, to be safe and for my family to be safe, I want the system to work and the persons that beak the law to be punished.

Like the inmate that killed this cop, this is when the death penalty needs to be the only option left, (make it mandatory) not adding 50 or 100 years to the sentence. Is there a breaking point? Or am I the only one that thinks this.

chuck h @ 1/27/2012 2:32 PM

in the first place - what the hell is a lifer doing in an area where he could get a CO...... they should be completely separately from the other inmates... and one office should NEVER be allowed to enter such
an area without backup. It appears that this East Arkansas facility has some answering to do..... RIP Sgt Ester.

Joe @ 1/27/2012 10:53 PM

chuck h, welcome to the modern prison system it is all about inmate comfort and protecting there rights. My joint 1 Officer to 400+ inmates over nights during the day 1 to 200+.