Ohio Cop Fired for Verbally Abusing CCW Holder

January 12, 2012  |

A Canton (Ohio) Police officer who threatened a concealed-carry permit holder at a traffic stop has been fired by his agency.

Patrolman Daniel Harless can appeal Safety Director Thomas Ream's decision, reports the Beacon Journal. Harless was placed on administrative leave in June.

In a 17-minute video recorded on the cruiser's dash cam, Officer Harless and his partner are seen searching a vehicle. The driver, a carry licensee, tries to turn his head to notify the officer of his concealed weapon and is told to shut up.

During the stop, Officer Harless can be heard threatening the man with a felony and telling him, "I could blast you right in the mouth."

Tags: Officer Misconduct, Canton (Ohio) PD, Concealed Carry, Second Amendment

Anon @ 1/12/2012 12:18 PM

I hate to see the guy get fired, but he had to see that coming with all of the stuff he was saying. Plus, if it weren't for him and his partners bad tactics, they never would have been put in that situation. Both officers are lucky the driver wasn't ape s!#& and didn't try to shoot both of them.

Magnetic @ 1/12/2012 12:59 PM

Why would you hate to see the guy get fired?? The guy was abusing his power! I'm glad his ass got fired before he killed someone or ruined someones life!!

Bob@Az. @ 1/12/2012 8:21 PM

It only takes one badge heavy cop to destroy a hundred good cops work. This one needed to go. I've watched the tape several times and that CCW holder did everything by the book. As stated by Anon, both Officers were damn lucky.

John @ 1/12/2012 8:45 PM

You feel bad for anybody that loses their job, particularly in this day and age. That being said, this guy should never have been hired. Somebody should have picked up on the fact that the guy is badge heavy and likes to lean hard on people. Bob could not be more right, one bad guy makes us all look bad. This agency has to look at their hiring practices and their training and supervision. Lots of blame to go around.

gp cobb @ 1/12/2012 8:48 PM

I heartily agree on two of the three above. Most CCH holders are generally more law abiding, better shots, better trained than the bottom layer of LEO's, U right, they lucky or is is blessed? JMO, YMMV

Rick @ 1/13/2012 8:55 AM

Fired? Isn't that terrorist threats under color of authority? That's a crime.

jtpur @ 1/13/2012 3:12 PM

as a retired 25 year veteran of the trenches, I have never seen a more deserving termination. The guy is a total whack job

MHCop @ 1/13/2012 6:53 PM

He should have been fired and charged.

RICHARD @ 1/13/2012 7:20 PM

WOW. I WONDER WHAT THIS GUY WAS LIKE WHEN HE SIGNED UP. I WOULD HATE TO THINK THE JOB DID THIS TO HIM BUT IT CERTAINLY IS POSSIBLE. FIRED, RETIRED WHATEVER, HE NEEDS TO TO BE IN A DIFFERENT PROFESSION FOR HIS AND THE COMMUNITIES SAKE.

Dave @ 1/14/2012 7:13 AM

Fired? It seems all too many times a (former) officer has gotten fired from another similar situation and is rehired by yet another agency, even in neighboring towns. He needs an entirely new occupation and the loss of his officer's license to practice as such a office.

ROB ROY SELF @ 1/21/2012 1:54 PM

How did this idiot get hired in the first place. I guess they don't do background check's and physiological testing there.

Richard Jellicoe @ 4/9/2012 5:10 PM

Dave, your right. This is a big problem in Texas, Many small departments hire off the street, only background is to call the previous department, who afraid of getting sued do no tell the new department the officer they hired is a self absorbed bad cop. In one case in the late 90's a police officer bounced between 6 departments in 8 months. And no one looked at his background until he had sex on duty with an explorer. Small departments are so hungry for trained officers that will work small budget departments. It really is a crime to the public. I carry concealed, seldom does the officer get a warning from dispatch before tell him I am armed and ask if I can reach for my wallet or would he rather I get out of my truck so he can take the weapon. Common response is stay in the vehicle and make sure what comes out is my wallet. "Don't shoot at me and I won't shoot at you". Generally have been treated with much respect by offices who know I am CCW.

Richard Jellicoe @ 4/9/2012 5:11 PM

Anony2 @ 12/9/2013 3:08 PM

Fired? He's lucky he wasn't fired upon. Count the number of threats he spewed out in that video and tell me you wouldn't draw on an armed perp' saying the same thing.