Video: Deputy Fired For Arresting Retired Cop Awarded $200K by Jury

November 10, 2011  |

VIDEO: Deputy Wrestles with Retired Cop

A Jackson County (Ore.) Sheriff's deputy who was fired after arresting a retired deputy during an altercation captured on dash cam won a civil settlement of more than $200,000 from a federal jury.

Deputy Jacob Franklin, 38, claimed he was fired on April 7, 2009, a week after arresting Ron Oachs. A jury awarded him $209,492 on Oct. 25, reports the Mail Tribune.

The arrest was captured on an approximately 30-minute dashcam video that shows Franklin pulling Oachs over as he leaves Interstate 5. As the larger and older Oachs exits his white Dodge 4x4, Franklin can be heard shouting for Oachs to return to the vehicle.

Oachs refuses and walks towards the rear of the truck. Franklin then orders Oachs to turn and face the car. When Oachs instead pulls a small packet of papers from the front of is bib overalls, Franklin grabs Oachs, and shoves, pushes and wrestles him to the ground. A passing deputy, Linda Cooks, sees the scuffle and comes to assist Franklin.

Tags: Jackson County (Ore.) Sheriff, Retired Officers, Vehicle Stops

nights @ 11/10/2011 7:41 PM

I think any cop who arrests another cop or retired cop is twisted and takes his job over the limit. 10-15 years ago, this kind of action was unheard of, unless the officer committed a serious crime. The things that are going on today amount to feelings getting hurt or egos taking over.

Get a grip and stand-up for fellow officers, they are the ones that will not hesitate to help you when the chips are down and some guy is ready to hand you your ass!

CRASH @ 11/11/2011 2:59 AM

nights, where do you see the big neon sign that says "I'm a retired cop?" How many times has non compliant individual's turned out to be retired cops, or meth heads, heroin junkies, gang bangers? I've pulled over cops and retired cops. With the exception of one, they all have played by the rules. They follow instructions, and at an appropriate moment, they offer the identity information, almost always in a safe, respectable manner. They have, with the one exception, gone to great lengths to show me the respect to cooperate with me and then id themselves as officers. The retiree is out of line for being non compliant and shouldn't expect people to use their Jedi Mind powers to deduct that he's a retired cop when he doesn't act like one. I don't offer comment on the rest of incident as I couldn't understand the audio.

Al @ 11/11/2011 5:11 AM

Any true Officer retired or current would know to be compliant with any Officer on duty. This retired Deputy shows himself as a A-Hole that thinks he is above the law. The person that fired this officer should be investigated for misconduct for not upholding the law and letting the retired deputy get away with disgracing the badge and disrespecting this deputy.

Survivor @ 11/11/2011 5:45 AM

The retiree should have complied with the direction of the deputy. It makes me wonder what type of officer he was when he was active.

AZBIGDOG @ 11/11/2011 5:46 AM

I'm retired and know the difference between acceptable and safe behavior when approached by any authority wearing a uniform or positively identifying themselves as LE. If you have to be told to comply with orders, then you need to either stop pretending to know you were a police officer or LE at one time, or become familiar with what handcuffs feel like again.

Derrick @ 11/11/2011 6:55 AM

Off duty or retired follow on duty LEO orders identify yourself and when allowed present credentials while remaing calm and professional if the on duty LEO acts otherwise follow up later with appropiate complaint. I have never had a bad altercation with a retired LEO in twenty five years, off duty LEO now that is another matter, however no arrests were made.

Tom Ret @ 11/11/2011 7:38 AM

Retired officers should follow the officers' instructions and show them the respect that they would want if the shoe was on the other foot. On duty officers should know that retired officers who qualify under HR218 can carry concealed in all 50 states. Officers are not mind readers so don't expect them to know who you are if you are retired.

copcar69 @ 11/11/2011 10:12 AM

Retired, Off-duty, or what, you comply with the officer!! I have arrested an ex- cop who at the time had a suspended license. He never told me he was ex law enforcement and his records didn't come back that way. Had I known he was an ex-cop, I STILL would have arrested him. Why? Because he was breaking the law, he had a warrant and WE are not ABOVE THE LAW. I took an oath and I am proud of my badge. If all officers felt that way, then we shouldn't have any problems right? My husband says it best, "If you don't want to scuffle with the cops, then don't get yourself in that situation." Key word here is COMPLY!!! Nuff said.

Tony @ 11/11/2011 10:29 AM

Why would a "retired" cop exit his vehicle when pulled over??? And then not follow directions!
And who was the idiot who fired the Deputy??

t @ 11/11/2011 6:04 PM

weird situation

halderon @ 11/13/2011 9:50 AM

When the"ex-cop" retired, he became a civilian. Civilians comply with the duty to respond to Police Officers. It isn't a game, where you can lean against your vehicle, and think about it-it is reality.The one thing that I found help full, in viewing these, is to put myself in the shoes of the Officer. The Officer and I agree-I would have done the same thing.

halderon @ 11/13/2011 9:59 AM

I have a tendency to repeat myself,as you can see. Getting older gives me that right-I guess. Sorry guys-I know from experience, that you have enough to read to keep yourselves up to date-that is your responsibility. Mine is to not press the same button twice.

Richard E Wrinkle @ 11/14/2011 9:55 AM

Tomorrow I complete my 40th year in law enforcement.

When I started my Lt told me that Professional Courtsey was not breaking the law in another juristiction.

VCSD Deputy @ 11/16/2011 12:44 PM

Retired cop or not, you get need to comply with the officer's orders just as any one of us would expect. You just can't take the man's word that he's a retired cop. Stay in your vehicle and wait to be asked for credentials. This retired officer probably thought he was untachable because he's good friends with some high ranking officer in the department (which is probably why he got fired). I would have handled this situation the same way. Only thing I'd do differently is call for back up before going hands-on.

seriously @ 11/24/2011 8:49 AM

This young cop deserves more in compensation. Really. He was doing what was required of him and the ex-cop was being non-compliant. This young cop has had his livelihood snapped away from him. Whether you are an ex-cop or not, you are a civilian and must listen to the law enforcement. Not special rights or privileges. I'm sure there was a lot of small "p" politics behind this case. If your looking for a job buddy...come to Canada. We'll treat you with the respect you deserve.

james @ 3/1/2013 9:14 AM

You guys are all a bunch of douchebags. Scum of the earth. I hope you all choke on a donut, or your fat wifes pu$$y flaps.