Pennsylvania K-9 Officer Shot During Foot Pursuit

June 30, 2011  |

A Berks County (Pa.) Sheriff's deputy was fatally shot by a suspect he attempted to apprehend during a task force's warrant operation.

This morning, Deputy Kyle Pagerly, 28, succumbed to injuries suffered when he was shot by Matthew Connor, 25, late Wednesday at an Albany Township residence.

Deputy Pagerly was a member of a police fugitive task force of U.S. marshals and sheriff's deputies who went to the residence shortly before 8 p.m. to arrest Connor for burglary, firearms and assault charges.

As the officers talked to Connor's girlfriend, Connor ran out the back of the house and into the woods. Deputy Pagerly followed Conner, who carried an AK-47. The deputy ordered Connor to drop the rifle. Instead, Connor shot the deputy in the head.

Source: Reading Eagle

Tags: Duty Deaths, K-9 Units, Foot Pursuits, Warrant Service

Candy Carpenter @ 6/30/2011 4:14 PM

How do you rate a death. I hope that biscuit get's the death penalty. I don't understand why he didn't send in the K-9 1st. Now please don't put words in my moth I have to Husky's who I would giv my life for. However what is the purpose of the K-9 for. He should have sent the K-9 in 1st. Candy

Luke @ 6/30/2011 4:26 PM

I will not second guess a fallen brother. He had his reasons to do what he did. May he rest in peace

Tom Ret-LPD @ 6/30/2011 4:39 PM

It seems like it is open season on cops in this country. Either that or I'm more aware of these shooting now that I'm retired. God bless that officer and his family. He made the ultimate sacrifice.

Morning Eagle @ 6/30/2011 6:33 PM

My heart goes out to the family and fellow officers of Deputy Pagerly. Such a waste of a good man. At least the POS that did it won't get to sit in prison filing endless appeals while supported by the taxpayers. According to the accompanying local news article other officers on the scene shot and killed him right then and there. Good for them!

The pace of shooting police officers continues to escalate, or at least it seems so to me. As I see it, one deterrent is to stop arresting the perpetrators because our "justice" system is broken. It is too easily manipulated by sleazy defense attorneys and seldom deals out a prompt full measure of punishment. If certain you have the right shooter as in a direct pursuit from the scene or still at the scene as in this case, instead of taking them into custody just kill them like they did to the officer(s) they attacked. They do not deserve the consideration of being arrested.

Joseph @ 6/30/2011 6:40 PM

I cannot begin to armchair quarterback any decision he made. I only know that another brother of mine has paid for our freedom and protection with his life (Freedom Is NOT Free). God bless his family and the department he proudly served. Go with God my brother!!

michael @ 6/30/2011 11:15 PM

I agree with everyone, we can't second guess what the Deputy did. We all
know that we have done things and then thought about it after the fact, that it wasn't the smartest thing to do. But, that is how we learn from our mistakes and we come out of it ok with God's Grace. In our careers we all do a job that has risk associated with it and we know that. I think that it is open season on LEO's these days and our laws need to change. If a weapon is used on a cop your days on this earth are over with period. The rate of weapons used on LEO's has been on the rise for years and with these liberal AH judges, attorney's etc....it's just going to get worse. I wish I had an answer but I don't, I do know who to point my finger at and where the blame lies but what good does that do for us.
God Bless Deputy Pagerly and his family.

Rainer @ 7/1/2011 12:59 AM

Well, too many (legal) weapons! And in the wrong hands!!!

808 @ 7/1/2011 6:53 AM

For more details of the incident.http://www.wfmz.com/berksnews/28407471/detail.html

Rick @ 7/1/2011 9:11 AM

Before you go blaming weapons in general, especially legally obtained weapons, remember that the suspect was a fugitive. He's broken other laws and doesn't care about illegally obtaining a weapon (firearms are intensely regulated after all). Legally obtained firearms in the hands of citizens are not frightening and with the reduction in LEO's and increase in crime, those same weapons may assist LEO's when the chips are down and back up is still a long way out.

Officer Clark @ 7/1/2011 9:12 AM

I have lost another brother. May God be with the family of this Officer in there time of need.

Randy Lyons @ 7/1/2011 10:03 AM

God bless this officer and k-9 he died what he injoyed doing serving the dept and communty. My thought and prayers go to his family he will always be remembered. We will miss yu

michael @ 7/4/2011 8:13 PM

This is a good case for when confronting an armed criminal just smoke the POS and worry later about the paper work.

RIP Deputy Pagerly.

Dave @ 7/5/2011 9:40 PM

He didn't send in his dog because the guy was armed and to do so would have meant certain death (needlessly) to his dog. In other words his dog was worthless to him in that situation. You fight guns with guns and only send a dog in if your out of options.