Video: Chicago's Top Cop Calls Federal Gun Laws Racist

June 24, 2011  |

During an at-times rambling speech at Saint Sabina Church earlier this month, Chicago's new top cop called federal gun laws "government-sponsored racism," said he doesn't mind being unpopular with the NRA, and criticized Sarah Palin for hunting caribou.

Chicago Police Chief Garry McCarthy told parishoners he believes the easy availability of guns in the U.S. is the latest link from slavery and Jim Crow.

"Now I want you to connect one more dot on that chain of the African American history in this country, and tell me if I'm crazy: Federal gun laws that facilitate the flow of illegal firearms, into our urban centers across this country, that are killing our black and brown children," McCarthy said at a church that's known for its liberal activist pastor.

"The NRA does not like me, and I'm okay with that," McCarthy added. "We've got to get the gun debate back to center, and it's got to come with the recognition of who's paying the price for the gun manufacturers being rich and living in gated communities."

McCarthy finished his speech by recalling a day when he returned home from a crime scene to watch an episode of "Sarah Palin's Alaska."

"She was caribou hunting, and talking about the right to bear arms," he said. "Why wasn't she at the crime scene with me?"

Watch the video of McCarthy's remarks:

VIDEO: Chicago's Top Cop Calls Gun Laws Racist

Tags: Chicago PD, Gun Control Advocacy, NRA

Rick @ 6/27/2011 1:21 PM

This guy is a racist and a history revisionist. The first gun laws were passed in the south ,after the Civil War, to prevent blacks from defending themselves from the white, liberal, Democrats that wanted to dominate them. I love how liberals today keep making comments (out of context) that refer to the Civil War. these comments are meant to demonize modern day conservatives and scare minorities into voting for the liberals. Open carry and concealed carry of firearms by citizens lowers crime across the board, regardless of race.

C Anderson @ 6/27/2011 1:43 PM

WOW! All I can say for my brothers and sisters at CPD is that your screwed. I thought your last chief was a joke but this guy is an idiot.

Edwin Jacobsen @ 6/27/2011 2:14 PM

What in blazes is he smoking? Or is he really such a racist ignoramus that he believes the idiocy he is spouting? As Rick pointed out, it's a historical fact that the first push for gun laws was as a way to disarm black people, and keep them from resisting carpetbaggers and other people who would exploit and abuse them. Chicago is famously corrupt, and this clown is in that tradition.

csimpson @ 6/27/2011 2:20 PM

I am making a bigger donation to the NRA. Our laws say do not kill.

God says" Thou shall not Kill" try teaching that to a "firearm". There is always a club, knife, or rock available if aperson wants to kill someone. The Top Cop asked the question,"and tell me if I'm crazy:". Yes.

Tom Ret-LPD @ 6/27/2011 3:10 PM

After reading this article, I was wondering if this guy ever went to Rev
Wright's church. What is it with Chicago? When it comes to corruption and nut cases they seem to take the cake. I feel sorry for the rank and file at Chicago PD as this guy will be an embarrassment to you.

AZBIGDOG @ 6/27/2011 4:40 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments so far. Where does this ignorant so called Chief of Police get off with calling the members of the NRA and others racist? I have racist for you, any ignorant person who thinks that a gun can determine race and that the NRA wants guns to kill minorities. Someone who is this intolerant, this racist toward a group of persons who believe in their rights does not deserve to be a Chief of Police. Chicago, be prepared that if you are a white, gun owning or NRA member to have no rights when meeting with this constitution ignorant person.

Steve in LA @ 6/27/2011 6:04 PM

Funny, I’ve worked with many black, white, Hispanic, Asian, straight, gay, short, tall, slim, fat, left handed, etc. cops, but not a single one thought guns were racist! The Chicago Police Chief may want to speak to a much decorated Korean War veteran, a man who fought for the rights of American citizens. That gentleman’s name is Otis McDonald. He has been a Chicago resident for over 50 years, and became famous last year when the United States Supreme Court ruled that Second Amendment rights are afforded to the citizens, even in Chicago!

Morning Eagle @ 6/27/2011 10:14 PM

As Tom Ret already asked "What is it about Chicago?" What is it that consistently produces so many political idiots like this? The new chief must have been living in the same primordial swamp as the guy Super O wants to head the ATF. Such ignorance of the Constitution is inexcusable for a top administrator of law enforcement in any jurisdiction, let alone a major city. I feel for the many good officers in Chicago that are now working for one that is a clueless as this guy.

James @ 6/28/2011 6:34 AM

How many thousands of people are killed by drunk drivers in this Country every year, and no one is going after the beer and liquor manufacturers. No one is trying to ban the "use of cars". It's the same with a car and a gun, there is someone behind the wheel or trigger that is violating and breaking the law. Neither will kill anyone if left alone, without the aid of a human being manipulating the mechanical instrument to do something. The gun will lay on a table forever and never fire, a car will sit in a parking spot forever and never move, until a human makes either "machine" do something.

Rainer @ 6/28/2011 8:06 AM

I´m not shore, who is or are the idiot(s) or ignorant(s).
If you have a gun, you will use it....for what? For killing! dosn´t matter what or whom!
When you have a car, you want to go from point a to point b! That means driving!! When you kill someone or something while driving, that in most cases is called a exident!! Ok so far? The idiot is not the top cop......the idiot is everybody speaking for the NRA!!!

FedGuy @ 6/28/2011 8:15 AM

For Mr. or Mrs. Rainer regarding their comment. I don't hate or support the NRA. I do support the ability to defend yourself and to carry a firearm, if you are legally able to do so. I do however suggest and support spell check.

Tom Ret-LPD @ 6/28/2011 2:10 PM

After reading the comments by Rainer, I would suggest he or she should go back to school and learn how to spell. I would agree that it does take some degree of basic intelligence to operate a firearm in a proper fashion and some people like Rainer may not be able to pass that threshold.

Ryan @ 6/29/2011 3:29 AM

Would someone please explain to me what "Federal gun laws facilitate the flow of illegal firearms" Gun laws effect the law abiding citizen. Criminals don't mind having illegal guns becasue, OH YEAH! they're criminals!