Video: Texas Officers Support Rice U. Cop Fired for Responding to Officer Down Call

June 06, 2011  |

<p>Photo: Flickr.com (Paul.Derry).</p>Fellow Houston lawmen were fighting Monday to help a Rice University police officer get his job back after he was fired for responding to an off-campus "officer down" call.

Officer David Sedmak's trouble began when he heard a radio call on May 7 about a shooting at a downtown Houston Greyhound station. After learning that an officer had been shot, Sedmak left the campus – two minutes away from the scene – and rushed to the scene to help. Officers said Sedmak was a hero, but Rice University fired him for dereliction of duty.

Two HPD officers were wounded by the gunman outside the Greyhound station. Other officers took cover behind the Rice officer's car, so they wouldn't get shot, too.

Source: KHOU

Tags: Houston PD, Officer Heroism, Campus Safety

TacMed1 @ 6/6/2011 3:36 PM

Rice U needs their heads examined. I'd slide a commendation in the file of any officer in my command that responded and ended up providing material support. I'd also gag to find out one didn't respond...especially with a 2 min ETA.

nosradna @ 6/6/2011 3:37 PM

WOW!!! That is messed up. Officer Sedmak, Fort Worth PD is hiring and we would love to have you! You can be my back up on any day! Rice University should be ashamed. They would expect the same from HPD if Officer Sedmak was being shot at. What happened to common sense in our world?

Candy Carpenter @ 6/6/2011 3:40 PM

Remind me not to recommend this school to anyone.

marie @ 6/6/2011 3:40 PM

Wow...really!? Instead of being proud that he helped another officer, he gets fired..well, I as a cop thank him for helping another officer in a life or death situation.

Mark Krueger @ 6/6/2011 3:44 PM

Enforcing the law IS his duty. Rice must be one of those institutions that is confused about values too.

blknblu21 @ 6/6/2011 3:46 PM

WTF!!!

tseciwa @ 6/6/2011 3:48 PM

Officer Stedman, I would find another place to work if I were you. If the university is going to fire you for helping a felloew officer, imagine if the tables were turned. What if you had to defend yourself or another and had to use deadly force? Would the University back you or would they leave you hanging? If they're willing to fire you, I think they would leave you hanging.

campuskop @ 6/6/2011 3:50 PM

I work for a University and we have a MOA with the city our school resides in. I am guessing Rice is one of those schools that keep their Police Dept. as "campus safety officers" and don't understand the job. I commend this Officer for doing the right thing and I think Rice should too.... and if not, this Officer will be on to bigger and better things.... and most importantly he can sleep at night that he went to help other human beings, not sitting idly by with his balls in the Rice University President's office!!

Walt @ 6/6/2011 3:55 PM

It still amazes me the more educated people become the dumber they get. The University could have turned the story into a very positive thing for the school but instead they have pissed off a bunch of cops, me included.

Bonnie @ 6/6/2011 3:58 PM

BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Can not believe they would fire someone for that!! I bet they would feel different if it was one of their family members saved by Officer Sedmak!! Prayers go out to Officer Sedmak that you find a new department and quick!!

jim @ 6/6/2011 3:58 PM

SAD here is an officer sworn to protect the public and can't even leave the campus to help protect his brothers and sisters in law enforcement. Mind you he was only 2 minutes from the scene. I only hope this officer gets his job back

Steve Gaenzle-Retired Vet @ 6/6/2011 4:08 PM

The office from Rice University should be hailed as a hero by the university and the public. Maybe the supervisor who led him/her go should be injuried in the line of duty and see who comes to his/her aid. This is a sad day when human compassion is trumped by politics!

J Drago @ 6/6/2011 4:16 PM

Houston PD should hire this hero, thank you for your bravery. From a retired police officer, I salute you.

CLIFF @ 6/6/2011 4:23 PM

TYPICAL!

HIS AGENCY WOULD HAVE ALSO THROWN HIM UNDER THE BUS FOR FAILING TO GO AND RENDER AID IF HE DID NOT.

HIS AGENCY ALSO WOULD HAVE CHASTISED OTHER AGENCIES IF THEY DID NOT RESPOND TO AID THEIR OFFICER IF THEY GAVE A CALL FOR ASSISTANCE, AND BEEN CRITICAL OF ANY OFFICERS THAT DID. I HOPE THE AGENCY THAT HE ASSISTED RECRUITS HIM.

CAN ANYBODY SAY TIME FOR A NEW CHIEF!!!!!

Motor 716 @ 6/6/2011 4:29 PM

I'm a 31 yr veteran at a major southern Calif. police dept. All of us here rely on mutual aid from our "neighbors" especially when shit hits the fan! Hopefully some of this shit hit the fan and spread to the administration of that organization. Come on boys and girls wake up at Rice U and do the right thing!

CWHITE @ 6/6/2011 4:31 PM

Are you serious??????? This officer should be commended for his actions and deserves a pat on the back. I truly would like to know how stupid his Chief is to allow this to happen.

oldfart2008 @ 6/6/2011 4:55 PM

I think there must be something else going on here. Like maybe past disciplinary action(s)? Ya think?

oldfart2008 @ 6/6/2011 4:56 PM

Jack Betz @ 6/6/2011 4:57 PM

Members of the Rice U Police. Anybody feel the symptons of the blue flu.

lisa alton @ 6/6/2011 5:19 PM

Rice should reconsider.... it is the humane and absolute duty to respond to an officer down call... no matter what!!! Rice should be ashamed of their snap decision to mare this officer's record.

Dusty Dunn @ 6/6/2011 5:20 PM

Being a Chief, Officer Sedmark would have received kudos, accolades and commendations. In a time when a few officer's are shucking duties, this officer is fired for fulfilling his. To Officer Sedmark, you are a model of what policing should be.

Chief Dunn, an IA Police Department

frustrated in DE @ 6/6/2011 5:25 PM

Rice U PD is an absolute DISGRACE!!!! Hope Houston PD is quick to hire you my brother.....

Stan Harmon @ 6/6/2011 5:26 PM

Off. Sedmak, I have been a Police Officer for 31 years. I would like to thank you for a job well done...This should be a wake up call to you to find a real job as a Police Officer where you can make a different in Law Enforcement not in the Security Industry.

Unit 1 @ 6/6/2011 5:29 PM

Apparently Rice University PD is being run by someone who isn't a cop.

emtcop32 @ 6/6/2011 5:33 PM

Tell all your friends, no Rice University, it is run by baffoonery and idiocy...If you get d egree from there, it will probably not be accepted as a good university.....God I hope those administrators out there at Rice, call 911 and no one shows up or at least takes their time.......geeeez, stupidity on the unviersity admin level, what a shock.........Good job Officer, you are a true hero.......:)

Jim Davenport @ 6/6/2011 5:37 PM

Sounds like another ridiculous policy issue to me. Unbelieveable and undoubtedly fired by "yes men" and ass kissers that are scared of being involved in real police work. The officer should be commended and hired by a real P.D. knowing how imperative and vital it is to back each other .

Bad in Blue @ 6/6/2011 5:38 PM

First, thank you Officer Sedmak for doing the right thing in spite of the uneducated, moronic idiots that apparently have no concern for the life of another let alone the appreciation for the officer who took his oath seriously and responded to an officer down. Find another agency to work for because like "tseciwa" said, "they aren't going to back you if you have to protect your life or another's. Best of luck!

fireman816 @ 6/6/2011 5:39 PM

This is what’s wrong with today’s society. No one helps anyone else and when they do, they get in trouble and in this case lose their job. WOW, this is sad. Hopefully if Rice won’t give this officer his job back maybe HPD will hire him. He is a true HERO!!!

Tom @ 6/6/2011 5:41 PM

It sounds like it is time to boycott the university if they can't come up with something better than what they allege the officer did or did not do to justify his firing. It is pretty obvious that the officer went to the call of officers needing help without hesitation and was willing to risk his life in doing so. What he did was very heroic and deserves a commendation.
I have news for the university, when the call comes out that an officer is down and needs help all officers close by should be wiling to come to their assistance without delay. In retrospect the officer should notify his dispatch that he is responding but this is not or should not be the controlling issue here. It is quickly getting to the officers who need help in a life and death situation. Was there a life and death situation going on at the same time at the university where the officer should have stayed on campus? No doubt nothing was going on at the university at the time. If the campus police knew of the call for assistance where did they think he went and why was he the only one who responded from the university? Maybe this liberal university does not deserve to have any officers working on their campus. The idiot(s) who fired the officer can take care of the problem(s) on campus next time. If anybody should be talked to it would be the other two officers who did not respond. I always wonder when I hear cases like this if the one(s) making the call to fire the officer have ever put their lives on the line for someone else. I doubt it.

mac114 @ 6/6/2011 5:45 PM

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Ofcr Sedmak should take his talents to another dept. that appreciates the work their ofcrs do!! Do you really want to work for this type of agency that would do this to an ofcr who went to the aid of another? Thay probably wanted him to do a few premise chks and shake a few doorknobs, since that seems to be their priority!!! Great pt. about the U backing you if you had to use force to defend yourself or another ofcr. They would probably throw you under the bus in a heartbeat!!!

BlueLineWarrior @ 6/6/2011 5:47 PM

What the Hell is that school is thinking? Officer Sedmak...you can ride a beat next to me any day of the week.

Chief Ralph Portier @ 6/6/2011 5:55 PM

Unbelievable. Even if the officer violated a policy, fine - write him up but add why. He did the right thing. Good job!

TAC EMT @ 6/6/2011 5:59 PM

Well, I guess the Rice Powers that be should put out a memo that they do not want Houston PD responding to any 911 calls on Campus.
Clearly the learned leaders of Rice think that would be a dereliction of duty on the part of HPD.

Cris Taylor @ 6/6/2011 6:03 PM

This needs to go national, major news networks. This is huge travesty in justice. The officer that did NOT go needs to be charged and not the officer that help his brothers.

sectec5 @ 6/6/2011 6:05 PM

deriliction of duty, his bosses at Rice University should be disciplined for endangering the safety of the Officer he rushed to assist, and the oter officers responding to the call.

Tom LPD RET @ 6/6/2011 6:11 PM

It appears what we have here is not a failure to communicate but what we use to call operating in condition brown. Someone obviously has their head(s) up their a-- and it wasn't the officer who responded to the call for help.

mini28 @ 6/6/2011 6:12 PM

Rice U must be full of liberal narrow minded morons, but then again they can't think for themselves. Kudos to Officer Sedmak. You saved others from being harmed or killed. There were times when I did the same thing while on or off duty and 1 to 2 minutes away. It's your job and loyalty to the ones you work with and the ones you protect. I would hope that someone would come to my aid if I ever needed it. Now that I'm retired, I would still help anyway that I could. You can leave the job, but the job doesn't leave you. Be safe out there my brothers and sisters. Well done Officer Sedmak.

Sgt Bogie @ 6/6/2011 6:15 PM

Amazing...He should be commended for a job well done. Was the Campus Code-4 during and after the incident? The officer responded to help a brother/sister officer in trouble...no greater love! He was proably fired by some idiot that never wore a uniform or has ever had to lay done his life for what really matters...your fellow officers. Iam proud of you...good luck.

Katie @ 6/6/2011 6:20 PM

The Rice officer is a hero and the University should be ashamed! Departments depend on each other for back-up, and the University would surely be grateful for back-up if a shooting had happened on campus ... to the Dean and head of Security, you need to make this right ASAP!!!

LCA @ 6/6/2011 6:35 PM

wow, if that's how rice university treats one of it's officers after he responds to help two fellow officers who were shot, then that's not the place for him to work. he needs to put in an application with houston pd. it's apparent that rice university doesnt support law enforcement officers.

Morning Eagle @ 6/6/2011 6:39 PM

Maybe someday soon who ever the moron was that made the decision to fire Officer Rice will really need help .... but no one will be able find their way to him or her. Some things are so ridiculous they are almost beyond belief.

ArmyVet @ 6/6/2011 6:42 PM

Stupid is as stupid does. Rice is no different than most other universities in the country, full of liberal elitists that think they know more than the people.

ClarksonChief @ 6/6/2011 6:43 PM

Salute to this officer. Just for a to show that institutions of higher education, can't teach common sense .
Lord let me be the sheep dog because through him the most good is done...

OSUCop @ 6/6/2011 6:55 PM

Just another example of why it is time to get out of law enforcement. The entire system is upside down....

Buzzard @ 6/6/2011 6:58 PM

Rice University police chief should be fired! Scumbag move. That officer deserves an award.

Adrian Stroud @ 6/6/2011 7:10 PM

Are you kidding me Rice? Get real. That's what happens when school administrators run a PD, they HUA syndrome. THEY never face the danger, the Cops do. Bravo Officer Sedmak, job well done. Your cruiser allowed fellow officers vital cover. Come on Rice, give the man his job back and pin a medal on him.

RPO @ 6/6/2011 7:20 PM

HMMM, why did he leave Galveston PD and go to Rice PD? I'm thinking they were nice enough to accept him to begin with. Before Officers make any judgement, I think you should probably hold your thoughts. And look WHOLE picture. I'm sure there's more to the story...

Andrew Tisdale @ 6/6/2011 7:29 PM

So what they are saying is if there was an officer down on campus that the normal city police should not respond because it is campus security's problem. This officer should be commended for his bravery and heroism and who ever fired him should be removed from their position because he saved officers lives by allowing them to use his cruiser for cover.

ET @ 6/6/2011 7:48 PM

It will be a sad day when officers get penalized for doing the right thing. Oh, wait...

Mitch @ 6/6/2011 7:59 PM

For all the, "I think he may have had past disciplinary actions against him" thoughts. Who cares?!?!? Find a better reason to fire this hero, idiots. That's obviously what they were trying to do. I would expect Rice University PD to have very few qualified applicants in the future and for good reason. Good luck hiring Rice... Officer Sedmak will be picked up by another real police department and I highly doubt what Rice University PD has to say will carry much weight during the background check.

dmortex @ 6/6/2011 8:10 PM

Lubbock PD is hiring and they have an entrance test coming up. Good money, good benefits and a fine department. Plus you get to leave the Houston humidity and the high cost of living. . .and the stupidity!! Time to move on, brother.

Mark @ 6/6/2011 8:27 PM

While his acts bring honor to himself and the agency he works (ed) for, the college doesn't see it that way. This is typical of institutions that are required to have law enforcement, be it a transit agency, housing authority or college. They want their officers to only deal with narrowly defined actions that directly affect the operation of the institution, never mind the moral duty to respond to something as terrible as an officer down call. I hope they rescind their stupid decision but I am not hopeful.

FmrRuralCop @ 6/6/2011 8:27 PM

Wow. Rice University administration must be nuts. I will go out of my way not to recommend Rice for anything. There have been several times a college/university officer is the quickest backup to an in progress call... and this was worse, this was an OFFICER DOWN CALL! Rice University is just awful. To the officer involved, "There are plenty of other departments who wont fault you for your sense of duty! God bless you!"

annie @ 6/6/2011 8:36 PM

i think this is complete bs

annie @ 6/6/2011 8:56 PM

be proud of your decision and hold your head high!!!then sue the bastards at rice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlueKnight @ 6/6/2011 9:27 PM

Rice U probably has a SOP that states: No officer leaves the campus if there are only one officer on duty. There must always be an Officer on campus. I was a Campus Police Officer in NC which stated you could assist other law enforcement in the local community. Therefore we could assist City and County and/or State police within the local community. I do not know if he was the only officer on duty at the time but do think it is unrealistic to fire an officer for a first time offense. That just goes to show you the Management style of that Chief of Police. Unrealistic. I bet the shoe would be on a different foot if that Chief was taking fire or had been shot. Lets see this picture.....Chief of Rice U gets shot and local law enforcement did not respond to assist due to fear of being fired from their jobs. Not that this would happen of course but who knows now days. The thin blue line is there in brother hood but lets face it.....events like this make that line even thinner with our economy as it is in bad shape. That is why there was a robbery. Lets see.....can there be a robbery on Rice U.......YEP......and chances are there is only one or two officers on duty at a time. It would be nice to have some back up. I guess there is not a good repor between the Chief and local law enforcement. The Chief is in violation of derlection of duty for being a law enforcement officer and not supporting the law enforcement community.

DocJHolliday @ 6/6/2011 9:31 PM

The idiot that fired that officer, needs to be fired and that officer needs to work for a better department. I would work with that officer any day, and the student on that campus should protest, because he would have protected them the same way.

philly6680 @ 6/6/2011 9:33 PM

This is total bs. The cops who should be fired are the ones who were to worried about protecting their own asses and not helping a brother officers. Officer Sedmak should get a commendation for what he did! And if he dosent get his job back I would be more then glad to work beside him in Philadelphia!

TCOIIRN @ 6/6/2011 9:51 PM

Unfortunately, this is how law enforcement's culture has become. Instead of protecting each other, people are just worried about stabbing each other in the back. Good job to the officer! But again, unfortunately, what the pay is in this line of work, it's not worth staying in it. You never know who's gonna get you: your own people or the turds.

GIO/C285 @ 6/6/2011 11:52 PM

sounds like HPD (or any other surrounding police agency posting) needs to hire this guy since Rice U can not grasp what police work is all about and fires its best.

Parkwaync @ 6/7/2011 4:34 AM

Let's hope some "worthy" department hires this hero - - Rice U. have some academic type running the PD - - I'm a retired Fed Agent with a PhD but never lost contact with the street officer and am better for not doing so!!! Hire this officer!!

M.Conner @ 6/7/2011 4:48 AM

The responding campus officer should get an award but instead he gets the door. REALLY! Officer Sedmark is to good for the university police. You deserve better in an employer. That just shows you that they do not support there own campus police. Kudos to Officer Sedmark. I would be proud to have you watch my six while on duty.

Blue Agenda @ 6/7/2011 4:55 AM

BOO to Rice U!! Are you kidding me with that nonsense?? Officer needs assistance call, back-up's two minutes away from the University and it was that back-up (Officer Sedmak) that helped ensure their safety of those officers. He gets FIRED for that?? Hey, Rice U, did you really just expect him to stand-by and do NOTHING?? Oh, wait. I guess you did. I just love agencies that try to dictate policy out of bounds of state law (read: sarcasm).

TacGuy @ 6/7/2011 5:03 AM

This can be a hairy situation when an agency says you can't assist another agency- mostly ovre jurisdiction woes and liability. I commend the Rice U. officer for doing what was right, especially since he/she were probably the closest backup. I wish all officers well and a quick recovery.

Mary @ 6/7/2011 5:11 AM

As a former campus police officer, I say "shame on you, Rice University!" The HPD officer(s) that Officer Sedmak saved could one day save YOUR family. Kudos to Officer Sedmak!

panamadl @ 6/7/2011 5:32 AM

This type of bureaucratic BS is a sad day for law enforcement overall and police officers everywhere!!! We are out there fighting to protect the public, putting our lives on the line every time we put on the uniform. And to have to fight against our own administration(s) for protecting each other is the ultimate "slap in the face" to us all.

I say; all of our hats off to you Officer Sedmak....you are not only a good police officer, but a REAL COP and I only hope you are there if I ever get into a similar situation!

TIMOTHY REYNOLDS @ 6/7/2011 5:45 AM

Mutual Aid is the backbone of Public Safety (Police, Fire & EMS). Getting the job done safely and effectively under tighter budgets with fewer personnel mandate Mutual Aid! The firing of Officer Sedmak appears to be a very poor decision given these facts.

A commendation would be a more appropriate response. A public

outcry from the the citizens of Houston should be a reevaluation

factor for the Campus Security Director. Officer Sedmak-Thank you!

Sniper I @ 6/7/2011 5:55 AM

A great valued university for the brightest and the best it is also expensive. Managed by a bunch of pin-headed vindictive libertines.

Barbara LaFleur @ 6/7/2011 6:03 AM

We need more individuals who are willing to help another person....we all ready have enough apathy in the United States. Give the hero his job back!

Barbara LaFleur @ 6/7/2011 6:05 AM

Really...we need more individuals who are willing to help another person. Good old USA has enough apathy! Give the man his job back...he is a hero to rush in and help.

OFC.Sanborn (Illinois) @ 6/7/2011 6:16 AM

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. The people running the show over there at Rice U. should be ashamed of themselves and run out of town. I thought Texas was one of the last places where hard work and common sense still existed. That is California style thinking and lunacy.

hwymedic @ 6/7/2011 6:22 AM

Obviously this administration fails to realize what it means to bleed blue. It is these administrators who make decisions that jeapordize the safety of law enforcement officers in our country. They have no business governing good cops!!

vitafidens @ 6/7/2011 6:23 AM

This is ridiculous! This is proof that civilian administrators have no business dictating policy to the officers under their employ. Campus cop or beat cop working for a city or county, one thing remains the same: We are all brothers and sisters in arms, each dedicated to the belief that when one of us needs help, we ALL respond! I say "way to go!" to the Rice officer. He truly is a hero. Shame on the Rice U admin personnel for their ridiculous reaction to his service. Disgusting. I really, REALLY hope that the LE community is able to talk some sense into those idiots at the campus. No doubt one of the biggest issues that officer faces is that he is charged with protecting a campus by a bunch of people who have a general disdain for the LE profession in the first place. To their misguided liberal sentiments, he is just an extension of "The man". Reason 4.2 million I hate hippies.

FedCop @ 6/7/2011 6:39 AM

I can understand Rice U, I don't agree, but I understand. There are many, many federal police agencies where the officers are "ORDERED" not to respond to any calls, no matter how serious, outside their jurisdiction. They are told, "If you see something happening across the street like an OIS, you call the locals. If you respond to help, you will be fired!" It's sad when agencies can't help other agencies becuase of politics.

TX Lawman @ 6/7/2011 6:52 AM

What a hero! Unbelievable on the part of Rice University! They need their license to operate a police department taken away from them! Officer Sedmark, Dallas PD would be honored to have you! You are a true hero and you are the type of police officer we are looking for! Thank you for aiding a brother in blue!

MartinFLDeputy @ 6/7/2011 6:56 AM

So this Officer goes to help some downed officers who's only two minutes away from his location SMH this officer should be getting a award he saved life’s that day. I am just hoping that whoever made the choice to fire this officer was in the college's admin and not the department's admin. This officer took an oath to protect and serve I am sure that is on and off the campus.

D. Elliott @ 6/7/2011 6:57 AM

I would like to say that this is unbelievable but given the fact that there seems to be a reality disconnect with the majority of command staff and that somewhere along the mahogany hallway journey they conveniently forget what it was like to be a real cop, I CAN believe it. I am sure that this decision was made by some pencil neck geek who was concerned that someone might park in his reserved space if the campus cop wasn't there or by some politico who thought this was the best way to insulate himself from any controversy. What can I tell you... The curse of the warrior is that he is employed by the politician.

Ed @ 6/7/2011 7:14 AM

Like most college administrations, they think they have their own laws and can do whatever they want.

The local police should start calling the ilumni and cut off funds to these liberal POS.

mdor0914 @ 6/7/2011 8:11 AM

Good job brother. When another officer calls for help, it doesn't matter what color his uniform is. Rice is out of line. No great loss to Officer Sedmak in my estimation

ofpd28 @ 6/7/2011 8:36 AM

Hopefully if Rice wont do the right thing Houston PD will hire this Officer.... I cant beleive this though my dept. would fire him for not responding to this call my supervisors always say theres no call more important than an officer needing help no matter what agency if your close you go

Rod Gregg @ 6/7/2011 8:55 AM

Obviously, the administrator of RUPD has never experienced the loss of an officer, a friend. Unless Officer Sedmak was historically a screw-up, it just seems unconscienable to fire him for going to the aid of another officer. What will happen if there is a need for mutual aid when the unthinkable happens at Rice University? Will the Houston PD remember this incident? Damn right they will. I just wish that I was the Chief of a PD that could offer him a job. This is a crazy story that I hope gets resolved in Officer Sedmak's favor. What is RU thinking?

Frank @ 6/7/2011 8:58 AM

Pretty bad when a human life doesn't mean as much as a chicken policy. Where I worked before I retired it was the policy if you even saw another officer from another agency in trouble you were suppose to only call it in and not give direct assistance. This rule was ignored by our officers who would rather take the rip then let a brother officer die. That was chan ged when administrations changed for the better.

Support-a-Hero @ 6/7/2011 9:11 AM

It might be appropriate to voice your concern to Chief Bill Taylor, RUPD. His email address is: wtaylor@rice.edu

cs9c1 @ 6/7/2011 9:14 AM

Someone needs to hire him. He is the type of Officer you want to work with!!!

CampusPoliceCHIEF @ 6/7/2011 9:23 AM

Rice U. is foolish. This is the type of academic "wisdom" that gives campus-based policing a bad name with our municipal and county colleagues. On my campus, no such idiotic decision would be made I can assure you. We have the backing of our admin. for reasonable decisions, and rushing to the aid of wounded police officers only a short distance away is REASONABLE! We also have the respect of our local peers. I don't know any officers or the chief from Rice, but should they or he be wounded or shot at I can assure you city officers would rush to their aid and the nit-wit administration at Rice wouldn't mind at all. I doubt Officer Sedmak was the only cop 10-8 on campus that day, so there is no real issue of "dereliction of duty." But if he was, the real issue is dereliction of the duty of the administration there to adequately protect their students. Either way, Sedmak acted properly and the admin. needs their heads examined.

Chief James Christian @ 6/7/2011 9:25 AM

I've been an officer for 40 ears, and I've had my up's and down's

with city gov. When an officer is down and needs help from a

niebloring department who care for the friends in a uniform. I would help in a new york minute...I'm a true cop.

Bo @ 6/7/2011 9:28 AM

Really? There must have been more important "duties" on campus instead of responding to, not only a human being, but an officer down and needing medical attention. My guess is if Rice's President were envolved in some emergency those door-lock checks could wait...then why not a fellow officer?...two minutes away?

Lori M. Connelly @ 6/7/2011 9:38 AM

There may be more to this story than has been revealved, but on the surface it seems like a very clear cut issue.

Crime doesn't stop at a border or the fence of a campus. Any officer who has a passion for this career knows that we can't just ignore an officer down call that close.

If Officer Sedmak has been punished for derelection of duty, I hope he gets to carry it far and wide and known to all because in the big picture I commend him for his wise decision. In light of crimes involving 'officer down' situations it would be horrible to not respond. May this incident provide Officer Sedmak with a career with another department that will honor him as much as he has honored being a police officer.

rramsey1963 @ 6/7/2011 11:14 AM

I wonder how Rice would feel if they had an incident at their campus and HPD fired all the officer that responded to the school to assist!

josh @ 6/7/2011 11:19 AM

This is what our country is coming to...the desk person, and the hands on person. Most people that sit behind a desk loose touch with themselves and moral values. Anyone with common sense would commend his heroic actions, but instaed, the "desk" person just goes by a written policy for the sake of their job, not what is right. I commend him for his actions, and feel he did his job and what he was trained to do. A true HERO in my eyes!

wolfva @ 6/7/2011 12:17 PM

This is what you get when non-police organizations operate police departments. Sheer and utter idiocy.

Janette @ 6/7/2011 1:08 PM

I admire this Office David Sedmak for going to help a fellow officer. These people are a family in them selves. This is what they are trained to do. Bless his fellow officers for pitching in the help him out financially. They all need to be commented for stepping up when the situation call for it. If this was a job you loved, I pray with all my heart that you get your job back. If you don't then it's their loss.

Deadman @ 6/7/2011 1:11 PM

He should be able to utilize the mutual aid agreement and the departments regulations to aid in his defense.The Houston Police Department and Transit police Department unions along with other local departments should picket the campus for informational purposes only to effect a rally behind the Rice officerand obtain information as to who are the traditional benefactors of the school to under stand that businesses will be boycotted as also the school itself,especially the upcoming football season.Tickets are available for all customers and personnel.

Chee - Sy @ 6/7/2011 1:31 PM

I know as to the Security By- Laws that NO Security Officer can enter any Law Enforcement type call, with-out first being cleared with the office that the security is employed with. That is singed by the person before getting the job. Now when I was working as Security I always looked out , and helped out when ever I could, and Yes I had lost a lot of jobs do to the way some people in the security company saying " stay out of it " But I could Not just sit there and see some one getting hurt, or killed due to my un - actions. Therefore I think that the company should be nice, give him back his job, and keep the peace with the Law Enforcement Dept. that he had helped. That's my comment!

Mark Brewer @ 6/7/2011 3:18 PM

If Rice U. was sued over the officer's refusal to assist the downed HPD officers then they would have fired him for Failure to Respond. Maybe the intelligent staff person that fired the officer will be having a heart attack just inches off the campus and the officers can watch him twitch and lament the school's policy.

Bruce Denney @ 6/7/2011 3:47 PM

Rice University needs to understand that one day their officers on campus may need assistance...but I know that HPD officers would respond. I don't think I would want to work at an agency that prohibited it's officers from responding to an officer down call.

Chief @ 6/7/2011 4:06 PM

Steadmak, if you dont like Texas, try Ohio. Im sure I could find a place for you up here. Nothing against Texas, but if this is the way the departments do buisness, you need to leave.

michael @ 6/7/2011 4:14 PM

Idiot's Yeah I Bet if the Dean of the University was the Man down it would've been a totally different story..I am an Officer and it unfortunately is getting to the point where we ask do we wanna help. Dumb assswith degree;s are the very reason why everything is soooooooooo fucked up now.

George Klebak @ 6/7/2011 8:23 PM

When this officer gets his job back he shuld personally sue the school officials who fired him. Then he should quit and then apply to Houston. Also, I know this is not likely, but parents should pull their kisd from the school if all Rice officials want are crossing guards. I guess in some circles, the more education you have the stupider you are.

former officer @ 6/7/2011 8:28 PM

WOW! Can someone say fire the chief! The dept says that they fired him because an incident could have taken place on campus and he may have not been there to protect the people that might have needed help. Meanwhile there was an actual life or death call for help with two officers down and an officer less than 2 minutes away on duty in uniform willing and able to step in harms way to help fellow officers with no reguard for his own safety. He pulls up in front of the shooter to help stop the active threat and luckily was not harmed or killed himself! Who knows what rice would have done if the officer would have needed his deptments backing in the event of an officer involved shooting! If I worked for rice I would hand in my resignation immediately and run far away from that bag of snakes!

former officer @ 6/7/2011 9:07 PM

Here is the chiefs email address let him know what he should do.

wtaylor@rice.edu his name is Bill Taylor. Maby a few emails will help him make this bad decesion right!

creecher50 @ 6/8/2011 4:48 AM

Shame on Rice University.

Kevin @ 6/8/2011 4:50 AM

I do not know what Rice's Police departments policy is on rendering aid, but I think you should be ashame of yourself for thinking of such a thing. But I guess if it was a son or daughter of a student who goes to Rice Univ off campus and is need of the same aid, this would not of been an issue for the university.

David Justice @ 6/8/2011 5:57 AM

Well Well lets keep the pieces of crap on the force that ruin families like home wrecking cops dot com and fire the few good ones out there. And people wonder why used car salesman are more trusted then cops!

mike kile @ 6/8/2011 9:56 AM

there are some dumb asses left

ryeesbpd @ 6/8/2011 10:48 AM

Rice University must be full of cop-hating LIBERALS! He is a HERO!!! I am sure he will find a better job elsewhere..he is the kind of Officer we cops need! Sue the heck out of Rice and then go to a better PD.

Chief027 @ 6/8/2011 7:12 PM

I could only imagine the response if an officer was shot on campus and no-one responded from the "Campus Family"??? The educated minds of College Campuses often care nothing for the police that patrol their campus, rather, they are dismissed as a necessary evil, however, the bright educated minds that mold the future workers of our world, have no reserve in teaching our society that this kind of behavior is OK. I know this is not all schools, but I am hoping for our brother from Rice U that he isn't a graduate from there, because in my mind, with decisions like that, I don't value their values either! If they make this kind of decision, how do we expect them too do what is right in their educational value system??? The shame of it all! Goes to prove... people in charge of something they have no clue about! Officer Sedmak... your aces in my book! Get a good police job and forget the school that so quickly forgot you! They are not worth it! Pass that on to your kids as well, their education from a facility like that won't take them far... their reputation will spell it all out. Good Luck and thanks for doing the "right" thing, even though they didn't appreciate it!

Agent Patriot @ 6/8/2011 10:22 PM

If Rice U. doesn't want their police officers than they should've hired UNARMED SECURITY GUARDS!

Chief Smith @ 6/9/2011 10:36 PM

Wow how shocked I was too read this story with the out come that it had. A Officer, A man, A human being lost his job for doing the right thing. Have we truly lost our values in this world? This officer took a oath to protect & serve the public. It shouldn't matter that that public was not on University property. I'm only glad that this shooting didn't take place 2 feet from the University, we might be burying Ofc. Sedmak then honoring his bravery. Job Well done Ofc. Sedmak sorry that your employers missed the point on this one.

Ima Leprechaun @ 6/12/2011 3:53 PM

He should be charged with dereliction of duty too. First off he was not responding to an unanswered call by other officers. The City Police were already on scene with back-up. Second he never told a soul he left the University. What's it take ten seconds to tell dispatch where your going? He knew he was wrong just by not asking his supervisor or telling dispatch where he was going. Possibly another officer was closer and he was affraid he'd be left out, we will never know. If he was shot NOBODY knew where he was, a big safety and policy violation for a 17 yr veteran to make. Nobody at Rice knew he was even gone until an hour after the event was over. This guy is a loose cannon!

Edward Stevens @ 6/17/2011 7:34 AM

I don't know a lot about Rice U but it sounds like they are very liberal and so they are typically against Law Enforcement. Very bad move. Not a proud day to be from that college.

Wojo @ 7/28/2011 5:41 PM

If the officer truely left without notifying his supervisor, then he should be given a coaching, but leave it at that due to his efforts to help out the officer needing assistance from HPD. Working for a university has its fallbacks due to working for a civilian administration. The Chief should have had the officers back and not have done what he did. He should be ridiculed, its ridiculous.

Ofc John @ 8/10/2011 2:43 PM

Ofc Sedmak, good job. You did what any good cop would do. What are we supposed to do, just listen to a radio call and "hope someone gets there in time?" I'm recently retired but you would have been a welcomed back-up where I'm from!

William Basinger @ 8/12/2011 1:42 PM

God Bless you Sedmak. Thanks for helping our brothers out in a time of need. I don't think you'll have a problem finding another job. Let Rice handle its on problem.

riley @ 8/25/2011 9:18 AM

Early in my career, I was a university police officer, and responded to substantial numbers of municipal and county calls as backup. Those were the only days that job felt worth doing. The state university I worked for wasn't perfect, but understood we were sworn officers with a duty to uphold. As a matter of fact Rice P.D. attempted to recruit me and until now I wondered how my life would be had I accepted a position with them. I no longer wonder. Apparently I wouldn't have lasted long in the Limousine Liberal environment at Rice. Here's to you Sedmak! But for the grace of god go I!

Brotherhood @ 8/25/2011 10:19 AM

Rice University is not the only organization that doesn't relize what it means to be a police officer and to hear your brother call for help. I say to him move on a find another department who respects a fellow brother's immediate response to their needs.

chilly @ 8/25/2011 10:38 AM

Same thing happened to me but 6 years ago. I was campus police and there was a burglary across the STREET from the campus. A city police officer had one suspect on the ground at gunpoint and the other suspect he still had on the tazer leads! I show up, for 5 min to help (my eta from the call was 15 seconds), once others came, I left. Next day, fired for leaving the campus "unattended". What makes it even worse??? It was Spring Break! No one was even on campus!!

chilly @ 8/25/2011 10:38 AM

dkn688 @ 8/25/2011 10:39 AM

I do hope that the locals will do the right thing on those traffic stops with Rice officals.... When I 1st read this story in May I sent off a letter to the school.It appears that they do have a case of rectalanalology. I did mention that the officals should remove there heads from that region.

Andy Farmer @ 8/25/2011 10:50 AM

The Administration is run by the dope smoking hippies of the 1960's. They are a bunch of sheep who have no respect, but resentment for the sheepdogs who guard them. They disgust me. I hope something can be done for the officer, who did his duty.

officer Mccroan @ 8/25/2011 11:34 AM

Well, the Officer is better off; If I was the other Officers that worked there I would put in my two weeks notice to quit. Reason being god forbid if now, there was a shooting on campus and campus Police was in the same situaition where they needed help... who would come help? Im sorry, I would be proud to be fired for a reason like that helping fellow officers. We as officers have a responsibility to act when officer is down. All bets off, when u hear a fellow officer call for help! As an officer needing help in a situation, there is nothing like u hearing the sirens coming to help, knowing ur hurt and might not ever see ur familiy again and ur life racing thru ur brain. This university has to understand there is NO boundaries as Officers helping Officers and if the tables where turned they would have expected every officer in the area to leave their post to help their university. Heven help campus police if the university don't expect that help will arrive when they call...

elow679 @ 8/25/2011 1:47 PM

First of all BRAVO Officer Sedmak. No matter what the school says, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!!! It saddens me that in our profession we know there are those that hesitate when the S*** hits the fan. Officer Sedmak without hesitation, and without regard to his own safety, stepped up and came to the aid of his fellow officer. Officer Sedmak is a HERO. He understands the meening of the word Brotherhood in this great profession we know as law enforcement.

Donnie Meaders @ 8/25/2011 4:55 PM

Welcome to America, home of the ultra-liberal college educated university staff. These people are too smart for our own good. This administration would probably have fired him if he had gone to the football field to escort an ambulance when there was a paper cut in the presiden't office. What a bunch of educated idiots AMEN? Hopefully, this officer gets his job back or better yet, gets hired by Houston PD!!!!! He did the right thing no matter what the paper pushers say. Can I get another AMEN?

Paul Foreman @ 8/25/2011 6:19 PM

Yep, I think, hope you see the handwritting on the wall, GET OUTA THERE. Go to a real Law Enforcement agency!
PS and take some of your "Ex-Partners" with you!

juan @ 8/26/2011 5:56 AM

The city that Rice University is in should hire him immeditately! Some universities believe thier officer having the title "Police" think they are just security guards. They are police officers and have state powers first. The rice university police chief must be an administrator probably was never a police officer. How could he let this officer be fire. Once again that city mayor should hire him on spot! Screw Rice university they lost a good cop!

MobileSpike1 @ 8/26/2011 8:02 AM

Hey Officer Sedmak's, now you know who and what your working for. Leave that place as fast as you can and take other officers with you!

DJ @ 8/28/2011 11:09 AM

Officer keep your head up no one likes the police until they need them. Let it had been one of the Dean's being shot at hummm wonder what would have happen ?

Rob Michaels @ 8/29/2011 9:04 AM

To say this is absurd is an understatement. Rice University has a media opp for the good of the school and turned it into foolishness displayed publicly. At a time when officers are being gunned down in record numbers in decades, Rice needs to think before acting ridiculous.

Lamar Denby @ 8/29/2011 9:18 AM

I commend the Rice Officer for flying to the relief of the officer down call. What he did was right any way you look at it. I regret the action of the University to fire him. As a city councilman for the City of Huntington, Texas, I would expect our officers to respond to an officer in need of other law enforcement assistance such as an officer down call over the radio. I pray the authorities of Rice University will reconsider their harsh and regrettable action and reinstate this brave officer.

JJ @ 8/29/2011 5:00 PM

i was a police officer with a university back in the mid 70's and i understand the Rice officers delima. they(dept. & univ.) want u to stay on campus and ignore your sworn duty to protect &serve. even like the rice ofc.reponse to help a fellow officer. your damned if you do or don't!! major praise to that former Rice officer!!

Hoffa @ 9/1/2011 3:44 AM

The line is thin for this reason. Officer Sedmak honored his duty to respond to fellow brothers in need. All my respect to you Sir!

LawMan5643 @ 1/11/2012 8:05 AM

Believe it or not there are departments around the country that feel this way. Cook County Sheriff's department is the SAME as Rice University. They don't want us to get involved in ANY crime prevention methods, if the Chicago Police department needs assistance we'd better not show up to help, we'll be fired!!! The Sheriff doesn't want anyone but the Sheriff's police to respond to police activity. I hope he gets a new & better job as we here in Cook County pray we get a new Sheriff.

ray krahn @ 1/11/2012 8:36 AM

Always two sides to every story

Todd @ 1/11/2012 1:37 PM

I worked for a campus police force when I started in law enforcement. I realized and the campus realized, in my first month as a campus cop, that we both had made a BIG mistake. I wanted to be a police officer...and they would have no part of that, so I left and became a Trooper. I was happy and so were they. Thank you Officer Sedmak.