Photo: Flickr (Willy Volk).
Crimes against banking institutions fell in 2010 compared to 2009, according to the FBI's annual bank crimes report released this week.
In 2010, there were 5,628 reported crimes against banking institutions compared with 6,065 violations in 2009. The 2010 data included 5,546 robberies, 74 burglaries, eight larcenies, and 13 extortion offenses reported to law enforcement.
Highlights of the report include:
- Of the 5,628 total reported bank robberies, burglaries, and larcenies, loot was taken in 5,102 incidents (91 percent). Loot was taken during three of the 13 reported bank extortions.
- The total amount taken was valued at more than $43 million. More than $8 million was recovered and returned to financial institutions.
- During the reported bank crimes, common modus operandi included: demand note (3,142 incidents); oral demand (3,096 incidents); firearm used (1,445 incidents); and use of a weapon threatened (2,461 incidents). Of the 13 reported extortion offenses, perpetrators used or threatened the use of explosive devices during five incidents and made threats by telephone during eight incidents.
- Acts of violence committed during 236 (4 percent) of the reported crimes included 71 instances involving the discharge of firearms, 145 assaults, one explosive device, and 31 hostage situations. No acts of violence occurred during the three reported bank extortions.
- Acts of violence resulted in 106 injuries, 16 deaths, and 90 persons being taken hostage. No injuries, deaths, or hostage takings occurred during the reported bank extortions.
- Most violations occurred on Friday. Regardless of the day of the week, violations from 9-11 a.m. were the most common.
- Most violations occurred in the southern region of the U.S., with 1,833 reported incidents.
Read the full FBI bank crimes report.
A spate of security failures have lead to the resignation of the Director of the US Secret...
An overweight group of NYPD officers has gotten so out of shape that their commander...
The police chief told the city council on Wednesday that implementation could be costly.
Police reveal there may be a new forensic link with the missing UVA student case and other...
State police searching for a man accused of killing a trooper said Tuesday they found two...