3 Dead in Jewish Community Center Attack in Kansas

April 14, 2014  |

Frazier Glenn Cross (Photo: Johnson County (Kan.) Sheriff's Office)
Frazier Glenn Cross (Photo: Johnson County (Kan.) Sheriff's Office)

Three people were killed in separate attacks on a Jewish Community Center and a Jewish assisted living center in Overland Park, Kan. A former Ku Klux Klan member has been arrested for the crime.

Frazier Glenn Cross (AKA Glenn Miller), 73, is in custody the of Overland Park Pollice. According to CNN, the Missouri man is suspected of killing a boy and his grandfather outside a Jewish community center in Kansas City and a woman at a Jewish assisted living facility nearby.

The suspect is the founder and former leader of the Carolina Knights of the Ku Klux Klan and the White Patriot Party. The Associated Press reports that prosecutors will seek a hate crime indictment.

Tags: Overland Park (Kan.) PD, Hate Crimes, Ku Klux Klan

Simon Goldblatt @ 4/14/2014 4:05 PM

As I know firsthand, Jews are among the biggest supporters of "gun control" and despite their tragic history, have the idiotic notion that other people will protect them. Gun control worked here: the victims were disarmed and easy targets. Had a few of the "targets" been armed, as they often are in Israel, the attack would have been cut short. As has often happened in Israel. I would hope that Jews and other people would learn from this tragedy and other massacres but based on past experience I don't think they will. How ironic and sad that this awful incident happened on Passover, a day which celebrates God saving the Jews from an atrocity in biblical times.

Tom @ 4/14/2014 4:49 PM

I wouldn't classify all Jews into the gun control catagory. I myself am a Jew, work in LE, and support the 2nd amendment. True an armed citizen might have been able to take down the shooter, but in the vast majority if not all states the right to carried concealed on religous grounds (chuches, temples, etc) is prohibited. Secondly many guns are avid gun enthusist, my father in law in particular has more guns than myself, and this is true of other Jewish friends I have. I think the fact that not many of us advertise we are Jewish, not out of fear of persicution, but more becuase its not brought up. I don't go to the range and ask the shooter next to me, "Are you christian?". I think its more that the anti-gun segment of the community is just more vocal, at least in the US. As for Isreal, carrying is more a fact of life for many, but there the military and LE is more out in force than here. For example many of the schools have military or police on site.

Tom @ 4/14/2014 6:05 PM

Sorry, typing on my phone. Third sentance, third word, guns = Jews.

Steve @ 4/14/2014 10:17 PM

Sorry, Simon, but you speak BS and off generalization.I am an American Jew, 22yrs. Army Infantry, and have never, nor have any other Jews I have known, believed "someone else would protect me" what an idiotic thing to say. We, as Jews KNOW we are prejudiced against world wide. I am a lifelong gun owner, staunch supporter of Second Amendment rights and understand only I and my family will be responsible for our safety. Only an unwaveringly strong, armed deterrence will ensure the continued survival of the Jewish people. We will always be vigilant, we will never weaken. God Bless America.

Greg @ 4/15/2014 4:08 AM

Wow, an instant hate crime decision...while Maj. Hassan killed and wounded while shouting "Allahu Ahkbar" is listed (eventually) as workplace violence. What is wrong with DOJ besides the obvious. The Klan is a dead organization with very few followers, Islam is a very active hate group murdering/bombing/slaughtering others based on religion or color...but the Klan is low hanging fruit.

Sadly, Jews are mostly anti-gun. Orthodox Jews can't hunt, the majority are city dwellers and the Eastern European culture is typically anti-gun. I belong to the JPFO (Jews For the Preservation of Firearms Ownership)...a great group that laments the all-to-common Jews against guns mindset. Quite a lot of American Jews don't even like Israelis having guns..suicidal belief.

reglaw @ 4/15/2014 3:36 PM

Hasan was officially charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted murder under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. The Department of DEFENSE originally classified his crime as workplace violence until the charges for a court martial were brought. The DOJ had nothing to do with that, with the trial, or with the eventual death sentence brought.

Greg @ 4/16/2014 4:43 AM

Yep, you're correct...the Pentagon classied it as workplace violence. Of course, Obama and Holder had no input into their decision.

reglaw @ 4/16/2014 8:11 AM

Yeah, I'm sure that would have been a pressing matter for them: what the DoD chose as an interim charge until all those murder charges were brought. It would certainly be high on my agenda; it's so important, after all.

AJ @ 4/18/2014 10:01 PM

Bundy Ranch in NV, Psyop. Gov. Beta Testing. Using drones, satellites to get intel on people.

AJ @ 4/18/2014 10:02 PM