NYPD Officer Kills Armed 14-Year-Old Gang Member

August 05, 2013  |

A New York City police officer shot and killed an armed 14-year-old in the Bronx early Sunday, after the teen ignored the officer's command to drop his weapon.

The officer fired one shot at Shaaliver Douse just after 3 a.m. in the Melrose neighborhood, striking him in the left jaw. Douse had kept firing a 9mm Astra A100 pistol after two uniformed officers yelled at him to drop the gun.

Officers encountered Douse as the teen chased an unknown male down East 151st Street. The unnamed officers, who joined the NYPD in January, had heard gunfire and went to investigate. Two video surveillance clips shows Douse firing his pistol.

Douse was scheduled to appear in court on a gun-possession charge and had been charged with attempted murder of a rival gang member in May. Douse is believed to be a member of a youth gang on East 169th Street called the Nine, reports the New York Times.

Douse's aunt, Quwana Barcene criticized the officers for killing her nephew. "That was my sister's only baby," Barcene told the New York Daily News. "I'm tired of the police getting away with murder."

Tags: NYPD, Officer-Involved Shootings, Foot Pursuits

Thomas J. Rocker Sr. @ 8/5/2013 4:12 PM

Here we go again, it's the COP's fault never the other guy. Maybe she should look into her nephew's past and friends as well as the neighborhood he was raised in and hung in. But in her eyes it's the COP's couldn't be any thing else. You reap what you sow!!!

Jim VG @ 8/5/2013 4:20 PM

Ol' Quwana, (is that a real name), is absolutely too stupid for words. If the officers had tackled him and taken his gun away, she would have screamed excessive force and robbery. Well at least this little POS will not have another opportunity to commit more crimes. Good job, good shoot, stay safe.

Martyb @ 8/5/2013 4:20 PM

It's a real shame that a "Young Man That Was Turning Himself Around" (Code Word for worthless P.O.S. gang-banging thug Hoodlum) just wound up saving the citizens of New York the cost of an arrest, incarceration, trial, and long term (a week or two) prison sentence in a cushy youth home.

Best wishes to the two officers that will now have to endure the crap-filled diatribes of not only the relatives of this worthless human but the other agitators that don't want to admit the kid was just trouble to begin with.

Adam @ 8/5/2013 4:23 PM

I agree Thomas, it's never their fault. It's always law enforcements fault for killing someone. It shouldn't matter if it was someone's only son. What about the attempted murder charge. (Innocent until proven guilty). What if that was someone's only son? She would care less. The officers went to investigate because they heard gun fire.

fedtrnr @ 8/5/2013 4:25 PM

It is a shame the officer shot that poor kid. After all, he was only chasing someone down the street firing a pistol at him. The officer should have waited to shoot him until after he had his court date for the prior attempted murder charge. Perhaps if Quwana had taken the time to help raise the kid, this officer wouldn't have to live with this for the rest of his life. Let's be for real here, the officer is the victim. He did what was right and protected everyone else who would have become one of innocent little Shaaliver's victims. Good job officer, I don't ever need to go to another lod funeral but this one wouldn't bother me.
-Don't have kids if you aren't willing and able to invest the time to raise them.

Take care all. .

Bob @ VA @ 8/5/2013 4:28 PM

Yeah, he was turning his life around - to shoot at the pursuing officers, that is. Stupid is as stupid does. Good shoot. I pray that the officers and their families get all the support they need in this difficult time.

Ken H @ 8/5/2013 4:31 PM

I am waiting to hear from the master dirtbag Right Rev Al Sharpton

Bman @ 8/5/2013 4:32 PM

Good job officer! You, your partner or the person being chased are alive today because of your actions. The news story makes it sound like a lot of hesitation on the officers part and almost implies officers need to wait to be shot at or have to wait to see if someone complies with commands. Perhaps this drives that hesitation on officers part and surely officers have died from it. The Aunt of the suspect is the definition of an idiot.

BK @ 8/5/2013 5:02 PM

Legal Def. of Murder - n. the killing of a human being by a sane person, with intent, malice aforethought (prior intention to kill the particular victim or anyone who gets in the way) and with no legal excuse or authority.
LaDouscha's Definition - It was my sister's only baby.

Big "O" @ 8/5/2013 5:13 PM

The sad part is now the lawsuits begin and no matter how righteous the shoot was the officers, the PD, and the City will be sued by the family of the alleged murderer who was chasing another person and shooting at them. These frivolous lawsuits cost a lot of money and waste the courts time.

Anthony Aiello @ 8/5/2013 6:47 PM

Good shoot! The officers got to go home to their families and the perp is in the ground and off the food stamp rolls!

bob retired leo @ 8/5/2013 7:07 PM

I am so glad I am retired to down yonder. When that POS 14 year old toting a gun starting shooting he went from a juvenile to a MAN. Good shoot and nice move for a rookie cop. Now the Officer has to go see the dept shrink and I hope hes not feeling any guilt. Thats what WE are hired and sworn to do, protect the people of the city. Perhaps the Exceptional Merit award is valid in this matter. Good luck guys.

REtired NY Boss @ 8/5/2013 7:16 PM

I'm waiting for Sharpton to put in his appearance.

Bob@Az. @ 8/5/2013 8:12 PM

Lets' see, it's 3am and your "sisters only baby", which I doubt, is out chasing people and shooting a gun at Police. Yep, sure sounds like murder to me, if I was a bottom feeding lawyer that is. To the Officer that saved at least one life, his, try and move past this. Your a good cop with a full career ahead of you, so don't let the street slime get you down. Blues, Stay Safe.

bob retired leo @ 8/5/2013 8:20 PM

oh yes, I forgot about that NY Boss. Reverend AL will be preaching for an FBI inquiry for violations of Douse's CIVIL RIGHTS for the poor man.

Allison @ 8/5/2013 8:39 PM

to the aunt of the kid that was killed...how do you know that he didnt kill someone elses only baby or was going to...maybe if she raised her child right and taught him from right and wrong and kept him out of a gang than maybe he wouldnt be dead....yes i know that sounds mean...im not trying to me mean im being honest

Darlene @ 8/5/2013 8:39 PM

Why do these "Kids" have guns in the first place, and when a PoliceOfficer says, Put Your weapon Down, Why Don't They Just DO IT !!! They know the police will shoot. Are these kids that dumb?

dan @ 8/5/2013 8:48 PM

That auntie needs to shut the hell up. Well.the mother shouldve done a better job at "parenting" another low life off the streets. At least saving some tax payers dollar. Thank goodness.

Bet they gonna place the race card too. Just watch.

dan @ 8/5/2013 8:49 PM

Play the race card* lol opps

Lauren @ 8/5/2013 9:00 PM

To the racist comments already posted and to come comparing this killing to Trayvon Martin.... Your a racist internet thug do us all a favor and jump off the highest cliff you can find thank you. Now on to this story this cop made the right decision and his Aunt is clearly ignorant your nephew shot at Police Officers his death wish was signed sealed and delivered from that point on. As a Police Officer your job is to make it home at the end of every shift so I feel no sympathy for this young Man.

Marc @ 8/5/2013 9:17 PM

I commend the officer/officers for serving and protecting. Can someone please explain to me how the COPS murdered this 14 year old. Oh let me guess either he didn't do anything because he is a sweet innocent 14 year old boy that doesn't run with gangs or it must be a racial thing...... Comments are welcomed.

Marc @ 8/5/2013 9:25 PM

MURDER my ass. Officer was in the right. QUWANA, u need to open your eyes and see is you nephew wants to act like an adult he will be treated like one. That officer save a life or two...

Madi @ 8/5/2013 9:39 PM

If the family is upset perhaps they should have raised him right and not allowed him to carry a gun or be in a gang and be responsible parents! That cop should sue the parents for not being responsible and raising a criminal that put him in the position to have to defend his own life shooting and killing their 14 year old street thug.

louis @ 8/5/2013 9:47 PM

Good job officer's another one bites the dust.

Rick @ 8/5/2013 11:00 PM

Do you know where 14 yr old is at 3 am?

Corporal T.E./N.S.M. @ 8/5/2013 11:18 PM

MSNBC's Martin Bashir referred to the incident as "New York Policeman murders a 14-year-old". Paki tosser needs to book a 1-way flight to the UK and take Piers Morgan with him.

bob retired leo @ 8/5/2013 11:26 PM

I grew up in a poor family in NYC, where dad worked 18 hour days and mom tired to help make ends meet. My friends stole cars, robbed people and carried zip guns and knifes and served in gangs. I followed the path my parents taught me and I knew right from wrong. I went the path of righteousness and honesty. I avoided the gangs and graduated school. I went into the Navy and served honorably. I was discharged and took the exams and became a cop. I served in Law enforcement in both NY and again in Florida. My point being, I was in poverty with gangs about me but I didn't carry a gun or shoot at police, nor did I steal. I knew right from wrong and I didn't use poverty as an excuse. Many of us from those impoverished days had little but we made something of ourselves and moved on.

Renee @ 8/6/2013 3:24 AM

Bob retired leo...I commend you on your life of service. I am a person of color, and I too raised my children in a "poorer" neighborhood, but both my children went on to graduate, join the armed forces, attend college. My "Only Baby" Son was home each night long before 3 am, and he's now serving in the FBI, with a Bachelors degree in Criminal Law. There is absolutely no excuse for a 14 year old being in the streets at 3 am firing rounds at anyone. He got what was coming to him plan and simple. The race card is not acceptable, neither is Rev Al, Uncle Jesse or anyone else who says this was just some innocent lil baby boy who was murdered by police officers in the line of duty. He'd already possibly taken the lives of others, and clearly was on a mission to do the same that night. Hats off to all LEOs who execute their jobs to the fullest of their abilities and make it home each day/night to their families in one piece :D

Renee @ 8/6/2013 3:29 AM

In the words of Wayland Jennings "Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be gangsters.
Gangsters ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold.
They'd rather give you a bullet than diamonds or gold.
Never belt buckles and sanging levis,
And each night begins a new day.
If you don't understand him, an' he don't die young,
In prison He'll prob'ly just ride away.

Renee @ 8/6/2013 3:32 AM

I messed that up the first time...let's try that again:
Gangsters ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold.
They'd rather give you a bullet than diamonds or gold.
Never use belt buckles and sagging levis,
And each night begins a new day.
If you don't understand him, an' he don't die young,
In prison He'll prob'ly just rot away."

Co @ 8/6/2013 3:36 AM

I wonder what potential the aunt spoke of while yelling on TV he was stolen and all that potential was lost? He was running in the streets firing a weapon... The only potential I see is a potential jail sentence.

Greg @ 8/6/2013 6:10 AM

Does Sharpton give out a script in black neighborhoods for the suffering families of thugs to read?

"He was a good boy" aka: He shared his drug money.
"He was turnin' his life around" aka: He shared all his drug money.
"They didn't need to shoot him" aka: He was out of bullets.
"The cops are racist" aka: Cops shot better than he did.
"He left a child fatherless" aka: Huh?
"He coulda' been a success" aka: Had his own gang.

Think of how many women won't be raped since he's room temperature, now many fathers will come home at the end the day and not be killed by this thug. Good shooting guys!!!

Duke Holtzman @ 8/6/2013 6:56 AM

I am sure they will try to turn this into a race thing. "If he (the dirt bag) was white they would have shot him in the finger!" When someone is trying to kill you(LEO or not) you protect yourself no matter what the color of the Dirt Bag is! Righitus Shoot! I am a retired Detective from BCPD/MD and have been there! The shooting and civil aftermath but I am alive!!

Janet @ 8/6/2013 7:09 AM

My prayers are with the family. The parents probably did the best they could do. He was a gang banger and was doing whatever he wanted to do. At some point in time these kids get out of control and you can't do anything with them. I know you have to start training them when they are young. The last resort is to turn them over to the Lord and let him handle it. So I guess that was his time to leave this world.

Dan @ 8/6/2013 7:15 AM

So much for idiot Bloomberg's gun control policies! I mean, there is a law that prevents minors from possessing guns, but criminals don't listen. So take the guns from the good guys. Bloomberg is a tool and I can't wait for him to go. Nice shooting to the NYPD officers. Stay safe!!

Chuck @ 8/6/2013 7:24 AM

We have a perfect example here of what is wrong with the world today. "It's not my fault" or "It wasn't my baby's fault". BULL HOCKEY! Take responsibility for, first, yourself, and second, your children.

When sh** happens, these same people will never be witnesses. They say they will let God handle it. God put you on this earth to see how you will deal with life. If you won't help yourself, that is the sin of laziness. If you let evil exist, you yourself are evil.

Pull up your bootstraps and be good people, good parents and good witnesses.

ispywithmylittlei @ 8/6/2013 8:47 AM

I guess Qwana's sister is going to have to scrape the little stick-on boy with the gun in his hand off the rear window of her Lincoln Navigator that was probably bought with the proceeds of her son's gang-banging

lisa @ 8/6/2013 8:56 AM

"sisters only baby"...well maybe she should be there being a mother. A 14 year old with a gun out at 3 in the morning. Where is the mother, obviously not being too involved in the kids life. Where is the mother setting ground rules curfews and everything else. This kid had no respect for his mother, the law, or apparently anyone else for that matter. I'm not saying he deserved to die, but I am saying there are consequences for their actions even at 14. He made the choice to have the gun, he made the choice to be out at 3 in the morning and he made the choice to be shooting at someone and not listen to the officers. No officer wants to shoot someone but they do what is right to protect the public. Get off your high horse people...WHEN DO PEOPLE EVEN AT 14 TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS. That is the problem with society...it's always someone else's fault.

Rudy Medina @ 8/6/2013 9:15 AM

On his way to being terror, in his neighborhood at 14 years old, running around the streets at 3am, shooting at people !! Sounds like a wild man ,to me !! For those people in that neighborhood , I'm glad he's been stopped ! Too bad for the Officer that put the dog down, has to carry this with him the rest of his life, the price you pay to live in a city where only cops and crooks have guns ! LEOs stay safe !!

Rocky Hart @ 8/6/2013 9:27 AM

Qwana, too bad nobody in the family taught the thug to follow directions...when a cop tells ya too drop the gun...the basic response would be to drop the damn gun...period...no excuses!!!

Chief Davis @ 8/6/2013 10:05 AM

parents need to understand, the only way you can see what your wounderful,loving childisdoing around the corner, is to have him in the house, spare the rod you spoil the child, trust me it did not kill me.

Really? @ 8/6/2013 11:27 AM

The kid may have been 14, however, he was doing an adult crime. I dont take joy that he died, but I am thankful that he didnt kill anyone else. He was on a major path of destruction, and he was stopped before he could kill or hurt someone. Shame on the media for how they present the story. Age is irrelavent when somone is shooting at you. They are supposed to ask how old you are before they shoot you? GET REAL!! That kid knew what he was doing, and it cost him his life. One more thug off the streets.

Slammer @ 8/6/2013 11:37 AM

The video is priceless, love watching those "Gangstas" try to run while holding up their pants with one hand! Someone should invent something to keep your pants on that would leave both hands free for other things....lol

Jailer1 @ 8/6/2013 1:36 PM

If the information is correct and the Gangbanga was firing at the officers, then good shoot. I also note the officer fire one shot, he didn't "spray and pray". Excellent.
"Douse was scheduled to appear in court on a gun-possession charge and had been charged with attempted murder of a rival gang member in May.". and Auntie whatever feels the police were too aggressive? Delussional

I heart the good guys @ 8/6/2013 4:55 PM

14 year old out after 3:00 AM, check. In a gang, check. Chasing a rival gang member, check. Carrying a firearm, check. Shooting firearm, check. Non compliant to officer commands, check. Good guys, check mate!

Alberto Martinez III @ 8/7/2013 12:57 PM

No One In Law Enforcement enjoys being in a situation where they may take a life.But we know in situations like this we have No Choice it's a No Win Situation for everyone involved.In this Case the Officer had No Choice At All.

oldcop @ 8/8/2013 9:33 AM

The one thing everyone is missing it where the real blame needs to be placed in this screwed up system we have and that is with the attorneys. They are the ones running around telling everyone to sue so they can make a little money. That includes politicians by the way which are about 80% attorneys.

Marc @ 8/16/2013 6:10 AM

Well said, Lisa. I'm just glad the officer is OK.