Video: Gang Offered to Protect LAPD Capt. From Dorner

February 19, 2013  |

VIDEO: Gang Offered to Protect LAPD Capt. from Dorner

A Watts Blood gang offered to protect a Los Angeles Police captain who found himself at the top of Chris Dorner's hit list, reports CBS News.

The LAPD couple Capt. Phillip Tingirides and Sgt. Emada Tingirides, an African-American, were placed in protective custody during Dorner's rampage that ended Feb. 12 in a Big Bear cabin. Tingirides was one of the officers on the panel that recommended Dorner's firing in 2008.

The Bounty Hunter Bloods, a larger Watts gang that covers the Nickerson Gardens housing project, made the offer after the threat to the captain was made public.

Dorner apparently had stalked Tingirides, who has returned to the streets of South Los Angeles with his wife. Emada Tingirides said she only read part of Dorner's manifesto that named her husband. She dismissed Dorner's claim that the LAPD is a racist agency and said she was surprised by the community support.

"I was surprised, because normally we're not the recipients of, you know, of those phone calls and those good words," Emada told CBS' John Miller. "And we had community members from Watts calling and saying, 'We need you here, we can't let anything happen to you.'"

Tags: Executive Protection, LAPD, Command Staff, Chris Dorner, Bloods

tim @ 2/19/2013 1:00 PM

Are you kidding me? The Bloods are going to protect the Capt. with illegal weapons? I would be very cautious in accepting that offer. What did the gang want in exchange? It's not a good idea to have felons possessing guns to protect LE.

Sky @ 2/19/2013 3:32 PM

I do not think they Bloods were kidding. They may be a street gang but maybe some of them were treated fairly and with respect by Police Officers they had contact with. It is by the grace of God that some of us are LEO's and exist on the right side of the badge. And there are other ways to protect someone other than a firearm. The Guardian Angels do not use firearms and they also try to make a difference. The nutcase that killed our Brothers in Arms met his end like the coward he was and for the Bloods to make such an offer, if they indeed did make it is better than the nuts demonstrating IFO of Police H.Q. that support the nutcase. You never know when you're out there who might get your back when the excrement hits the fan.

Capt David-Ret LA County @ 2/19/2013 4:52 PM

Yeah, they would protect him with Obama's prohibited firearms and 40 round mags...and get pardoned if arrested...

Tschako @ 2/19/2013 5:52 PM

Of course they didn't have weapons. California's gun laws prevent felons from having firearms. Now, doesn't that make you feel safer?

John Russell @ 2/19/2013 6:05 PM

HA HA HA OMG now is this funny or what when the HOODS want to help protect the Police ?

Mifflin @ 2/19/2013 8:40 PM

Firearms comments aside I will assume that a lot of people in the areas the Captain works respect him, even some of the gang members.

Carl @ 2/20/2013 12:53 AM

What a bunch of "BS"!

Nikki @ 2/20/2013 4:55 AM

Did anyone else notice the sentence "...and Sgt. Emada Tingirides, an African-American..." like that was important? Did you REALLY need to point that out?

And on another note, good for them. Criminals don't have to be all bad all the time. I know several people from a well known gang of bikers out of Maryland and while they're scary as hell, they'd be the first to ride in support of a fallen police officer (that wasn't crooked) or do a biker bake sale for a cancer patient.

Trigger @ 2/20/2013 5:12 AM

Sometimes a little respect and a short conversation opens doors that otherwise may remain closed.

Joel @ 2/20/2013 6:14 AM

Nikki I do not see anything wrong with that statement, due to the fact that the liberal media & liberal citizens have been attempting to make this a racist thing with LAPD. Also SHE was one of the Officers on the panel that recommended his firing. In my opinion that is a key point to the article.

USA @ 2/20/2013 6:21 AM

Sky, Mifflin, Nikki, Trigger: THANK YOU!! You are so right about the respect shown and received. The fact that they offered speaks volumes! Nikki, you are right on the mention of race - totally NOT NEEDED. But w/her a Sgt and w/him a Cptn. anyone question that? Same precinct?

JP @ 2/20/2013 7:08 AM

Maybe their intentions were good but beware. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. I don't think so!!!!

CAPT MIDNIGHT @ 2/20/2013 8:53 AM

Dont you guys miss Chief Parker?????? if "End Of Watch" is to be belivied, East and South Central LA are war zones...
Watts has been a problem since the mid-sixties.....not enough boots on the ground.

Red @ 2/20/2013 8:55 AM

As a veteran of twenty-seven years in law enforcement, I feel that both of these "officers" need to resign. I know that I am old school, but police protecting the police is outrageous in my humble opinion. Leave town, stay in you house, hide behind your spouse, but do not ask your fellow officers (subordinates) to protect you. This is leadership 101 material. What happened to the LAPD? Chief Gates would not tolerate this nonsense!

Hoshi @ 2/20/2013 1:31 PM

I agree with Sky. Twice, in a jail setting, two inmates backed my play when other deputies weren't readily available. Several times on traffic stops a local ranking gang leader stopped in case the guys in the car decided to be stupid. He and I had been dealing with each other for years. As said above respect gets respect.

wescrume @ 2/20/2013 4:33 PM

Well.....apparently the Captain and his wife are liked by some of their local citizens. That was indeed nice of the gang to offer assistance......not all of those guys are completely bad. We are all human and many have made mistakes. Help comes in many strange ways......we have to give them credit for offering. I'm just glad that they weren't harmed or their family members. Kudos to the offer and to the Captain and his family.

Jim B. @ 2/21/2013 7:25 AM

Red: With all due respect sir, you are an idiot. Are you trying to tell me that in all your "27" years in law enforcement that you never had occasion to call for backup on an incident? You handled every call you ever went on by yourself? Because that seems to be what you think these officers should have done. "Suck it up! Handle it yourself! Be a man!"
I'm sure the Capt and the Sgt were prepared to assist with their own protection but that doesn't mean they should have been expected to do it on their own. The very notion is ludicrous. We are a brotherhood, sir, that means we rush to protect not only the citizens but also each other from threats, not just provide a fancy ceremony at the funeral.
And that is not to mention the fact that the protection detail was certainly an order from higher up, no a direct request from the officers involved.

checking @ 2/21/2013 2:39 PM

One dude made the whole LAPD pee their pants.

We are constantly propagandized about how amazing and brave the cops are, and how no amount of pay can ever be enough for them, because they "risk their lives everyday", but one guy challenges them, and they panic, and then they need round the clock security for themselves, and they shoot up random cars of innocent bystanders, etc.

Do the taxpayers have to pay for the extra secruity details? If a regular taxpaying citizen is in danger of his life, does he/she also get round the clock LAPD security teams, or is it just a cop thing?

Michael @ 2/24/2013 2:48 PM

and what purpose does it serve to mention taht one of the couple are African American?

Ann D @ 2/28/2013 11:06 PM

I was an SRO for 8 years and worked hand in hand with criminal street gangs. I gained their respect and protection. I didn't see a need for it but appreciated it, when they stood up for me against new gang members that would enroll in the school and try and establish a name for themselves defying me.

Surprisingly it happens if you are fair and are seen as one that will let them save a little face when being arrested. I always had a saying with them "As long as you do what I tell you to do; you can pretty much say what you want (except threaten me.)" It helped them save a little face with their gang; and it gained me a lot of respect and "Thank you's" for not embarassing them.

Ann D. @ 2/28/2013 11:17 PM

Let me just add it has nothing to do with Race; I am a white female and was assigned to an all Black high school. It was just about Respect and being Fair. Thats all they and I asked for.