Suspect Sues Okla. Cops for Traffic Stop Push-Ups

October 22, 2012  |

Two Tulsa Police officers are under scrutiny, after a lawsuit was filed Friday, claiming they abused their power and then joked about it on a radio call.

The incident happened nearly two years ago.

In the suit, Brian Lumpkin claims two Tulsa Police Department officers in the gangs unit wrongfully pulled him over, and then made him do push-ups to get out of a ticket.

Read the full News On 6 story.

Tags: Tulsa (Okla.) PD, Officer Conduct

coolhandluke @ 10/23/2012 3:57 AM

A few push up have never hurt anybody

Big @ 10/23/2012 7:33 PM

An abuse of power is an abuse of power. These officers should be looking at jail time

Dennis @ 10/23/2012 9:09 PM

Our academy instructors made us do a lot of push ups too. Somehow we survived this "emotional trauma." Now sadly a city will wind up giving this kid (and his attorney) a payday.

Motorjock @ 10/23/2012 9:41 PM

We're all suppose to be professionals. This includes gang units. If we did this at our department, we would be looking at on the beach time. Guys wake up, there goes your pay raises and benefits.

michael @ 10/24/2012 12:04 AM

Big Fu-kin Deal.........this poor scumbag could have said "no, give me the ticket". Lets blow this out of proportion, having a little fun and interacting with the public. Wow, how sad.

DPB @ 10/24/2012 6:37 AM

Stupid, yes; punishment deserved, probably (I would like to know all the circumstances); jail time, are you kidding me??

Don Kabetzke @ 10/24/2012 7:35 AM

Would the State Trooper in Parker County in Texas please get me to do push ups to get out of a ticket? Seriously I was in more trouble when I got home and told the wife that I got a ticket and I have to pay the fine. Men in blue do a great job. You maybe crazy at times but then again you have to deal with the public 24/7. Stay safe.

S.S @ 10/24/2012 9:00 AM

Another scumbag trying to play the system and get an easy pay day. If the courts don't throw this case out. That's on them!!! This is complete b.s.

Lawman @ 10/24/2012 10:53 AM

Sometimes I think police officers are their own worse enemies. Although limited if any harm has come to the guy who was stopped and had to do push-ups, we have enough to laugh about with the people we encounter to not have to find ways to entertain ourselves.They may have saved the guy the cost of a traffic ticket but the embarrassment of a lawsuit outweighs the fun they may have had. I wonder why so many officers defend stupidity, is it because they fear they may be next and hope someone supports them. If it was my son that was stopped I would have laughed when he told me the story about having to do push-ups. Unfortunately the public doesn't see things the same way. The officers become the losers in this. The result is more public scrutiny and another blemish. We do too much great work for the public to have it ruined by out of control F* the world officers. Please don;t defend stupidity.

C.T. Carlson @ 10/24/2012 2:28 PM

I think most traffic violators would be more than happy to do a few push-ups instead of receiving a ticket. A little exercise vs fines, points and increased insurance?

Ima Leprechaun @ 10/26/2012 12:05 AM

I saw a Florida deputy do the exact same thing on "Cops" when that show first aired. Think people, think! This will be the easiest ten million dollars this guy will ever get.

OCSO @ 10/31/2012 6:48 AM

Big, you're an idiot! I bet you didn't even serve in the military. Jail time for push-ups? Really? Really? Drop and give me twenty! OO-Rah!

Sgt. Mike @ 11/2/2012 2:24 AM

If it involves suspects and is fun, it's a bad idea.

Jar Head @ 4/13/2013 6:35 PM

cops mostly are punks that have attitudes. How about we tell the cops to do push ups!!! They would arrest us and abuse their power, because we are smart asses. Like I tell cops, no matter what people say.... they have to stay professional. They don't know the people they are talking to. They don't know their mental capacity or anything about that person. I haven't met a cop with the balls to shut his mouth when asked to!!!! hahaha ooorraaahhhhh I have had a cop tell me he didn't care about me... when I asked him to put my seat belt on. Come on.....he should not be a cop.... or yea... that's why we call them pigs...that's right!!! I bet I get a response from a cop lover...in a minute... 3,2,1..... hahaha lighten up....