Criminal Justice Degrees - Columbia Southern University
Let Columbia Southern University help you change your community with an MBA in...

NYPD Officers Chip-in to Buy Gym Equipment

October 01, 2014  |

Photo: NYPD Facebook page
Photo: NYPD Facebook page

A group of NYPD officers has gotten so out of shape that their commander forced them to chip in for a room full of exercise equipment to shed some pounds, The Post has learned.

Some officers at the Community Affairs Division have ballooned to obese proportions — and are in no condition to ever chase down a suspect if called upon to do so, sources told the New York Post.

To fight the fat, Inspector Ellen Chang — a triathlete — ordered her chunky charges to pony up $30 each to outfit their East 12th Street headquarters with a stationary bike, a treadmill, a StairMaster and 350 pounds of free weights, the sources said.

132&Bush @ 10/1/2014 7:30 PM

I recommend they get a copy of the book 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferris

kevCopAz @ 10/2/2014 2:46 PM

Don't get me wrong, cops should stay in shape. Its good for you and it will make you safer on the job and allow you to serve the public better. BUT who in the hell is this Commander to do this "ORDER" them to do so? I would bet that she is a tri athlete Commander because she spent more time on her self then doing a COP job, including sucking up to the bosses and using the female card to promote. Perhaps if she had worked long night time hours and ate bad food she would be a bot over weight rather then over zealous. She has the right mind set but back off Bitc_ You are a boss at work , nothing else not Queen of lean! If the department wants the physical standers higher then do so otherwise if I were a N.Y. cop under that commander I would be suing her athletic shorts off!

Janet @ 10/2/2014 2:46 PM

I think all Law Enforcement Agencies should require the employees to maintain a particular weight and physical ability to continue to perform their duties. So I think the Agency should provide a Fitness Center for their employees.

TheRookie @ 10/2/2014 4:52 PM

If one don't think perps take notice & size an Officer up by appearance then they need to hang up the ole duty belt. We all know the main concept of, The "California Take-Away" is just that. In NYC they should have many many departmental gyms to work out at. I personally know it's easy to get out of shape with the shatty hours we work & food we have to choose from. I spent my last 4 years fighting the battle of the bulge. It sucked.

crispianranger @ 10/2/2014 7:43 PM

In my police force we were weighed every year on our birthday and every November had to complete the Force Fitness Run within the allotted time. If you exceeded the over weight allowance, or failed the run, you were sent on a three month OPFIT course of eating lettuce and doing PT. If you failed at the end of that, you were out of the Force. But then, we were proud of being policemen, and did our best never to be embarrassed by failing either of the two annual tests.

Manasseh @ 10/3/2014 10:28 AM

Amen to: "TheRookie". Its a tough fight against the bulge and to always "look sharp" but pays dividends that many times you don't even know about. Don't believe me? Look around and take an informal poll from your brothers and judge the number of hands on experiences against their appearance, demeanor and fitness. (Of course, do not incl. the newbies/gung ho as we already know why their numbers skew the results) Making the Officers pay for the equipment? No, not the way go for many reasons. Petitioning for Dept wide fitness guidelines or the authority to set physical standards for her Officers? More power to her.

132&Bush @ 10/8/2014 11:46 PM

In old Cops episodes in seemed that New Orleans Police had some really overweight officers.

Another Soldier @ 12/31/2014 8:19 AM

being fit has saved my life. I had an Aortic Dissection 2 years ago. When I woke up form the surgery and not looking into the book of life with St. Peter, I was happy. My surgeon told me that my physical fitness saved my life. I'm nowhere near a tri-athlete, but I was always able to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test. I do believe that cops need to be in shape. We need to pass a fitness test to get hired and at the academy. Just keep it going.