Profane Pa. Chief Won't Back Down

August 30, 2013  |

Screenshot via Mark Kessler/YouTube.
Screenshot via Mark Kessler/YouTube.
Days before his 30-day suspension is scheduled to end, Gilberton (Pa.) Police Chief Mark Kessler has posted another YouTube video, this one showing him shooting a target he calls "Eric," the first name of a borough councilman who wants him fired.

Borough Council has met privately with special counsel it hired for legal advice regarding Kessler and scheduled a special public meeting for Friday, the day before the chief's suspension expires.

The borough office has not released an agenda for the meeting. But Kessler, who couldn't be reached for comment, has repeatedly said he thinks he will lose his job over the videos, in which he shoots the borough's semiautomatic and automatic weapons during profanity-laced rants in support of gun rights.

"I'm sure they have something up their sleeves," he said, referring to Borough Council. "A little trick."

Read the full Morning Call story.

Tags: Police Chiefs, Gilberton (Pa.) PD, Social Media

lenny @ 8/30/2013 1:35 AM

This clown just gets stupider by the minute.

James Dean @ 8/30/2013 10:23 AM

you get what you pay for !

EODK9Trainer @ 9/1/2013 3:56 AM

So glad I do not live in Gilberton, PA.

Allen @ 9/2/2013 10:11 AM

And it's idiots like this that give small town chiefs a bad rap. WOW and I'm guessing they did a background check, NOT!

MLH 4825 @ 9/2/2013 10:17 AM

So, Kessler gets suspended for using weapons to make a YouTube video. He gets called on it and is suspended. Just before the suspension is up, he makes another one obviously directed at a council member. Where is there a question of Conduct Unbecoming of a Peace Officer????? As a retired PO, I am embarrassed. It's individuals like this who give the profession a black eye. I am not saying I have all of the information, but considering what has been presented, and if these are truly the facts, it's time to remove Kessler. He is not the type of leader I would want in my department.

He should have taken his suspension like a man and appealed it using his Due Process, but to act out again in this way, says a lot about the character he has and what he values as Ethics.

Remember, no one can fix stupid......

Good Luck!

Leonard Mather @ 9/2/2013 10:24 AM

Someone should gift the chief with Dale Carnegie's book: "How to Win Friends and Influence People." Profanity is ill advised. Shooting at effigies does not engender harmony. Being a LEO requires that he "Speak softly, while carrying his big stick."

Wilson @ 9/2/2013 10:25 AM

He's out of control. Fear his intentions and motives that
Could be a suicide by cop.

j @ 9/2/2013 10:25 AM

Better stop the next Chris Darden, he will end up killing someone

Trigger @ 9/2/2013 10:25 AM

What a nut case!! Termination, settle out of court, money and trouble ahead.

maddog 81 mm @ 9/2/2013 11:44 AM

I guess Andy retired or died ,and Barney took over the helm !!! Just how many people are employed in that department ?? I would surmise , that the good old boys pulled their little political chicanery on this Chief , and he didn't go along with that kind of control !! I still don't think he should've gone that route, for the city fathers can choke out his budget, and leave him flat broke !! Plus he loses a lot of credibility as an LEO !!! No way would I work for a madman like that !!

SafeArmsReview @ 9/2/2013 12:23 PM

Being in law enforcement and posting some videos on youtube, I make sure I do NOT let ppl know my department (& I don't act crazy either). Its a 'family channel' meaning I don't cuss & swear like this guy when I do gun & gear reviews, range shooting tips & current event discussions. I also have professional behavior & for some reason that works. No trouble with my youtube videos from the folks at work, go figure.

While I support the constitution & bill of rights, it doesn't mean you have to be an angry jerk. This type of behavior is a warning flag - catch this guy on the wrong day & ppl will get hurt for no reason.

Oh well just someone else to keep an eye on. If he doesn't change his ways I expect to see him involved in an incident where he abuses his power.

Alex E @ 9/2/2013 12:41 PM

SafeArmsReview:

You can't compare your YouTube gun review channel to the message that Chief Kessler is putting out there. Yours is for enjoyment, his is political in nature based on the daily erosion of our Liberties. Remember what issue kicked this whole thing off? Sec. State Kerry stating that the U.S. will sign the UN Small Arms Treaty without Congressional approval. Chief Kessler was *rightfully* enraged and wanted to get that emotion across. The problem is that instead of people agreeing with him, they chastised him for his use of profanity and guns. That's like chastising a gunshot victim for cussing while in the ambulance. But you don't get it, that's OK.

Oh, BTW, the Constitution and Bill of Rights DO mean that people have the right to be angry jerks. People have the right to do whatever they choose so long as no one else is injured...and being "intimidated" by a video on the internet DOESN'T COUNT.

"The right to swing my fist ends where the other man’s nose begins."

Alex E @ 9/2/2013 12:49 PM

Oh, and here is a video where we get to hear Chief Kessler's side of the story:

I wonder why the media and Police Magazine didn't run THIS part of the story...?

Probably because they don't want people to realize that there's more to this story than a "crazy" police chief with scary evil black rifles.

Capt. Crunch @ 9/2/2013 12:53 PM

I enjoyed watching the video, to me it is always a pleasure to see someone who does not care about being politically correct and stand up for their rights and say what needs to be said. All the chief was doing was shooting a target named Eric. I'll bet the other Eric (the councilman) does not have the courage to face the chief on a one on one discussion.

George @ 9/2/2013 7:27 PM

One needs to be careful before jumping on an opinion about small town government and police departments. Generally both are made up of people who have grown up together and either did or didn't get alone their whole life. Behind any individuals actions can be any degree of motivation fed by personal feelings. This doesn't mean that either person is dangerous to the other or to anyone else. You tube is the only thing that has brought anything related to this matter out in the open for others to see. twenty years ago you would have never heard of it. Let's let the personal feelings settle down in this situation and see how things work out. I don't think either are crazy and time will settle the issue. Most likely it will be in a small town way which can be a whole lot different (often times better) than your big city folks way of doing things. There is no doubt that the Chief loves his country therefore has a great deal of concern for the citizens of his town. No one is stupid.

Bob@Az. @ 9/2/2013 9:09 PM

Alex E & Capt.Crunch: Dead on target. Most of these posts don't remember or understand the Chiefs point. I do. This nation is in a downward spin, our rights being taken by the day and nobody gives a damn. This Chief does, no matter the consequences. Anybody hear of the Oath Keepers? Maybe more LEs should. Blues, Stay Safe.

Lonegunmann @ 9/3/2013 2:02 PM

I wonder what the City did to him that made him so angry? Everything can be taken out of context and distorted. That is the story I want to hear.
I will say this, as many of my fellow officers know as a officer/deputy/whatever we are hostage to our concern of retribution from our agencies and public if we voice our opinion. We are not allowed one! We protect the rights of everyone however we are silenced by such accusations as conduct unbecoming an officer and other professional conduct measures that are administrative to control us. So long as officers remain unbiased (which honestly is humanly impossible so I will replace them with fair and respectable) in our dealing with the public why can we not say what we feel? When off duty why can we not do and say what we want?

Izzy @ 9/4/2013 9:55 AM

This is going to be interesting to watch. I bet the scenario goes something like this. The city council and mayor take this incident so personally that they set themselves and their city up for failure. We see it all the the time. Constituents, votes, ego and personal vendetta's get in the way of making sound legal decisions.

Ima Leprechaun @ 9/4/2013 4:05 PM

This guy should be banned for life from ever possessing a firearm and perhaps sterilized if they still do that in Pa. He can think anything he wants to and even tell his friends about his personal dogma but posting it on Youtube this guy is freely advertising to the world that he is not of sound mind. He appears to be daring all Law Enforcement to arrest him so he can react in a violent manner with his machine guns while professing his gun rights in profanity. From the comments above, I suspect many of them should be sterilized too.

Mike @ 9/5/2013 2:57 PM

While I do not disgree with the points this Chief is making, given his position as a police chief, itcould have and should have been put in a more appropriate way. If he is to remain chief, might I suggest some training in verbal judo, ethics and diverse cultures for law enforcement, and maybe even and effective speaking class! Right or wrong, Law Enforcement is held to a higher standard, we are expected to be professional at all times, and to me, this whole thing is a circus show!

And I am not affraid to tell this to the chief, just come a few short miles south, chief and lets talk!