Video: 4 Ga. Deputies Disciplined Over Aggressive Entry

August 12, 2013  |

VIDEO: Ga. Deputies Probed for Home Entry

Four DeKalb County (Ga.) Sheriff's deputies will be suspended and possibly demoted after they were seen on video serving an arrest warrant using abusive language.

Of the four, one sergeant would be demoted if he doesn't retire as previously planned. The remaining three would be suspended, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The citizen home video, which went viral last week, shows the deputies entering an Ellenwood home early on July 26. Sheriff Thomas Brown has called the deputies' conduct "totallty unacceptable."

Tags: DeKalb County (Ga.) Sheriff, Warrant Service, Professional Image, Officer Disciplined

chuck @ 8/12/2013 2:51 PM

I didn't know that you have to be politically correct when making a dynamic entry.

krisnlc @ 8/12/2013 2:54 PM

Dynamic entry?? really...check the fucking address idiots!

Bob @ VA @ 8/12/2013 3:55 PM

Wrong address at 1:30 AM? For a civil fine? What's the deal in GA? Maybe DeKalb needs to conduct remedial reading and common sense classes. What an embarrassment.

Ron @ 8/12/2013 11:02 PM

After watching this video twice I would have to say that the Deputies may have been in the right when they first came to the door but after the homeowners refuse to open the door that should have been the end of it. By continuing to bang on the "DOOR" (that's how it is spelled not DOOH") you went from being in the right to being in the wrong. The only way you can justify your actions is if you have a felony warrant for someone that you know beyond a shadow without a doubt is in that house. Not one time did I hear the words "We have a warrant for your arrest" nor even after the door was open did I hear a reason for the Deputies to be there. Please do not get me wrong I have been a LEO for 26+ years and I have knocked on hundreds of doors and yes I have gotten highly po'd when I knew someone was inside but yet refuse to open the door and yes I have pounded on the door over and over and over again but at some point you have to understand if they do not open the door you have got to walk away. There is always another day and sooner or later that subject you wish to take into custody will be in the open at which point you can lock that subject up. But to demand that a homeowner open his door or you will kick it down is wrong. We do have what is called the 4th amendment and I suggest you go and re-read that amendment then maybe you will understand why you sir were in the wrong.

tbow426 @ 8/13/2013 1:36 PM

Hello Ron. Apparently you have never worked for a Sheriff's Department. Most states give the Sheriff (unique to Sheriffs) the right to force entry to serve court process. That includes civil as well as any criminal process. In my state their is a lengthy portion of the criminal and civil code giving Sheriff's the ability to do so, 4th amenment not witthstanding and it has been unsuccessfully challenged in the federal system. The only requirement is we must have reasonable grounds to believe the person we are looking for is within the structure. Our police departments request our assistance when they have misdeameanor warrants and the accused will not come to the door. When a deputy takes the warrant then either the door opens or comes down.

Bob @ VA @ 8/14/2013 6:23 AM

tbow426 - How is that not a 4th Amendment violation? States cannot pass laws that violate the Bill of Rights. I don't mean to put you on the spot, but do you have any case citations from the federal petitions that I can read through? Which state are we discussing?