Video: Tucson Officer Fired for Pointing Gun at Clerk

July 17, 2013  |

VIDEO: Intoxicated Officer Points Gun at Clerk

A Tucson (Ariz.) Police officer on probationary status was fired Tuesday for pointing a gun at a convenience store clerk while intoxicated, reports the Arizona Republic.

The agency confirmed the firing 23-year-old Kyle McCartin on its Facebook page. McCartin, who had been hired in September, went into the Giant Gas Station at about 3 a.m. with another man. The two men wore ballistic vests with no shirts, and McCartin can be seen on video surveillance pointing a pistol at the clerk.

<McCartin, who was arrested by Pima County Sheriff's deputies, has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault, reports KAIT.

"The simple fact of the matter is this: behind the badge, and beyond the uniform, is a human being, responsible for their own actions," the association said. "We fully support a full investigation into this matter and we ask for everyone’s patience as the facts unfold."

Tags: Tucson PD, Officer Fired, Intoxicated Subjects, Pima County (Ariz.) Sheriff, Off-Duty Incidents

Troop @ 7/17/2013 10:30 PM

This might rival the idiot that gave his gun to a bystander to shoot the deer.

EODK9Trainer @ 7/18/2013 4:35 PM

How stupid can one be? I'm glad to see this idiot out of LE.

dustin @ 7/18/2013 6:56 PM

Wow. Some real DB's end up in the ranks....this guy deserves jail time.

Mark @ 7/18/2013 8:43 PM

This is just jaw dropping. How did this guy get hired in the first place? Guessing by the video this guy got into LE because he got to play G.I. Joe and carry a gun. I have worked with too many with that mentality. They all need to be kicked out of LE.

CJ @ 7/18/2013 9:03 PM

Things have sure changed since I was a probationary officer. I valued my job and did my best to stay out of trouble. This seems to be happening more and more. It will probably wind up with some departments denying their probationers CCW until they are off probation. Puts a black eye on all of us!

Tim @ 7/18/2013 9:42 PM

Probies have been doing stupid crap since the invention of probationary status. Hence the need for probation: So you have time to see how they will perfom for you decide if you really want to keep them. In his case he chose - poorly.

George @ 7/18/2013 11:16 PM

This is the kind of thing that makes all of us pay for 1 person's stupidity. I am glad he is out of LE, I have a friend at another PD who is from Tucson and his father was a Sgt on Tucson PD. They are a good Dept and don't need officers like this.

vidman10 @ 7/19/2013 3:21 AM

I can't believe what I see every time I watch this video. Maybe they should hire the store clerk. Looks like he kept his cool under pressure.

Krisnlc @ 7/19/2013 7:35 AM

Hmmm, his buddy must be the one who shot the dog.

Tom Ret @ 7/19/2013 6:28 PM

This officer is giving the one in Palm Springs, who decided he would take off his uniform and join the ladies in the hot tub while on duty, some competition for the head up ass award.

Trigger @ 7/24/2013 8:52 AM

He will probably sue and win several million dollars for not being properly trained then be given his job back with backpay and a mandatory promotion.