Ala. Handler Forced to Kill K-9 Who Attacked Him

July 01, 2013  |

A Hanceville (Ala.) Police K-9 handler shot and killed his canine companion late last month after the dog attacked him and began biting his head.

Officer Anthony Childress was training with his Belgian Malinois Ichi Bon at C.W. Day Park on June 24 when he was attacked. The officer was hospitalized after he shot and killed the 6-year-old dog.

The dog first bit into the officer's leg and turned loose after Childress fell to the ground. The dog attacked a second time, biting into the officer's head, causing lacerations that later required surgery. Childress freed himself from the dog and shot him after fearing another attack.

"Officer Childress thinks Ichi Bon mistook a wallet in his front pocket for a reward toy he used in training," Hanceville Police Chief Bob Long told the Cullman Times. "He loved that dog and he’s very upset about what happened."

Tags: K-9 Units, In-Service Training, Animals Gone Wild

Chuck @ 7/1/2013 5:24 PM

Brother, im sorry about your dog. I hope you recover from your injuries. God bless all k9s and their handlers.

pup @ 7/2/2013 11:43 AM

I'm sorry for the lost of your K9. Having been a handler for years and handling two Malinuts, I know how they can react. This is why I've always been against having toys in the pockets of the handlers, especially when doing obedience. Be safe..

Dennis @ 7/3/2013 7:28 AM

I have been fortunate enough to run patrol, narcotics and explosives detection K9s in my career. I prized the bond I shared with my K9s. Its hard enough to lose them to age and illness, I can only imagine your pain and sorrow. Bless you my brother!

Doug M. @ 7/3/2013 1:12 PM

I am more likely to believe a brain tumor or a fundamental temperament issue than the toy trigger given the adult age of the dog.

Sgt. Mike @ 7/4/2013 6:14 PM

Very hard situation, I hope you recover quickly.

Ima Leprechaun @ 7/18/2013 10:45 PM

Any dog that attacks any human is paid for by Smith & Wesson. Sorry but my life is more valuable to me than my dog's.