Video: La. Cops Beef at Off-Duty T-Stop

June 24, 2013  |

VIDEO: La. Cops Beef at Off-Duty T-Stop

Two Baton Rouge (La.) Police officers have received verbal counseling for a heated confrontation at a vehicle stop outside of their jurisdiction.

Officer David Stewart was off duty while in uniform and driving his cruiser on April 30, 2012, when he observed a white pickup truck traveling nearly twice the posted 45 mph speed limit just outside of Denham Springs, reports the Advocate.

Officer Stewart gave chase and eventually pulled over Cpl. Brian Harrison, also an off-duty Baton Rouge PD officer. The officer called Livingston Parish Sheriff's deputies for backup. Harrison was furious that Officer Stewart pulled him over outside the agency's jurisdiction.

The two men argued during an exchange captured on Officer Stewart's dash-cam system. Stewart told Harrison, "You ought not be a police officer."

Stewart eventually called off Livingston deputies and let Harrison go without a citation. Harrison then flipped Stewart his middle finger and returned to the truck.

Tags: Baton Rouge (La.) PD, Off-Duty Incidents, Thin Blue Line

DPB @ 6/24/2013 2:31 PM

Shame on Cpl. Harrison! Too many a$$holes like this give cops a bad name. I have been stopped only a few times, but I was always polite and professional as I was wrong for not paying attention or for being in a hurry. I also received a ticket on two different occasions and paid them. No one to blame but me!

Ronald T @ 6/24/2013 2:34 PM

actions like this are one of the reasons why the general public is losing its respect for police officers the person in the red shirt should have received not only a reprimand but should also have been suspended for his actions the other officer should have received counseling on the proper recourse of action while out of his jurisdiction the office the person in the red shirt acts as if he feels that just because he wears a badge he is above the law and this attitude needs to stop no police officer is above the laws that he or she are sworn to uphold this action is why the general public is slowly but surely losing all respect for law enforcement blues get your head out of your rear endsand conduct yourself as the professional you are supposed to be.

westcoastleo @ 6/24/2013 2:37 PM

Crime knows no boundaries.
When the violating officer stopped he should have been respectful.
When the stopping officer found out the guy was an off duty copper, he should have been respectful
and cut the guy loose telling the violating officer that he was going to warn him.

JJ @ 6/24/2013 2:39 PM

Harrison should as minimum get a 30 day suspension without pay, providing he has no other disciplinary issues.....otherwise fire the idiot!

Rick @ 6/24/2013 2:49 PM

Some LEO's keep insisting on not serving the public and taking advantage of their position. If this was how he reacted to another cop, imagine how he acts with the public.

Jon @ 6/24/2013 3:04 PM

First off, the cpl should not be giving the other cop crap period! the cpl was doing double the speed limit in a 45 zone, here that is criminal speed and he would have been dealt with appropriately! There is no wrong doing on the other cop...unless they don't have state wide authority.

Dep,R. Huffman @ 6/24/2013 3:07 PM

i always tried my best to give fellow officers all the slack i could but when they turn redneck thier no better than anyone else.i've been on the receiving end of a couple other officers harsh language when stopped.one ask me harshly do you know the speed limit on this road,and i said i sure do,i'v been running radar on this road when you were in elementary school.then showed them my i d and then they said,sorry sir didn't know who you were,go on and have a great day.

bruce partridge @ 6/24/2013 3:30 PM

The uniformed officer was completely right. He stopped an idiot driver and investigated. (Unreported crime, stolen, drunk ?) The truck driver is an embarrassment to professional LEOs everywhere ! I would've given the uniformed officer a commendation and the EX Cpl as much of a suspension as I could sustain ! (A Corporal ?? Really ?)

Mark @ 6/24/2013 3:41 PM

I wonder if alcohol was involved? Disappointing when those who should be examples of proper behavior for the rest of us fail not only to follow the law but display grave disrespect for themselves as law enforcement.

Aaron @ 6/24/2013 4:37 PM

Good job Officer Stewart. Harrison you are an idiot. How your department gave Officer Stewart a counseling is unbelievable. You on the other had I would have suspended your ass. You are worthless and should resign now. I don't worry because your discrace to the profession will catch up to you. You won't finish your career. Moron.

Belson @ 6/24/2013 5:09 PM

Harrison you are lucky you were not arrested. You have a problem w authority. I would suspend you in a heart beat. Congrats to officer Stewart for doing his job. Officer Stewart probable saved a life that day. We are here to protect n serve, not create problems.

Joseph Rogg, Jr. @ 6/24/2013 7:52 PM

OK, first off it's not a truck driver. Since when does a pickup look like a tractor trailer? Secondly, twice the speed limit makes it reckless driving. I don't care if your an off duty cop or the Pope, he should have been arrested on the spot. The only way the public is going to start to trust the police again, is they see them cleaning house. Just like the Florida Trooper who arrested the Miami PD officer, she did her job. If you have no legal reason for endangering the public, then you should follow the laws you are sworn to uphold. Just like the public holds me to a higher standard (CDL-A holder), LEO's should be held accountable for their actions. What he did is a crime and should be treated as such. There is no justification for what he did.

Troop @ 6/24/2013 11:24 PM

Harrison thinks he's above the law. As if he would put up with the same attitude if he was at work an stopped a mouthy driver. He is an embarrassment to the profession. He needs to lay off the cheeseburgers too.

njmotorcop @ 6/25/2013 5:01 AM

Harrison should be fired. He's an embarassment to all of us and people like him are the reason that the good people don't like cops. Unfortunately his type is very common in my area. I routinely see my "brothers" speeding, running red lights and stop signs, and driving unregistered vehicles but there's not much you can do about it when your chief's personal car has been unregistered and uninsured for over 8 years but is still driven every day.

Steve @ 6/25/2013 6:50 AM

I wonder how Officer Harrison would have handled the situation if the tables were turned? He definitely deserved some kind of reprimand.
In 30 years of service I only knowingly wrote 1 police officer...and that only because of his flippant, arrogant attitude. I, on many occasions however, have reminded officers I had stopped for speeding, in a friendly, proffesional way, that they were as susceptible to being involved in a collision as the next guy and let them go on their way.

Trigger @ 6/25/2013 10:17 AM

My first concern is acting outside of your jurisdiction especially for a speeder. How can Stewart remotely justify the traffic stop when he has no authority in doing so. Secondly Harrison needs to have an attitude adjustment, granted he was off duty but it appears that his stripes overloaded his brains. Both officers need to be disciplined for their stupidity.

Jelly @ 6/25/2013 11:43 AM

Unbelievable, I’m surprised they didn’t start calling each other bad names and slapping each other, just like a couple of school girls on the playground. Harrison, you should be looking for a new profession. You’re behavior and abuse of your office is an embarrassment to law enforcement. Your Chief is either a candy ass, corrupt, or you’re holding something over his head because, I would like to think that most departments would kick your ass to the curb. When you look at the actions of the two, both may have been wrong, but although procedurally wrong, Stewart’s intentions were in good faith. Harrison on the other hand, is an immature, hot headed, ass. And I hope he finds a new job before he does any more damage to the already crumbling perception of LEO’s today.

Diesel @ 6/25/2013 1:18 PM

where do i begin...The Ofc. Harrison in nice words should never be allowed to where the uniform again. Even though i not a advocate of the dash cam video (Big Brother Always Watching), you clearly see this guys juvenile behavior and his department has promoted him the rank of Corporal...(are you serious). One must always remember that your always representling your Dept., as well as your fellow Officers. The gut in the red shirt should be released from what ever department for which he's employed before he COST ($$$) his department money from law suits as a result of his (Nice Words) juvenile behavior !!!!! To the Officer who stopped him the only thing i would have done diofferent is contact the LEO's from that district and have them respond with a supervisor (Sergeant / Lieutenant) to have the guy cited......

Chief RLS @ 6/25/2013 4:48 PM

All I can say is that if the off duty officer who was pulled over was on my department his employment would have been terminated as soon as this video was brought to my attention. How ever the uniformed officer needs a class in verbal judo as well. They both escalated the situation and that could have obviously become a much worse encounter because of the childish arguments.

ftrnr @ 6/26/2013 3:44 AM

Officer Stewart was exactly right. Harrison was a danger to everyone on that road and the fact that he "...doesn't care..." makes it more so. What would his Chief have said if Harrison had hit and killed someone with that stupid driving? We all know someone would have had video of the marked car behind the pickup and the family would be suing because Stewart did not make the stop. He acted in good faith in the best interest of everyone on the road. I have no idea why Stewart got reprimanded other than some "natural language," I would work with him any day. On the other hand, Harrison should have been arrested, and should be fired now. Harrison is a disgrace, why would you keep a liability like that employed?

CTLEORET @ 6/27/2013 1:08 PM

If one cop is giving another cop a ticket, one of them is an ass. Either the cop giving the ticket, or the cop getting the ticket.

TINY @ 7/1/2013 6:23 AM

in response to trigger. Your Issue with the out of jurisdiction traffic stop, Officer stewart was damned if he did or damned if he did not. You have to remember that the general public outnumber LEOs and while we are well steeped in jurisdictional boundaries the general public would likely have seen an obvious violation in the presence of uniformed police officer and their perception would likely have been either lazy cop or if recognized one cop allowing another cop to break the law. We have had a similar situation years ago in our jurisdiction where an officer stopped a violator for reckless driving. The officer lost the case on jurisdiction but the public was served at the time. Officer Stewart, based on the story, was serving the public's best interest and I would do the same. I have been stopped befor and not been cited though I credit this to the infraction being very minor and to my demeanor with the officer. I have never relied on my badge or ID or used it as a pass to escape a ticket. Its a pay to play system and if you play to hard be prepared to pay badge or not AND DONT BE AN A$$ ABOUT IT.