$60M Bail Set for Former Philly 'Top Cop'

May 20, 2013  |

Photo via Jeff Meade/Flickr.
Photo via Jeff Meade/Flickr.
A former Philadelphia Police officer once named a "top cop" who sat next to Michelle Obama at a State of the Union address now faces 32 charges, including promoting prostitution, human trafficking, and rape.

Bail has been set at $60 million for 27-year-old Richard DeCoatsworth, who retired from the Philadelphia PD in 2011, reports CNN.

DeCoatsworth became a hero in 2007 as a rookie on the force. He had followed a group of suspicious men and, after one fired a shotgun at his face, continued the pursuit until they were taken into custody.

In 2008, the National Association of Police Organizations honored DeCoatsworth with its Top Cop award. In 2009, he joined the first lady at the State of the Union address.

Tags: Philadelphia PD, Prostitution, Awards and Honors

S.S. @ 5/20/2013 2:41 PM

I have no words for this one. Just a goddamn shame.

DEADMAN @ 5/20/2013 2:46 PM

I guess this is another one of obamas sons,he sure can pick them.I guess the shooting,messed his mind up,otherwise i would hope that the Philadelphia Police Department would tighten up its hiring requirements.

Chuck @ 5/20/2013 2:56 PM

If obummer had a son, this is what he would have looked like lmao.

Bob@Az. @ 5/20/2013 4:15 PM

Another disgrace to the Badge. I'm surprised the Great Liar-in-Chief hasen't stepped in to whisk him away to DC, along with all the other lying scum.

Tom Ret @ 5/20/2013 6:20 PM

He would make a good Obama women's rights czar.

Capt. Crunch @ 5/20/2013 9:37 PM

Tom Ret, I agree that DeCoatsworth, is a POS. But don't blame Pres. Obama. If you are retired like me (and started in the 70's) then because of Pres. Reagan, you are only getting 50% of your Social Security he signed into law the Windfall Elimination Provision (look it up). Now we have that pencil neck Paul Ryan, going after the younger officers pensions. So if you are a police officer or a fire fighter and vote republican, I would say you are stupid.

Tom Ret @ 5/20/2013 10:27 PM

Crunch-started in 71, retired 2000. I guess we look at the world differently. I have mellowed out since retiring though, haven't choked anyone out for several years now.

Jim A @ 5/21/2013 12:46 AM

This is really a shame. He started out as a hero and now is a zero. Or even less than that.

But I will tell you, I am not standing next to Michelle Obama on anything. I also do not blame President Obama for this POS. That POS is a POS all on his own (but I have to say the association makes me chuckle a little.)

I am a law enforcement officer and I don't like anything this administration does. I feel liberalism is killing America. Conservative is NOT a dirty word. Not everything is "OK". Things like legalizing Marijuana is not ok (I live in Washington and am dealing with our stupid new laws.) I am not for anyone attacking my pension or your pensions. We work hard for it and sacrifice dearly for it (27 years this month.) I also do not agree that I should have to pay for everyone else's immigration, welfare, or insurance. THAT my friends, is stupid. I am not stupid. And I am proud to say I vote Republican (most of the time - but I do not necessarily say no to a good, conservative Democrat.)

Have a good day, fellow blues.

Trigger @ 5/21/2013 7:15 AM

What a shame. It is apparent that this "hero's" head got too big for his hat.

Tom Ret @ 5/21/2013 7:21 AM

Most of the cities going broke today are and have been under democratic
control. Once our country resembles Detroit, pensions and social security
will be in jeopardy.

Capt. Crunch @ 5/21/2013 9:52 AM

Tom Ret, it is all political and I blame both parties but the lesser of the two evils is the democratic party. Explain why senators only have to work 2 years and when they reach 62 yrs, they get a pension of $400,000.00 per year the rest of there life? LEO"S pensions are already in jeopardy. So don't mellow out yet its not over.

Tom Ret @ 5/21/2013 10:16 AM

Crunch-They have voted in their own benefits based on self aggrandizement. Too many are there not to serve but to be served. Term limits are long overdue in my mind. I disagree with your lesser of two evils conclusion.

Ima Leprechaun @ 5/24/2013 11:54 AM

It's easy to tell the majority of the bloggers here are not in Law Enforcement from the racial and excessively vulgar comments made. Wait until the outcome of this case and then you may comment. His own department stated that it's possible PTSD has a hand in his actions, he obviously needs help but there is a lot more to this than meets the eye. I think, 60 million dollars seems like excessive bail for a non-murder charge for anyone.