Md. Cop Kills Self While Driving Cruiser

April 29, 2013  |

Photo courtesy of Bladensburg PD.
Photo courtesy of Bladensburg PD.
An off-duty Bladensburg (Md.) Police officer fatally shot himself before crashing into another vehicle on Saturday in Anne Arundel County.

Officer Brian Johnson, a nine-year veteran, was driving his police cruiser east on Route 100 at 9 a.m., when he crossed the median and struck a vehicle heading west, according to an Anne Arundel County release.

The county medical examiner ruled the death a suicide Monday morning, after finding a gunshot wound to Officer Johnson's upper body. Officials previously said the officer suffered a medical emergency before the crash.

Officer Johnson suffered significant injuries in the crash and was transported to Baltimore Washington Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. The operator of the other vehicle was treated and released at the scene.

Tags: police suicide, Off-Duty Incidents, Police Vehicle Accidents, Small-Town Agencies

Trigger @ 4/29/2013 3:05 PM

What a sad event. If you are going to kill yourself why be selfish and risk another's life?

Bruce @ 4/29/2013 3:09 PM

departments still deny, ignore and turn their backs on officers in crisis. At my old department anyone with problems were called sniviling, malcontents and suffered at the hands of management. I see in the decade since I retired, nothing much has changed. Sad.

H.E.HUNTER @ 4/29/2013 6:10 PM

RETIRED AFTER 22 YEARS...WORKED FOR A CHIEF WHO SAID THE ONLY STRESS IN POLICE WORK IS THE STRESS YOU BRING ON YOURSELF. IT SADDENS ME READING ABOUT THIS YOUNG OFFICER TAKING HIS LIFE. PLEASE IF YOU ARE READING THIS THEIR IS NO SHAME IN ASKING FOR HELP OR SEEKING OUT AVENUWS FOR ISSUES YOU MIGHT BE FACING. I AGREE DEPARTMENTS DO TURN THEIR BACKS...WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BROTHERHOOD HAVING YOUR BROTHERS BACK!

Chasity @ 4/29/2013 6:11 PM

There is no question in my mind that each and every dept should have a counselor/ therapist on staff and require each officer to see them at least on a monthly basis. The dept should also include this for the family members. LEOs are very proud people. They are the ones that are there to solve the worlds problems and very seldom worry about their own. This is a tragedy and I pray for this man and his family.

Kathy @ 4/29/2013 6:28 PM

My son who was a deputy sheriff commited suicide 3 1/2 years ago. He was a great guy and a great cop.

beverts @ 4/29/2013 6:31 PM

4 comments and each one has an opinion about a short article describing the death of a police officer and nothing else. Before opinions are spewed like vomit from drunken frat boys. Why not wait and see what caused the horrible incident and if we never find out what wrong with exercising our right to remain silent. Brian's family and his police family are devestated and grieving and here come the armchair Chiefs. Good for you do you feel better.

RICHARD ISAACS @ 4/29/2013 6:44 PM

PTSD AMONG POLICE OFFICERS IS HERE TO STAY AND WILL ONLY GROW WORSE. A POLICEMAN THAT TAKES HIS LIFE IS CONSIDERED A COWARD. LOOKING FOR HELP IS CONSIDERED. COWARDICS. THE NAMES OF IFFICERS WHE COMMIT SUICIDE ARE CONSIDERED COWARDS AND MANAGEMENT DOES NOT WANT TO SUICIDE TO BE PUT ON THE LIST OF ON DUTY INJURIES BECAUSE INSURANCE RATES WOULD UP UP AS WOULD PREMIUMSM

IN TODAY'S WORLD, POLICE SUICEDE MEANS COWARDICE, HIGHER INSURANCE PREMIUMS, GREATER BENEFITS TO THE FAMILY AND A BLACK MARK ON THE REPUTATION OF THE DEPARTMENT. BUT ALMOST EVERYDAY A POLICEPERSON PUTS A GUN TO HIS HEAD AND PULLS THE TRIGGER. LOOKING FOR MENTAL HEALTH LEADS TO RUMORS AND FAMILIES WITHOUT MOTHERS AND FATHERS. HOW DO WE STOP IT? IF IT CAN BE SHOWN THAT PTSD WAS THE CAUSING FACTOR THAT LET TO THE THE SUICIDE, THEN THE OFFICER SHOULD BE BURRIED WITH FULL POLICE HONORS AND HIS HAMILY SHOULD GET FULL BENEFITS. ALSO, HIS NAME SHOULD BE PLACED ON THE WALLS OF HONOR IN SACRAMENTO AND WASHIGTON.
COME ON POLICE ADMIN, SHOW SOME COMPASSION. NOT ALL SOLDIERS ARE KILLED CHARGING THE ENEMY, KILLING EVERYONE IN SITE WAVING THE AMERICAN FLAG SINGING THE NATIONAL ANTHAM.
FINALLY, GET IN TOUCH WITH THE BOL "BADGE OF LIFE" WHOSE GOAL IT IS TO BRING HONOR TO THE OFFICERS WHO TOOK THEIR LIVES WHILE TRYING TO MUSTER THE COURAGE EVERY DAY TO LOOK INTO THE THE EYES OF THE FAMILIES OF THE DEAD VICTIMS OF GANG VIOLENCE AND THE FACES OF THEIR OWN DEAD WHO COULD NO LONGER FACE THE SOULS LEAVING THIS WORLD AND ENTERING THE NEXT. "HEROES LIVE FOR EVER" ALL SAFETY PERSONNEL ARE HEROES" GOD BLESS THE HEREOS.

\\\ AND THAT MEANE MORE OUTOUT OF OF MONEY

Scout 61 @ 5/1/2013 8:40 AM

I was sent by my admin to see a counselor after a citizen complained that I was mean when protecting a female trainee from attack from a "citizen" who was 6'5, 280 lbs. When my admin was told by the counselor that I had PTSD after one session of 10 scheduled counseling sessions, my sessions were cancelled and I was given a letter of reprimand for being mean to the "citizen". PTSD in law enforcement is a huge problem but it is ignored by all the holy admininstrators who would just prefer to "write em up till there was enough letters in the file so they can fire em!

Kathy Foust @ 5/2/2013 6:52 AM

This is so sad.the things a police officer see.is unreal.most are at the first to arrive ate the wrecks and tell the person bleeding to death to hold on and knowing they have no chance.on and on things they have to face each and every day.plus the pay is too little.there hearts behind the badge are huge.can't all ware one .prayers go to his family.God Bless our police offers.

Ronald Castro @ 5/2/2013 6:29 PM

My prayers to all of you for healing and to stop the heart break involved in this very sad subject.

Chris Spaulding @ 5/3/2013 8:57 AM

My heart goes out to his family. I was a police officer here in Maryland until April 19, 2012 when Sheriff Rex Coffey of the Charles County Sheriff's Office fired me for not being "Fit For Duty." I was being treated for PTSD which I was diagnosed with in January of 2012. I suffered for years with the condition because I was afraid of being labeled or even fired and not being able to take care of my wife and six children. Well, I guess I was right for fearing that.

Things need to change through out our country so public servants can get the help they need without having to worry about losing everything. Go to YouTube and check out " Code 9 Officer Needs Assistance" and share it with everyone you know. Very very powerful and so true! Nothing will ever change until everyone comes together and gets behind our warriors and make the administrators change their policies.

Ima Leprechaun @ 5/3/2013 9:37 AM

There is not enough information in this article to understand anything. Obviously he had a problem long before his suicide. More background information would be helpful as to what preceded this event. There are many different free programs available to help Officers with personal and professional issues and I only wish he was aware of them before committing suicide. Rest in Peace my brother.

Wild Bill @ 5/11/2013 9:24 PM

MAYBE NOT SUICIDE, WHEN I WAS YOUNG AND STUPID I USE TO LOAD MY SIG WHILE I WAS DRIVING. UNTILL I ALMOST SHOT MY SELF WHEN IT JAMED ON ME