POLICE Advisory Board Member Dies

March 28, 2013  |

Photo via ILEETA.
Photo via ILEETA.

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Sgt. Brian Stover, a 31-year law enforcement veteran and POLICE Magazine Advisory Board member, has died.

Stover, 59, died early Monday from stage-four melanoma with his family present. Stover had filed for retirement effective Tuesday.

Prior to joining the LASD, Stover served with state, county and municipal police agencies in Illinois. He had been involved in training officers since 1978.

His areas of expertise included officer survival, firearms, less-lethal weapons, defensive tactics, baton and use of force. He was a court-recognized expert in baton use, firearms training, and use of force. He had appeared on television as a use-of-force expert.

Stover was a long-time member of POLICE's Advisory Board and served as a vital resource along with 22 other members. He also took Editor David Griffith on his first ride-along in December 2001.

"I was newly hired as editor of Police Magazine, and I was looking for guidance from veteran officers," Griifth said. "Brian extended his hand in friendship and showed me the ropes on a chilly night in Carson, Calif. I ran into Brian many times during the last 12 years, and he was always smiling. He was a squared-away officer and a genuinely nice human being. My condolences to his family and his many, many friends."

Tags: L.A. County Sheriff, policemag, Sergeants

Joanne Stover Pusateri @ 3/28/2013 1:14 PM

My name is Joanne and I am Brian's lil sis from Edison Park Illinois where we grew up. Brian would have turned 60 this July 7 and he will be sorely missed. His journey through life was filled with many accomblishments, I am proud of him and I will always honor his name and remember all the fond memories we shared. Thank you for this rememberance in his name. He is safely home.

Harvey Hedden @ 3/28/2013 3:48 PM

Brian was a friend, cop, trainer and a valued member of the International Law Enforcement Educators & Trainers Assn. Advisory Board. We were looking forward to seeing him in a few weeks. He will be missed but his training will carry on through those he taught. Our prayers are with him and his family.

Todd Wolf @ 3/28/2013 4:32 PM

wow, I remember speaking to Sgt Stover a few months back when he approved my booking. We talked about Police Magazine and some of his articles. To his family, I am very sorry for your loss. From what I knew of him, he was a great man. I find this hard as I am currently dealing with Stage 3 Cancer. RIP Brother as your legacy will be carried on.

Jerry Longden @ 3/28/2013 7:29 PM

I was lucky enough to know Brian over the last few years after meeting him at the Ileeta conference. He never was without his smile great attitude and he will be sorely missed.

Steve Ashley @ 3/28/2013 9:13 PM

Good-bye, My Friend. Miss you already.

Mark Pearce @ 3/31/2013 5:09 AM

A great sheepdog and trainer, Brian you will be greatly missed.

THE POLICEMANS PRAYER

For reflection

The policeman stood and faced his God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining
Just as brightly as his brass.

“Step forward now, policeman.
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To my church have you been true?”

The officer squared his shoulders
and said, “No, Lord, I guess I ain’t.
Because those of us who carry badges
Can’t always be a saint.

But I never took a penny
That wasn’t mine to keep.
I worked a lot of overtime,
When the bills just got too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I wept unmanly tears.

I know I don’t deserve a place
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around
Except to calm their fear.

If you’ve a place for me here, Lord
It needn’t be so grand
I never expected, or had too much;
But if you don’t, I’ll understand”

There was silence all around the Throne
Where the saints had often trod,
As the policeman waited quietly
For the judgement of his God.

“Step forward now, policeman,
You’ve borne your burdens well.
Come walk a beat on Heaven’s streets.
You’ve done your time in Hell”

Rocky Warren @ 4/2/2013 2:45 PM

Godspeed Brian. Thank you for your service, the lives you saved and for the family and friends who supported you so well during your life and beyond.
Bless you all!