2 N.J. Troopers Fired for High-Speed Escort

March 11, 2013  |

Photo: POLICE file
Photo: POLICE file

The New Jersey State Police fired two troopers for altering their license plates to avoid being detected for escorting a convoy of sports cars at high speeds to Atlantic City.

Sgt. 1st Class Nadir Nassry, 47, accepted a plea agreement and admitted to felony fourth-degree falsifying or tampering with records and will be banned from future law enforcement or public employment in the state, reports The Star-Ledger.

A second trooper was charged with the same felony and will also be banned from future law enforcement employment in New Jersey. If Joseph Ventrella, 29, completes a pre-trial program for first-time offenders, the charge against him will be dismissed.

The troopers were suspended in April for an escort dubbed "Death Race 2012" by one witness. Gov. Chris Christie called the escort "a dumb thing to do."

Tags: New Jersey State Police, Officer Fired, Police Escorts

Trigger @ 3/11/2013 5:24 PM

I do not agree with what the Troopers did. But during a time when we are running short of cops what happened to demotions and as a state agency a mandatory self move transfer. I question the extreme reasoning of some command.

gp cobb @ 3/11/2013 10:46 PM

Ditto, Trigger

Matt @ 3/12/2013 4:44 AM

Trigger: I don't know about other states, but in Virginia if you are convicted of a felony you can't be a LEO. Since it seems they were both charged with criminal violations and not just internal policy violations, and since they accepted the plea agreements, I doubt they could keep their jobs under state law.

I think Gov. Christie understated the significance of the offense...it was more than just a stupid thing to do. Stupid can be fixed, these former officers knowingly and intentionally committed a felony crime and facilitated civilians committing at least serious traffic offenses.

I am curious if any of the sports car drivers were charged with anything related to this.

9mm @ 3/12/2013 5:23 AM

I agree whole heartedly that these two idiots were fired after their internal. They covered up on paper what was a crime. There are way to many NJSP troopers that get away with all sorts of crimes against the public. It's about time they got what's coming to them. After all they are the highest paid law enforcement in the country today. What they really need is to have the whole NJSP over hauled and their pay brought into line with others around the country. Cut their damn pay.

Lt. Sal @ 3/12/2013 6:12 AM

I hope the rich folks, brandon Jacobs for one, provide these two with some funds so they can go on. Nadir is a friend of Jacobs and was asked to do this as a favor. He should have said "No." because they covered their tags and weaved in and out of traffic at 100 MPH they do deserve to lose their jobs. What hapens with their pensions is another story, but the rich can take care of them and assume some of the responsibility. To them it is probably a funny part of the story. Always think two steps ahead my brothers and sisters. Stay safe.

JaTu @ 3/12/2013 6:45 AM

@9mm: It sounds like you have an axe to grind...Your making wide ranging accusations "There are way to many NJSP troopers that get away with all sorts of crimes" without providing any proof....your rant sounds like a stereotypical cop hater?
My opinion, they should have gotten fired, and charged with misdemeanors and traffic violations but to permanently end their careers was going overboard.

Stuntman22 @ 3/12/2013 7:35 AM

Discipline was heavy handed for What really amounted to motor vehicle violations. This went as far as it did because of the people involved. Punish the Troopers, Yes but firing them? A little much.
9mm, sounds like you don't like the NJSP because they make too much money? First of all, they are not the highest paid. I can name 5 Depts in Bergen County alone that make more. Do you hate them too. You must despise Nassau County Police they do even better.
My opinion, they don't make enough. Most Depts strive to be as professional as the NJSP. If I was a betting man I'd say they probably locked you up.

Nighthawk @ 3/12/2013 7:49 AM

I agree with Stuntman22's assessment of 9mm. This guy was definately arrested by NJSP for something, probably a 4-50. The hatred towards police is pretty evident in the words he writes!!

BlueT @ 3/12/2013 10:08 AM

Matt:
I echo all of your sentiments exactly. Here in VA, officers are, rightly so, held to a high standard. But it goes beyond the criminal act. When did Honor cease to be NECESSARY to be an LEO? To call this action stupid is to call the Japanese tsunami minor flooding. This is a black eye to LEO's everywhere. To not hold these two morons accountable for this action, demeans all of us.

Francis @ 3/13/2013 11:14 AM

I am a LEO in VA for more than 25 years. I have to totally agree with Matt. When the individual officers covered the license plates and did something so unlawful and so reckless, they had the intention to cover up. That is a matter of integrity and honor. Whoever sides with these fired troopers should not be employed as LEO as well, because they know either integrity and honor.

cpl AR @ 3/18/2013 8:32 AM

Heavy Handed? Really? As a 22 yr veteran in a medium size department in the mid south I believe in supporting all my brothers elsewhere in the country, but to defend this action smacks of a tolerance level I do not have. To attepmt to dismiss this as an internal infraction of rules is rediculous. This is a public black eye for the department, the state, and the job in general. It was not just a stupid thing to do but a willful abuse of the badge, car and position of trust. How many of the troopers tickets could be challenged as a result of this stunt. Not only should the have been fired but they should be prosecuted as well and anything less damages public faith in every honest hard working cop in the country. By covering their license plates or however they attempted to avoid identification they accepted that what they were doing was wrong and thereby is a conspiracy to commit a crime. How can anyone defend that, and the argument that they should not be fired because the department is short handed is idiotic on its face. Because we are short handed should we hire dumbasses and felons just to fill our rosters with adequate manpower? No, NO and Hell No! We are held to a higher standard and that is why when we willfully screw up we lose our entire career a mistake is a mistake but a willful act to commit a crime is a crime and so is a willful act to enable others to commit crimes. It is like a cop helping people shoplift or steal cars or forge checks. Does it make it any less wrong to help people endanger hundreds of motorists for a high speed vanity parade for the wealthy?

karwithak @ 3/21/2013 9:02 AM

9MM I hope that you did get stopped by our fine NJSP and not given a break. You have no idea what you are talking about as far as pay. Stuntman22 was right about Bergen cops making more than our Troopers, but let's not forget our brother and sister Corrections Officers who I can attest have made over $200,000 in salaries. I used to be one and made $178,000 in 2004 and had I stayed on and not became a street cop would have been making well over $240,000. As far as the Troopers that lost their jobs, I hope they persevere. In NJ, the criminal gets PTI with a chance to have their record clean after a year, but cops get punished to set some kind of moral example. Our politicians, judges, and most lawyers suck! They know what's good for New Jerseyans, YEAH RIGHT!