Fla. Students Design License Plate Honoring Fallen Officers

March 01, 2013  |

Photo courtesy of Operation 10-24.
Photo courtesy of Operation 10-24.

A group of Florida high school students unveiled a specialty license plate Thursday that would honor fallen officers, reports the Tampa Tribune.

Students in the Pinellas Park High School's Criminal Justice Academy Class of 2014 launched the project, which has drawn the attention of state legislators who promptly introduced bills to make their dream a reality.

The plate would include two thin blue lines, three stars, two badges, and the words "A man remembered never dies."

Tags: Officer Memorials, Thin Blue Line, Criminal Justice Students

Adam @ 3/1/2013 1:59 PM

That plate is great!!!! Great job kids!!

Marcos A Giraud @ 3/1/2013 4:38 PM

This is great tribute for my fallen brothers in blue RIP

J.C. Martinez @ 3/1/2013 10:10 PM

Honorable job for an honorable sacrifice. Excellent job kids!!! Keep. The tags of this kind coming.

Ronald DeMoulin @ 3/2/2013 1:46 PM

For all fallen Officers,as we present the American Flag to the family why can't these plates accompany the flag, Do we need a fund raiser or ask for donations to keep this going, Thanks Kids !!

Gregory Libow @ 3/4/2013 4:53 PM

Amazing looking plates, I want one! They are going to available in Florida?

Bman @ 3/4/2013 4:57 PM

Awesome plate. I currently have a PBA tag that I like because it says "Support law enforcement" in big letters at the bottom. I like that simple message. This tag is even better. I think it will be my next one. I agree it would be nice if they could incorporate the flag into it.

Hoshi @ 3/4/2013 5:26 PM

Retired cop, 32years, I think this is a terrific way to honor our fallen. I would suggest they add a red stripe for the fallen firefighters we often worked with. Just a thought.

Jim A @ 3/4/2013 7:23 PM

This is truly a good idea by a bunch of students who set out to honor the men and women of our profession that have given everything.

I disagree with the red stripe for fire fighters. Make a complete separate plate with red stripes and a fire emblem for them. They deserve their own. Money from the specialized plates can go to a memorial fund for the families - maybe a scholarship fund for the kids of those lost in the line of duty.

This is absolutely WONDERFUL!

Staniel @ 3/4/2013 8:30 PM

This is great. After nearly 400 funerals in the past 15 years on the Honor Guard, it's good to see kids doing stuff like this. Maybe this will motivate my Police Explorers to move forward on their big ideas. Kids like this FL group are the ones who will take over when I retire. It seems like they have a good start and I wish them the best.

Trigger @ 3/5/2013 4:54 AM

Great idea "A man remembered never dies", but what about our fallen female officers??

Lt. Sal @ 3/5/2013 5:32 AM

Great idea, but you may want to change the word "man" to "officer" so as not to offend our sisters who fight by our side as well. Does the plate allow for more characters or is five enough? Stay safe.

greg @ 3/5/2013 10:27 AM

Both good points. Unfortunately, changing to officer excludes a Sheriff's Deputy. And man obviously hints at the exclusion of females, who have also tragically become part of the statistics. How about "A BADGE REMEMBERED NEVER DIES"? Just a thought trying to create an acceptable line.

Jim @ 3/5/2013 12:17 PM

GREAT JOB to the kids!!!
How about "A HERO REMEMBERED NEVER DIES"
I also like the idea of a similar plate for Fire/EMS in red.
Every state should have this, with the $ going to the memorials and assistance funds.

Dominic @ 3/5/2013 3:17 PM

Great job...

Sky @ 3/6/2013 8:37 AM

Unfortunately when/if this plate is put into service I think it give all the nut case cop haters another target. I would not have one on my PV and would not want any of my family members to have one. When in uniform we proudly fly our colors, but off duty is different. If I missed something re that I apologize. This plate would be excellent on marked police cars, as for unmarked, all the bad guys/gals know or assume a Crown Vic type unit is a police car anyway so they would be great plates to have on them. Not being paranoid, just don't want to attract more sociopaths.

tim @ 3/7/2013 4:42 PM

Sky, you made a really good point. But maybe it will keep the criminals away from the cars that have them.

Chris Masone @ 11/8/2013 10:38 AM

I would proudly put one on my car, to remember the fallen.

I agree with you but you are a target when you are in uniform or not due to the job.