Ariz. Officers Claim Privacy Violation In DNA Lawsuit

December 11, 2012  |

Photo via Phoenix PD.
Photo via Phoenix PD.

Three Phoenix Police officers claim their privacy rights were violated when they were forced to give DNA samples during the investigation into the mysterious death of a fellow officer.

Officers Daniel Bill, Bryan Hanania, and Michael Malpass were among the first responders to the call the night Sgt. Sean Drenth was found fatally wounded near the state Capitol on Oct. 18, 2010, reports the Arizona Republic.

Drenth's death was ruled a suicide. Judicial Watch filed the lawsuit Monday on behalf of the officers.

Related:

Phoenix Cop's 2010 Death Remains a Mystery

Decorated Phoenix Police Sergeant Killed Near Capitol

Tags: DNA Evidence, Phoenix PD, Search and Seizure, Fourth Amendment

Ima Leprechaun @ 12/11/2012 3:05 PM

This fits in so well with the Chicago article

Ima Leprechaun @ 12/11/2012 3:09 PM

I do know Officer Malpass and I'd find it hard to believe he would hurt a fellow Officer. But its been a long time since I have seen him but I'd sure hate to think he'd hurt a fellow officer. He was always a very professional officer and a good human being when I knew him.

Ima Leprechaun @ 12/11/2012 3:19 PM

It does worry me that officers with nothing to hide would not provide evidence that would exonerate them. Officer Malpass is an expert in Mixed Martial Arts and with the strange array of the dead mans weapons it does suggest he was in a fight for his life before he died. It sounds as though someone "kicked his ass" prior to his death. I sure would hate to believe any fellow officers would do this but I would like to see what internal charges may have been pending against these or other officers due to any internal investigations being made by the Sergeant.

DEADMAN @ 12/12/2012 2:42 AM

Not knowing these three officers,i have no reason to doubt their veracity and not knowing the complete story on the incident report,i can only guess because the above story is a little too short but if i was one of the three officers,i think i would have to refuse volunteering my DNA and would fight any effort to force me to do it.I would just have a problem with having my DNA in a world wide database.

Constitution @ 12/12/2012 6:57 AM

It is a violation of the officer's 4th amendment. Even cops do not have to PROVE they are innocent. The government has to PROVE the guilt.

Dan @ 12/12/2012 7:01 AM

To Deadman: I agree with Ima Leprechaun. If they got nothing to hide, why worry? It automatically makes one suspicious.

Sky @ 12/12/2012 7:08 AM

In the course of a death investigation all bases need to be covered, if there is nothing to hide, submitting to a DNA test would clear or possibly implicate a suspect. If the LEO's involved do not understand this concept they are perhaps in the wrong profession. I expect this type of protest from suspects. Unfortunately there was female LAPD Detective that murdered her male lovers wife or girlfriend a few years ago when that Detective was on duty and involved in the case at some level. She was eventually ID'd by DNA from a bite mark she left on her victim. You guys need to get a clue, sometimes even sociopaths manage to pass all the tests and make it out of the Academy. Your rights to privacy ended when you were sworn in.

Trigger @ 1/8/2013 5:22 AM

Nothing like standing up to assist a brother who has been killed. These three Phoenix officers need to take a long hard look at the statement they are making. Sure Sgt. Drenth's death has been ruled as a suicide, but there are still many unanswered questions as to what really happened. I knew Sgt. Drenth and it is hard for me to believe that he committed suicide. When following the various news releases and several extensive news research reports which have been printed along with the general consensus of many Phoenix officers something bad happened that night to Sean. For fellow officers to start flexing their muscles and attempting to hinder this investigation is repulsive. I question what there stance would be if they needed dna from a fellow officer for an investigation and were told it's not happening.