Recruits Face Long Road In Michigan

February 07, 2012  |

Screenshot: WSBT
Screenshot: WSBT

About one half of the more than 400 recruits who graduate from Michigan's 19 police academies each year find placement with agencies, according to a WSBT report.

The state has lost more than 3,000 police jobs since 2001.

The report follows Officer David Price, who has a part time job in the Village of Sand Lake, the Village of Sparta, two different security jobs, and lives with his parents in Grand Rapids. He also makes about $10-$15 with no benefits.

When a recruit graduates from the police academy, they have one year to get a job. If they don't, they have to pay their own way to re-certify. Price estimated that with lodging and food, it cost him $1,500.

Tags: Training Academies, Certification, Training Standards

cliff frosch @ 2/7/2012 9:07 PM

come out west invitation to certified officers to come to New Mexico where we have a shortage of good Officers come fill our ranks using the knowledge you paid for but can not land a job there.

jason @ 2/8/2012 7:14 AM

I am one of those unfortunate graduates who has yet to find a job. I am 38. I graduated from a michigan academy in the top percent of my class, I have a degree and I have also recertified once already. I have been on multiple oral boards and I still have no understanding of what it takes to get hired. All I get are letterssaying someone else matched their criteria more than I did. You see the one thing these departments never do, is tell you what you did wrong on an oral board so even if you do not get hired with that department at least you may be able to better prepare yourself for another one. only thing I can gather is my age. any and all feedback is welcome.

Eric @ 2/8/2012 10:47 AM

I'm one of the lucky ones that got a job after I graduated in 2006. I too was 38 years old, but managed to to squeak a living till I was laid off in 2009. I got a job in a small town PD but it wasn't paying the bills. I ended up moving to another state and moving in with family. I still haven't gotten another LE job, so it's not just Michigan hurting.

Jeff @ 2/10/2012 5:55 PM

Move to Florida

jeffrey @ 2/13/2012 2:02 PM

If you need work, go to a big city. You may have to leave your state. Texas is always hiring.

KB @ 2/14/2012 2:04 AM

Hey Jason you might want to try the Washinton, D.C. area there is no age restriction around here exept for the feds if your military you might be able to get in. Good Luck.

KB @ 2/14/2012 2:05 AM

I agree with jeff Texas is better cost of living is cheaper than being here in the D.C. area.

Marshal @ 2/15/2012 10:06 AM

I have been in police work for 17 years. I had to leave my home state to get a job but it was worth it. As for what you need to do to get hired, it is a toss up. I think the old ways of hiring need to be updated to give entry level and experienced officers a better way to be hired and an unbiased way. If you look at the officers that are making the news and getting in trouble for major crimes they have all gone through the "elite" hiring processes from the big agencies they work for. This should tell these agencies to change what they do but that message isn't getting through. They still spend huge amounts of money on a process that doesn't work well and costs way too much for what they do get. I know they cite liability but there are ways to reduce liability and still get quality people without treating the experienced people like entry level and booting out good entry level. Just a side note, I am not out looking for a job and have been in police administration for 9 years now. I just haven't forgot where I came from. At least not yet.