Bob Parker

Bob Parker

Lt. Robert Parker served with the Omaha (Neb.) PD for 30 years and commanded the Emergency Response Unit. He is responsible for training thousands of law enforcement instructors in NTOA's Patrol Response to Active Shooters courses.

Jose Medina

Jose Medina

Officer Jose Medina is an active member of the Piscataway (N.J.) Police Department's SWAT team and runs Awareness Protective Consultants (Team APC) tactical training.
SWAT

Active Shooter at Nursing Home: Engage or Wait for Backup?

How would you handle this active-shooter call as a patrol deputy?

May 25, 2011  |  by Bob Parker - Also by this author

With this SWAT blog, we're presenting an active-shooter scenario for your consideration. We'd like to know how you would handle it, so please add your comments below.

The scenario is based on an actual incident. In the next post, we'll give you the actual outcome. OK, here's the set up:

It's Sunday morning (around 10 a.m.) in a small, more rural town (of about 1,200 residents). The local police department has 12 sworn officers and one patrol officer on duty. The sheriff's department has two deputies on patrol in different parts of the county.

The lone officer on duty receives a radio call to investigate the sound of gunfire at the edge of town. This isn't an unusual call for the area. From time to time, target shooters and hunters enter the area and have to be warned off. Hunting and target shooting have been prohibited in the area because of its close proximity to a nursing home with an Alzheimer's unit.

It takes the officer three minutes to drive to the area. When he arrives in the parking lot of the nursing home, the officer observes a white male bleeding and leaning against a vehicle. The wounded man tells the officer he came to visit his elderly mother at the home. He also says that as he exited his vehicle a heavy set, white male with a beard shot him with a shotgun. He says the suspect walked into the home with his shotgun and a handgun. He heard gunshots from inside the home after the gunman entered.

The officer calls for backup from the sheriff and a rescue squad for the wounded party. The officer approaches the front door of the home and enters the lobby. There he finds three individuals, one on the floor bleeding and two elderly people in wheelchairs also bleeding from what appear to be gunshot wounds. All appear to be dead.

At this point, the dispatcher advises that the sheriff's deputies are at least three minutes away. An employee tells the officer that after shooting the people in the lobby, the gunman headed into a corridor that leads to the Alzheimer's unit. The employee adds that the shooter's estranged wife works in that unit. At this point, the officer hears four more gunshots and moves toward the corridor.

Now that you've been presented with the scenario, what would you do?

Would you move toward the corridor to close on the shooter or wait for backup? You're carrying only your .40-caliber service sidearm. Would you engage the suspect?

Look at the totality of the information given. Consider the up side, as well as what can go wrong before you choose a course of action.

Bob Parker is the Patrol Section chair for the National Tactical Officers Association.

Tags: Active Shooters, NTOA, Reality-Based Training

Robert Szelewski @ 5/26/2011 4:11 AM

Active shooter scenario requires 2 people.....minimum. It does nobody any good to go in and play "hero" and act solo, potentially getting yourself killed. Start thinking outside the box as far as backup: state police, neighboring jurisdictions,etc. Get to the scene, provide information for other responding units so you can make a tactical entry and not put them in harm's way as they approach. Paramedics won't enter an unsecured scene, so that is the bottom of the priority list. Once your other units arrive, head towards the sound of the gun shots. If it ends up just this officer and two deputies making an entry team, make a tripod formation with two in front watching left/right and the last watching the rear.

Blue Knight @ 5/26/2011 5:17 AM

I heard this from the Sgt in the academy when I went through years ago.....Sometimes its a bad day to be the police. I believe this fits here. Myself? I go in and take out the low life but everyone has there own opinion. Sometimes you can't wait for back-up. I work for a very large dept. where back up is usually only around the corner but still, sometimes you have to act alone....that's why we have that badge pinned to our chest.

Bobby Perry @ 5/26/2011 11:08 AM

First: I again would contact dispatch upgrading all info on suspect. Second: I would try to evacuate as many of the people out, careful not to let the perp fool me into letting him slip by.
Third: If back up is not yet there I may have no choice but to take control of the situation advising dispatch of my intentions again giving as much info on the shooter as I can. I would question the3 person that relayed the info on the shooter to me and find out where exists are and any other escape routes are. Carefully entering the active shooters area with a full description of them I would make my room search and keep my back to the wall and let my tactic's, experience, and training lead me to the perp and hopefully tacking them down before more innocent people are killed, after all I did take an oath to protect them and serve them. Besides with God for me then who can be against me.
This is not playing hero or having tunnel vision, I know exactly what I would be doing, that in itself and the element of surprise is on my side.

Greg @ 5/26/2011 3:44 PM

In this scenario, I am going in to engage the shooter. Prior to I will update dispatch as best I can with the information that I have. I have a problem with waiting for more units as this guys shoots more innocents. I dont think I am playing "hero" in this by going at it alone. There are studies that show that the lone officer has better success against the shooter vs waiting to form a team.

John Jackson @ 5/26/2011 5:16 PM

While never like heroics, I agree with Bobby Perry and Greg. Sometimes we have to go it alone to protect the inocent, doing so with caution and using our training.....that is the part of the job none of us like, but took an oath to do. JJ

kogk @ 5/26/2011 5:16 PM

Every 5-8 seconds somebody getting shot. The longer you wait the higher the body count. The "Stop watch of Death". The right thing for me would be search, find, destroy. Even if you don't destroy, you will distract, delay, deny the shooter from further victims. If you make your move with speed, surprise, and violence of action, the odds will be well in your favor. But it comes down to each individuals call. Then again; "you can do EVERYTHING right, but still get killed. That means God wants you".

PFeyerabend @ 5/26/2011 5:21 PM

First of all, I always have more than just a side arm, so I would go get my rifle and pack and get in there and find that guy and stop the killing. An active shooter needs to be terminated without delay, and just as I have many times before when I was working in a small town, if it has to be done solo then that's just the way it is.

Michael Marnach sr @ 5/26/2011 5:27 PM

When it comes to protecting the public, lose more lives while awaiting backup, the choice appears to be clear. It is our duty to prevent any further innocent deaths. I would advise dispatch of my intentions, providing information while enroute, (keeping the handheld keyed, talking low). I carry chalk in my uniform side pocket to mark accident scenes. (Works well marking doors etc) Would we wait outside a mall, school, or court offices for backup, while innocent citizens are dying? Personally I go in, done it in the past and will do it again. Always believed the best defense is a better and good offense. Thankfully my agency has trained us in this and other types of scenario's, several times I might add. Kudos to our rangemasters also for doing it. I would be pleased to find the end result of this.

Steve in LA @ 5/26/2011 5:49 PM

I agree with the majority of commenter’s; we need to make entry, even if it’s one officer. We then have to apply maximum force against the shooter or shooters. As the late African hunter Peter Capstick said about hunting dangerous game, “You can’t make them too dead!”

D.J. Outhouse @ 5/26/2011 6:28 PM

What this senario boils down to is that the suspect is actively engaged in murder within earshot. It would be a hard thing for me to reflect on later knowing I stood there even just 3 minutes while the shooter murdered countless individuals just down the corridor from me. If I was in that officer's position I wouldn't be answering that call without a patrol rifle. I am a sheriff's deputy and we carry patrol rifles and shotguns. I am never armed with just one gun. Col. Grossman says it best: going against a pistol threat with a rifle is like fighting a man who is armed with a knife while you have a chainsaw. The reverse can be true too... However for the sake of argument, even if I was just armed with my duty pistol, I would still go seek out and engage the suspect in an attempt to stop his murdering more innocent citizens. Even if you just enaged the suspect with the knowledge of your presence without overly exposing yourself to his return fire, that causes him to divert his attention to you and not those citizens at his mercy. Often times an active shooter when confronted with a police presence will simply kill themself. That is not to say you should expect that. Go mentally prepared to enter a gunfight if you go at all. If an officer chooses to go in and engage the suspect with or without back-up he/she should make sure they tell their dispatch and everyone else listening in that they are making entry from whatever point they are doing so and moving in what ever direction they plan to. That information can prove life saving later.

No Joke @ 5/26/2011 6:45 PM

I would not advise or endorse going into a situation with multiple shooters and/or heavily armed and prepared suspects where the odds for success are little to none. In this case, the officer has had time to evaluate the situation. He knows it is a solo shooter and the weapons he is armed with. In this case, the officer should take action as long as they go in to locate, isolate, and ELIMINATE the threat. Speed, surprise, and violence of action is their only chance of success. Ideally, he would come prepared with his rifle. This may take only a moment or two to retrieve from his vehicle, but a decision he has to make now.

Garywilson @ 5/26/2011 8:51 PM

Take your .40 and handle it.
3 minutes can be another 30 (or more) shot.
Of course, I'm 'old school' and never considered any other option despite 'new thinking' policies of the last 30 years.

batosai117 @ 5/26/2011 9:12 PM

Since I do work for the county, I understand that backup could be 5 to 30 minutes away. Therefore, I would make entry and handle the situation solo. I know that my supervisors would order me to wait for backup, but sometimes you just have to get things done. I couldn't stand by doing nothing knowing that a human being is being killed in the next room.

I also worked for a one horse town police dept before and I was the swat team, traffic controller, animal control, task force, etc. after hours. There was no backup at that town. Four officers including the chief.

michael cusick @ 5/26/2011 11:00 PM

Personally in this situation i would wish to have a ready made SWAT Team going in, but in reality there is No real time for that. Realize the most help you are going to get is about 8 additional Officers and that is going to take a while to assemble. The immediate backup is 3 minutes away. So that is 2 of them.

I would disengage long enough to upgrade my weapondry from my cruiser but then I would reenter to engage the assailant.

At the very least i would attempt to keep the assailant from killing additional civilians.

I'm no hero @ 5/27/2011 3:08 AM

I don't think I could live with myself if I waited for more help to arrive. I've had this conversation with the guys and gals I work with. I've said in no uncertain terms that I'm not going to wait. At the very least, the shooter is going to have to contend with me. And as long as he has to deal with me, he won't be killing innocent old folks.

prwillen @ 5/27/2011 3:56 AM

Bobby and Robert-I'm gonna call shenanigans. Bobby, you're moving too slow. Interview employees for all possible exits, evacuate as many as possible, and move room to room with you back against the wall? People are dying. And there is nothing that says you can not or should not go it alone. It's not about being heroic. In a real situation like this, you will not wait to the "proper" amount of people so you can form a diamond or wedge or any other coordinated formation. Given the scenario, you should enter and engage the suspect. Remember, 9 out of 10 active shooters will stop when confronted by an authority. He might even kill himself when you do. In this situation, waiting is not an option.

Michael Lowery @ 5/27/2011 4:58 AM

I would engage the shooter. Statitistically, the majority of mass shooters will commmitt suicide when confronted by law eforcement or shoot it out with police. Even though outgunned, I would feel an obligation to respond, confront the suspect and make every attempt stop the shooting. Columbine showed us we can't wait for swat and at times even wait for a one officer back-up.

chris @ 5/27/2011 7:06 AM

I work in a very small department, that this could happen. in that case ya it sucks to be by yourself but it is an active shooter, you go and engage the threat, rely on your training, we were all trained very well, some better then others, but we were all given the skills to go in and take that threat out. If you don't act now 3 min could be enough time to take out every last person in that nursing home.

Chief Charles Thacker @ 5/27/2011 7:16 AM

Active shooter means just that. You don't have time to wait for backup if you want to save lives. Having said that each officer must have the proper training and know-how to deal with an active shooter situation. You can't stop the shooter if you are wounded or dead, so use your training and keep a cool head. I am head of a small department and we always work alone (one officer per shift). We dont have the luxury of having a partner or backup.

sam @ 5/27/2011 7:21 AM

No choice-Radio your information and ride to the sound of the gunfire. Move quietly and quickly and use any advantage you can along the way until you can nail him before he murders anyone else. Let's face it, sometimes you're going to be the only one in position to act in time to save a life. Columbine taught us that we can't wait in an active shooter situation and that seconds count. I'd rather move in with a backup but if none is available, so be it.

Rick @ 5/27/2011 8:53 AM

I am half of my department. My back up may or may not be available. The State Police also may not be available. While I have no hospital or nursing home to worry about in my 1000 population town, I do have a School, all grades. Should I become aware of, am dispatched to an "active shooter" on campus I will take my trauma bag and enter. I have advised my local EMS and others that if they see my unit anywhere near the school, and I do not reply by radio, assume I am inside. While waiting in a DPS SWAT team, that could be over an hour, I will do my best to protect and treat those students and teachers I find. I will ofcourse "make contact" with the shooter if he/she is still on location. I do not want a Columbine where victims die waiting for the very basic of first aid. Having been an E.M.T. and former flight medic I will provide a tad better than Basic first aid. At least the victims will have someone there to protect them and assure them they are not alone.
That is my plan. Not the best, but given my local assets, resources and all that goes into a tactical decision, thats it.
God Bless all my fellow First Responders, L.E.,FD and EMS alike,
Rick

Kris Mayfield @ 5/27/2011 9:54 AM

Have to go in and find shooter. Shooter is actively shooting innocent persons. You are their only immediate hope of surviving by going in as soon as possible. Do not waste time checking those already shot as that gives the shooter more time to shoot additional innocents. Notify Dispatch you are headed in so later arriving officers will know you are actively inside looking for suspect. Arriving officers can/should attempt to contact you and ascertain your location before entering and linking up with you. Find shooter and end his killing spree.

Rick Scholl @ 5/27/2011 12:26 PM

I don't believe this is any different than a school active shooter incident. Our County is similar to what your story indicates for manpower and coverage except many times our back-up may be more than 40 minutes away. As difficult a situation this is, you need to stop the shooter and hopefully rely on your training, expertise, cover, concealment and surprise to stop the shooter from killing more innocent people.

William F. Barnett @ 5/27/2011 12:40 PM

I would notify the dispatcher thatI have an active shooterand I am entering thescene. I would advance toward the gunfire by using my training for clearing a building. I would attempt to stop the shooting by use of deadly force if needed. My job is to stop the killing and not wait for backup under the circumstances

Jim Crone @ 5/27/2011 1:51 PM

No choice here kids - go directly to the threat and engage. You have victims who cannot defend themselves or get away. As a sheriff of a rural county, my guys are taught the same. That's why we have chosen to wear badge - to protect the innocent. I would rather die trying than have to live with knowing someone's grandmother was killed in her bed because I waited for help. And in this day and age if you haven't received enough training on how to deal with an armed threat, you best find another line of work.

Mark Lotthammer @ 5/27/2011 9:05 PM

You have to go in solo. Yes, your back up is only three minutes away but that is three minutes of life saving you could be doing. The shooter is obviously shooting anyone in his path. Try and save as many lives as possible.

critter852 @ 5/27/2011 11:00 PM

you have an armed suspect actively engaging unarmed civilians. how do you sit on your ass and allow more people to lose their lives who have no way of defending themselves while you stand by ARMED in the lobby waiting for backup with the potential of saving those lives? our jobs as police officers require us to put ourselves in harm's way to protect the innocent and defenseless. go in utilizing speed, surprise, and violence of action. put an end to the murderous rampage of a coward. if you aren't willing to do that, it may be time to think of another profession.

Mark @ 5/28/2011 1:20 AM

As soon as you pulled into the parking lot and saw the first victim, you were in the fight. Once you went inside, you're already "going it alone". A slow methodical approach while continually calling in updates, and leaving a fall back plan if your backup shows up quickly. The dispatcher said "at least three minutes away" meaning it could be 5, 10, 15 minutes. And it's the on duty sheriffs coming... there's only 2. It's not like an army is coming no matter how long you wait. Keep moving forward. Recruit the employee to evacuate patients that you've cleared. You know you can't stand there while people get shot.

DOROTHY @ 5/28/2011 5:54 AM

Innocent lives are at stake....find the shooter and shoot him.

joy @ 5/28/2011 7:35 AM

I AGREE WITH ROBERT SZELEWSKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don hickox @ 5/28/2011 8:07 PM

Based on the information given and gauging the wounds of the wounded to validate his firepower, I would try to locate and engage the suspect but do so out of effective shotgun range.

Marlon Shuff @ 5/29/2011 6:16 AM

There should be no blanket answer for a single officer response to an activer shooter incident. Factors to consider: Level of experience and training for the responding officer, physical ability, mindset, type of responding weapon, number of shooters, type of weapon involved, etc..However, this scenario is a no-brainer since we have a single shooter armed with a shotgun. Assuming that those "four more gunshots" means that innocent victims are being slaughtered, this is decision is easy for me. I would move in and neutralize the threat. To wait for back-up would mean that the shooter has 3-4 minutes to continue shooting, reloading, moving, and shooting some more.

Chuck Haggard @ 5/29/2011 1:44 PM

The idea that you cannot go in alone is bullshit. Plain and simple. I am strongly of the opinion that if we have to go, then we go.

I was faced with that a similar situation myself several years ago; when there are shots fired reported by the dispatcher on 911, and you arrive one minute later to a lady running from the front door, bleeding from a gunshot to the face and she's screaming "He's killing the babies, he's killing the babies", well, you go, and you go right F'ing now.

You do not have time to wait for back-up, to jock up with your cool guy active-shooter gear or anything else, you go.

Period.

Too many of the incidents where an active-shooter was successfully stopped have been due to single officers or armed citizens for anyone to intelligently argue that going solo shouldn't happen.

You can read my article on this subject here;

Glenn @ 5/29/2011 1:50 PM

This is very easy decision for me...you go! You go, listen and move towards the gun shots...peoples lives depend on it! What if your mother or father were inside? Would you hesitate? As a police officer that is what I am trained to do...but I understand and will respect whatever decision another officer makes, it is not for me to judge.

i

John @ 5/30/2011 3:28 PM

I know it's up to each officer, but waiting outside just is not part of my personality, not to mention creating some liability for the officer and jurisdiction. Being part of a tac unit gives me a sheild in my trunk, my level 4 vest, and an M4. I would still go in with just my sidearm, you should have the tactical advantage, the suspect will be creating a large disturbance so you can follow his progress and he is intent on finding his estranged wife.

Sean Rice @ 5/30/2011 3:46 PM

Find the best cover near my location and advise Dispatch. Have additional units arrive without lights and sirens and meet me. Then, advance down the corridor and shoot on sight if the A S is holding a weapon.

dmessler @ 5/31/2011 1:07 AM

Third: If back up is not yet there I may have no choice but to take control of the situation advising dispatch of my intentions again giving as much info on the shooter as I can. I would question the3rd person that relayed the info on the shooter to me and find out where exists are and any other escape routes are. Carefully entering the active shooters area with a full description of Him I would make my room search and keep my back to the wall and let my tactic's, experience, and training lead me to the perp and hopefully tacking him down before more innocent people are killed,

Richard Ferrell @ 5/31/2011 6:07 AM

Engage immediately. Time=Life. How many people could you kill in three minutes with your service weapon in a nursing home? 46, if you just had a single patrol setup. In that 3 minutes time countless lives could be saved. A significant stratagey to active shooter response is to disrupt the shooters plan. You arn't disrupting anything by waiting 3 minutes until help arrives. Make the shooter focus on you verses those who are helpless.

deputy erick becker @ 5/31/2011 11:00 AM

Absolutely move forward to the sound of the gunfire. Locate the perpetrator and kill him. The gunman has already made his intent clear. Time is of the essence. Locate and eliminate the shooter, period! This is what we are paid for, this is what we have sworn to do. In a perfect world we would have back-up but, this is the real world and shit never goes as planned or as we have trained for. The answer is painfully obvious and clear to me, I don't understand the dilema?

CHARLES LINNEMAN @ 5/31/2011 12:35 PM

Agree with most of the other responders, YOU RESPOND, there's a ACTIVE SHOOTER, You know from a wounded victim that the shooter is a w/m with a beard carring a shotgun and pistol, you HEAR shooting. I'm a Deputy Sheriff is a rural community, I carry a shotgun. Obtain the shotgun . Notify dispatch, giving the obtained information for other responding units knowledge , advise which entrance you are entering and you go in. Like many other rural areas your backup may be a long way off. You cannot afford to

wait , you make a plan, advise dispatch an GO. You're not playing HERO as one described , your'e doing the job you swore a oath to do. Protect the public. If you're not willing to do the job then find

another that you can do.

CEL in MI

Erick Becker @ 5/31/2011 9:39 PM

I posted a brief reply earlier from my phone and later, once at home and off duty, I read all of the other responses. I am very troubled by some of them. I have read everything from wait for back-up to call dispatch and tell them your plan and then go in. Lets look at another scenario with the same demands upon the officer. Picture a fast water rescue involving a young child. Do you stand on the bank and wait for a lifejacket to show up before you jump in? Do you radio for the fire department? No, you strip your shit off as fast as you can and you jump the F-ing in and try to save the little kid.(providing you can swim). The response to the shooter is the same. You Freaken GO! You make that decision with little or no regard to personal safety. The cards are on the table. You either win or you lose. Me, I'm F-ing winning! Failure is not an option. The second radio transmission dispatch will receive from me is "The Shooter is Dead!" followed by a casualty report. If for some reason it doesn't work out like that and "If you find yourself alone riding in green fields with the sun in your face...Do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium. And you are already Dead! Brothers! What we do in life... Echoes for eternity!

Brandon @ 6/1/2011 8:40 AM

I have no doubt, if I'm that far in, I've seen the bodies, and the suspect is still actively killing people, I'm going to do everything in my power to stop him in the least amount of time. I would likely have deployed with my AR and an extra mag, so it would be easier to rapidly engage the suspect. With a glock and two spare mags, my approach would be slower, with hopes of encountering the suspect without him realizing I'm posted on a corner, squeezing the trigger with great care, and ending the bloodshed. Backup is nice, but not when lives are being ended every few seconds. You didn't sign up for an office job, and nobody promised you a fair fight. Also remember that this isn't a rescue mission at first, you have to stop the killing. If you rescue people that the suspect passed at the same rate he is killing more people ahead, you lost. The right mindset (and training) can prepare most patrol officers to end this situation, which usually only involves one suspect. My agency has incorporated active shooter response into basic recruit training, and offers advanced courses with live fire. I encourage everyone to ask their training facility to offer a similar course, if not already available.

Darren Curtis @ 6/1/2011 10:08 PM

Working in a small rural area, A town of about 1500 people, we don't have the luxury of backup always being close by. In an active shooter situation it's going to be over within a few minutes. Our department is only 4, a Chief and three officers, we all carry patrol rifles and shotguns. In this situation after talking to the man down, I would have gotten my patrol rifle, gone in and eliminated the threat.

Lennymasters @ 6/2/2011 1:04 PM

Wait for backup. The shooter has the ballistic advantage with a shotgun vs. a pistol.

Clay @ 6/6/2011 3:26 PM

I pray I would engage the suspect and stop further injury. (like I said I would do when I took the oath)

Butch Lapriore @ 6/7/2011 12:01 PM

I couldn't stand by and wait for backup while other innocent people could most likely become victims. It is evident that he is willing to and has shot several already. I'm no Rambo but I would do my best to stop this guy permanently. I was a police officer for 26 years and remember well a similar case. An off duty officer was in a rest room (outside access) behind a restaurant. He heard a comotion coming from the women's rest room. A woman in trouble. He waited/hesitated before going in to investigate. The woman had just been strangled to death by a parolee. He woked in the kitchen ofl the restaurant and followed to women into the rest room where he assaulted her and killed her. He was arrested by the officer, just a minute too late. The best defense is a good offense.

Chuck Haggard @ 6/13/2011 6:16 PM

I stringly agree that solo repsonse to the active shooter is a valid tactic. In fact, solo response by either officers or armed citizens has proven to be the only reliable way to shut a shooter down in time to make a difference.

I had to respond to an active-shooter on my own several years ago, the situation dictated that I not wait.

I wrote an article for The Tactical Wire on this very subject, and included references to the many successful solo responses to stop an active-shooter event.

Anyone who claims that officers should not respond solo if need be seriously needs to get educated on the facts.

Joseph Hoeing @ 6/14/2011 12:37 PM

With people being shot as you listen, you don't have a lot of options. You can hope the guy runs out of ammo, (he probably won't) or you can engage as quickly as possible to prevent further loss of life.

This is one of those incidents when you wish you were in another line of work, but I believe you mhave to take the chance and engage in these circumstances.

DC @ 2/28/2012 6:04 PM

You're arrived without lights or sirens. You hear active gunshots, he's focused on killing, he's not hiding, he doesn't know you're there. No department that I know of issues officers only a sidearm. Go back to your cruiser grab your rifle and move towards the shots and be prepared to seek out and destroy your target. Waiting will make things worse. "Speed, Surprise, Violence of Action" along with your edge in training will get the job done.