Randy Sutton

Randy Sutton

Randy Sutton is a 33-year law enforcement veteran, a trainer, and the national spokesman for The American Council on Public Safety. He served 10 years with the Princeton (N.J.) Police Department and 23 years with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, retiring at the rank of lieutenant. He is an author who has published multiple books on law enforcement.
September 2017 (1)
August 2007 (5)
July 2007 (4)
June 2007 (4)
May 2007 (5)
Patrol

Demoralized Cops Equal Higher Crime

Officers across the nation are no longer allowed to take the actions they know could prevent crimes and save lives.

April 05, 2016  |  by Jack Dunphy

Gentle readers, fasten your seatbelts.  We are about to embark on a virtual tour on which you will join me in a Los Angeles Police Department patrol car cruising some of the city’s most crime-ridden neighborhoods.  We will be patrolling the LAPD’s 77th Street Division, which year after year ranks at or near the top in violent crime among the city’s 21 patrol divisions.

We are alert to the presence of gang members traveling through rival territory, or of those in their own territory whose behavior might indicate they are preparing to advance the feud.  It’s just a few blocks from Main Street to Avalon Boulevard, but when one traverses that distance one has crossed from one gang’s territory into another’s.  As we drive slowly along 83rd Street, we see gathered near the entrance to an alleyway just east of Avalon a few members of the local street gang, one of whom is perhaps responsible for killing a rival.

In an ideal world, you and I might approach these young men. We might radio for another unit or two to assist us, as the mere sight of our slowing and the opening of our doors might very well set them off running in all directions.  What’s more, one or more of them might be armed, or there may be guns secreted nearby for ready access should some rival venture across Avalon looking to settle up. These and many other things cross our minds as we weigh the possibilities for our course of action.

What do we do?  We drive on, for we are not police officers in an ideal world.  We are police officers in Los Angeles in the year 2016, and we know there is little to be gained and much to be lost if we get out of our car and engage these young men.

If one of them runs?  Well then we might have to chase him, and if we catch him we might have to hit him, an incident that will be captured on cell phone video and posted on YouTube and, if the footage is sufficiently inflammatory, broadcast on local television news.

And if one of these young men is armed and we have to shoot him, and if video of the shooting does not clearly demonstrate that we were fired upon first, we will see our chain of command abandon us and pronounce our tactics unsound, this despite the fact that few of our superiors have actually stood in our shoes. And we might see that video become a national news story, one that will prompt the police commissioners, the mayor, the governor, and even the president of the United States himself to offer their unschooled opinions on the deficiencies of our actions.

Read Complete Article at PJ Media

kevCopAz @ 4/5/2016 7:20 PM

This is going on ALL OVER the country and should until "citizens" and politicians come to their senses. If we stick together and do this in an intelligent way, police the hoods that like us and keep writing all this reports without any OV activity things might change!. There is zero way that this can be stopped by administrations, Mayors, Chiefs etc. The way this stops is support the police or suffer what you wish for, "kinder,genteler police work".

JT @ 4/6/2016 5:42 AM

Clay, who cares? Really? Difference between a normal "job" and a Police Officer's is that officers, especially those working in a high crime ridden section of a community, daily on multiple occasions puts his/her life in danger responding to weapons calls, robberies, assaults, homicides, vehicle stops, unk emergencies, domestic violence, etc while you sit behind your desk typing away on a computer doing your "job" the "best you can" (and dont come back telling us that you work a super dangerous profession). Having worked in an area like this, and seeing the same criminals going through the revolving door of the liberal court system, it can be hard to want to put my life in danger if there is no support from the community and people are out there that have no clue, trying to convict officers for making split second life or death decisions. The majority of us continue doing our job though! Go on a ride along some day in a bad area to see what i am talking about.

Dave @ 4/6/2016 7:45 AM

Clay, who cares? I do. I care about my police officers patrolling the streets in the city I live in. While I sleep quite soundly at night, these officers are the line in the sand between the criminals and the people like me and like you. Clay, you going to work and doing your job gives me no comfort whatsoever. Maybe your in finance or a front line worker in a factory..maybe even management. I appreciate the work you do, but it gives me no comfort from those that would harm my family or myself. The support of our law enforcement officers is essential to their morale and their ability to do their jobs, unlike a "normal job". I hope people like you, with your attitude, continue to be the minority loud mouths and not the majority who have yet to voice their outrage on attitudes like you have. I have a blue LED porch light that shines every night to show officers patrolling my neighborhood I support them. They are popping up all over the neighborhood. I support my police!

RG @ 4/6/2016 9:41 AM

Dave, Thank you sir. It's people like you that keep myself and my officers from walking away from a job that we really do like, but are tired of having every backseat driver in America cramming their marshmallow opinions on how we are to accomplish every aspect of our job yet still cope and survive each shift.

Clay @ 4/6/2016 8:19 PM

When kevcop puts forth a plan on how NOT to do his job that he is sworn to do then he is of no use to the citizens. I agree with everything else said in this thread...... Except for kevcop. So to kevcop - DO your job, DO the job you were sworn to do,

I do care about everyone's safety. I do care that we have peaceful streets and never said that I didn't. It's kevcop attitude that has to change.

OK then @ 4/7/2016 5:47 PM

He is correct. Proactive policing ruffles the delicate feathers of the uninformed or the delusional know it alls. It is sad that it is coming to "it is better to do nothing least you get in trouble for your efforts."

OK then @ 4/7/2016 6:34 PM

Considering there are over 700 shootings for the year in Chicago alone I am thinking your are wrong in that assement.

Sheriffs Explorer Sgt. @ 4/8/2016 7:52 PM

Marcus, your "scenario" above is a little too drastic. I believe what you intended to say is that the Police do a great job and anti cop people just cause trouble.

OK then @ 4/9/2016 12:13 PM

Where are you getting your data? Sounds more like a script to a bad hollywood production.

P Weber @ 4/11/2016 6:27 AM

13,286 people were killed in the US by firearms in 2015, according to the Gun Violence Archive, and 26,819 people were injured [those figures exclude suicide].

Thirty-six officers have been shot and killed in the line of duty this year, according to the Officer Down Memorial Page.

Police officers shot and killed 990 people in 2015. In three-quarters of the fatal shootings, police were under attack or defending someone who was.

Neighborhood Watch @ 4/13/2016 11:53 AM

I live in a high crime area in a small California city where LE is underpaid and understaffed, the jail is overcrowded and the liberal laws in this state give the criminals more rights than the honest citizens. I can stand on my front porch and throw a rock and hit several drug houses. The writer has a point that the legal implications need to be considered, but no one held a pistol to any officer's head to make them take the job either. Having said that, I have learned in my role organizing a neighborhood watch that in a high crime area when there is a shortage of LE, not every situation needs to be reported. I take notes, plate numbers and secretly photograph suspicious circumstances. The more I see, the more I respect LE. It ain't easy doing such dangerous and stressful work. "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

Stevengreen @ 4/16/2016 2:53 PM

What does it mean when a criminal keeps getting released and is referred to as being coded.

Stevengreen @ 4/16/2016 2:54 PM