Mark Clark

Mark Clark

Mark Clark is the public information officer for a law enforcement agency in the southwest. He is also a photographer and contributor to POLICE Magazine.
Patrol

10 Reasons You Should Not Care About Police Week

Do we really need to spend a whole week honoring police officers?

May 16, 2014  |  by Karen (An Officer's Wife)

10 Reasons You Should Not Care About Police Week

Frpm the Missing Niche Blog. Used with Permission.

Yup, you read that right. I know there are millions of you that hate cops, and there are millions of you that love them. I’ve given it a lot of thought and realized the haters have a point. I mean seriously, in 1962 John F. Kennedy decided to set aside an entire week to honor them? A whole week!?  Thousands of people descend on Washington, DC and snarl traffic for events all week. Whew, glad I don’t live there, traffic’s bad enough already.

Luckily, my town isn’t one of the thousands across the country that hold events for Police Officers this week, one more thing I don’t need to feel badly about missing.

To help everyone out, I’ve come up with a pretty valid list of reasons why you shouldn’t care about honoring Police Officers. I’ll be honest with you, no matter what side of the camp you’re on, I think you’ll see my logic. Whether or not I agree with your logic, that’s a different story.

Cops are…

1. Trying to ruin your day - “Some a$$hole cop was hiding under a bridge and gave me a $200 speeding ticket. If it weren’t for him, I would have been here on time!”

2. Constantly saving other people’s lives – “Get your hands off me! I’m going to kill the b!tch!!”

3. Filthy – They are constantly spit, vomited and bled upon. Gross!

4. Always late – “I called 10 minutes ago! You couldn’t have gotten here before my drunk husband got home?!”

5. Enjoy destroying private property - “He tried to serve me a warrant so I slammed the door. It’s not my fault his body got caught in it! I want the city to pay for what he did to my door!”

6. Love picking fights – “Yeah, I punched the pig. He was trying to arrest me!”

7. Never there for their kids – While their kids are at a school play, baseball practice or at home with the flu, they are out searching for your lost child, mother, daughter, son, brother, etc. And when their kids are lying in bed at night asking their Mom/Dad if the “bad guys are going to kill Daddy/Mommy”, they’re out dodging bad guys.

8. …or their wives - When they do go out with their wives/husbands, they sneak out the back door and leave them alone because they just saw a gang member/ recent arrest/ snitch/ etc. walk in the front door. They doesn’t want them to know who their family is. B@stard.

9. In everyone’s business - they show up to accidents, rapes, assaults, homicides, thefts, missing persons calls, domestics, loose dogs, noises in your basement, weird smells coming from the other apartment, noise complaints, late night parties – any reason another human annoys you and any time someone needs help. Call the police, they’ll stick their nose where it doesn’t belong.

10. Not environmentally conscious – A Police Officer dies in the line of duty every 58 hours. Think of how many trees they waste on coffins.

What can you do to show you agree with the above?

Thank a cop. You don’t have to walk up to him/her and thank him literally, there are other ways. Obey the speed limit. Respect the law. Let them do their jobs.

If you can afford to, head over to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund  or Concerns of Polices Survivors and make a donation.

Most importantly? Teach your children to respect them. If you don’t agree with the law, take it up with the courts, not the police. They didn’t make the laws, they are simply trying to keep your crazy neighbor with the shotgun from stealing your prized coin collection and threatening to blow your head off when you want it back. Why? Because that’s the law.

By now I hope you have figured out that you should care about Police Week. If you are reading this and you are an officer or their family, I wish you all the safety in the world and the knowledge that you are not alone. We are grateful for all that you do and the sacrifices you make. When I wake in the night and realize my husband is late coming home from his shift, I am praying he, and everyone else like him, gets home safely. Godspeed to you all.

Tags: National Police Week

James @ 5/17/2014 7:10 AM

Why do people hate the Po Po? Well there is one entity that shares most of the blame, dare I utter this... It is Politicians, who pass ridiculous laws, waste billions of dollars then expect we the people to pay and use Them the cops to act as revenue agents passing out tickets and fines, arrests that many of us really find a bit extreme and think could be settled in a better way, but we have departmental policy that we must follow or we run afoul of the system and loose our income as a result. Most officers I know say this in private but if we utter this in public we are soon to be pushed out of our job. ALL Police chiefs, and Sheriffs should only be experienced officers, and not some political hack appointed to please the person appointing them often screwing the public and the Officers who are out there in the middle paying with life and limb. If I knew nothing about law enforcement this would still be my position. I honor all those who paid such a price for a job we do.

Linda Rooney Card @ 5/17/2014 7:12 AM

Very well said and true!

Ima Leprechaun @ 5/17/2014 8:34 AM

God Bless everyone in Law Enforcement! We are just the front line and everything crappy a politician does we have to enforce but that is our job. I think Correctional Officers have it a lot worse than street Officers because they have to live day in and day out with the low life's we give them. That is one job I could not do and I thank them for doing that for us. Everyone from Jailers to Prison CO's have the toughest job in Law Enforcement. But in fairness we represent a cross section of everyone and there are good cops and there are bad cops. We all do the best we can with what we have. You tend to learn to do more with less and you have to be creative thinkers to solve really difficult problems. So God Bless them all! As my Dad used to say "Somebody has to do it!"

Capt. Crunch @ 5/17/2014 9:51 AM

Great article.

Justin @ 5/17/2014 12:29 PM

This reminds me of a famous Irish quote: There is no circumstance so tragic that can not be made worse by the presents of a cop". Brendan Behan

Tschako @ 5/17/2014 9:50 PM

If you think the CO's have it tough in prisons, try doing the Parole Agent's job and keep tabs on these lowlifes while they're free and on the street!

Bo 2234 @ 5/18/2014 5:42 AM

Justin...next time, spell it write...

Kate delVecchio @ 5/18/2014 7:25 AM

We were brought up to RESPECT POLICEMEN! They are there to help you! It's a dangerous job, especially today! They must know the laws to enforce them! They are doing a dangerous job, to help keep us safe! God Bless each and everyone of You!!!

GC @ 5/18/2014 9:53 AM

Bo...next time use correct grammar..."right" not write

Tom @ 5/19/2014 5:25 AM

TERRY F. ZECH VAPD (RET) @ 5/19/2014 1:39 PM

Once I started reading it I got the point. Otherwise I was looking to take someone's head off. LOL Yes teach the children to respect police officers let alone the adults. Had a gentlemen the other night while I was at the ball game giving a volunteer seat setter a hard time because he wanted to stand and watch the game where it was roped off. I introduced myself tactfully and asked him to do what the gentlemen asked of him. He told me he wasn't afraid of the badge and that he could do what he wanted. However, he did what I asked and walked away when I told him to do just that. Respect that is what it's all about.

Parolecop @ 5/20/2014 8:27 PM

I have been blessed. I grew up in a time where cops were heroes and role models. I became a parole officer and thank the police every time they respond to my room search or warrant apprehension. It must have rubbed off, because my son is a military police officer just starting his career as mine winds down. In my home, every week is police week. Be safe.

Hatred of USA INTERNAL AR @ 6/3/2014 7:58 PM

You are hated simply because you enforce the LAWS of DICTATION made by the BIGGEST CRIMINALS in History--- No different than CALIGULA or NERO or HITLER or MAO and STALIN? You stand for the worst of the worst and then gladly abuse that power --I had my wish you and your families would need more than MRAPS and LENCOS and puny .223 s along with thousands of COPS in one location to save allof you with anything to save you from my WISH and it would be HELL ON EARTH literally and televised GLOBALLY on every TV ,to inform the world of the DEMONS you serve and the injustice you stand for !