Mark Clark

Mark Clark

Mark Clark is the public information officer for a law enforcement agency in the southwest. He is also a photographer and contributor to POLICE Magazine.
Patrol

The Real Danger of the Trayvon Martin Case

Every time race-baiters trump up cases against people for false "hate crimes," they diminish the public's outrage toward the real thing.

July 26, 2013  |  by - Also by this author

Photo by Kelly Bracken.
Photo by Kelly Bracken.
The confrontation between Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman that resulted in the death of Martin and the prosecution of Zimmerman is something I imagine a vast majority of Americans have some degree of familiarity with and opinions about. And while their lives and histories were 2,500 miles removed from mine, I somehow feel like I knew the two men.

Certainly, I have known their kind: the hip-hop and Hollywood-influenced wannabe gangsta and The "Dirty Harry"-influenced wannabe copper with a massive insecurity complex. But while either would have been perfect for a Tom Wolfe character sketch, neither was ideal for arousing sympathies; certainly, neither spoke to mine.

At least, not initially.

But as time passed I found myself more and more entrenched in one camp: George Zimmerman's.

Early on, this would have been most counterintuitive as I thought Zimmerman exhibited damn little in the way of common sense on the night of the incident. My preliminary conclusions were based upon what was reported in the news media (shame on me).

But as time passed and more and more actual facts related to the case became known, the less culpability I saw on the part of Zimmerman for what had transpired. True, I would not have conducted myself in the manner he had, as I've the benefit of having the kind of training and experience that Zimmerman did not possess.

More than that, I failed to see where anything that Zimmerman had done warranted his being attacked by Trayvon Martin, particularly in such a vicious manner as was described by Zimmerman to detectives during his walk-through of the crime scene. Having written elsewhere of a fight I'd had as a young man wherein my attacker attempted a concrete dermabrasion of my scalp, I can tell you that there is something viscerally terrifying about having one's head put to something so unforgiving as hardened cement.

In my case, that profound sense of terror gave me an adrenaline rush that allowed me to not only get away from my attacker but kick his ass, as well. Zimmerman's posture was too physically constrained at the time of his attack, and he resorted to the only recourse he had—the defensive use of his firearm.

To my mind, if Zimmerman had intended to kill Trayvon, he simply could have shot the young man in the first place and constructed an excuse to validate his actions. Certainly, he would not have had to allow his head to be pummeled against the sidewalk. And I couldn't help but wonder if it wouldn't have been more prudent for Trayvon to have used his fingers to call the police on Zimmerman instead of putting them to work in trying to make the man's head fuse with the concrete.

These concerns were only exacerbated once the trial itself commenced and a variety of witnesses of equally varying candor were added to the drama. The more that I monitored the proceedings, the more incredulous I became that our alleged judicial system put Zimmerman at center stage and the more contempt I felt for those who'd orchestrated this farce.

As I am naturally inclined toward the underdog, the more the cards I saw being stacked against Zimmerman, the more ardent my support became. Zimmerman may have had stupidly rendered himself needlessly vulnerable to an attack, but since when has bad judgment been cause for someone to be tried for murder, an act whose corpus delicti requires specific intent?

I couldn't see it.

Einstein's famous definition of insanity as "doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results" had play here. And while there is an undeniable virulence entrenched in the proceedings, Zimmerman was hardly patient zero. We have seen this type of tragedy before and will doubtlessly see it again. It gave rise to the whole Tawana Brawley outrage; it led to the outrageous persecutions and prosecutions of Duke Lacrosse players Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty, and David Evans. It shares the same DNA as the nullification practices that get murderers like O.J. Simpson off scot free, and lionizes cop killers like Mumia Abu Jamal and Assata Shakur.

Its pathogens are exploiters, enablers, and subscribers to these fantasies; often, they are scumbag prosecutors, dirtbag mayors, parasitical controverts, and the throngs who love a parade.

But for these things to coalesce they need to be able to take seed and germinate, and no soil is more fertile than some fundamental belief system that is already in place. It is a mindset that is perhaps best illustrated by an anecdote.

In 1977, Richard Pryor appeared at a gay benefit concert, ostensibly to help raise money for the cause. Warmly welcomed with a hearty round of applause, Pryor proceeded to surprise his audience by castigating them, asking those in attendance where they'd been during the Watts riots before basically yelling "F*** Y**!" to the lot of them.

Pryor's blow-up sums up one fundamental aspect of human nature, particularly as it relates the omnipresent question at the back of our minds when we regard one another: What have you done for me lately?

Nowhere is this question more routinely indulged in our country than when it comes to race and there are huge constituencies that will seemingly forever be resentful of past horrors to the degree that they will fail to get beyond them. That they find ancillary profit in excoriating society due to these beliefs only solidifies their posture.

This astigmatism is a source of vexation on multiple fronts, not only because it repeatedly finds the wrong people being victimized for it, but because so many of the attending contentions are easily refuted.

When it comes to those who implicitly ask the question and explicitly answer it each and every time they shout, "If the races were reversed, then Trayvon would've been convicted!" I would suggest that these folks take a look at Roderick Scott, a man who has been referred to as the black George Zimmerman for having been arrested, charged—albeit for manslaughter—and acquitted after shooting two white males who were breaking into his neighbors' cars.

Following Pryor's example, I would ask the "embarrassed to be an American" Toni Braxton where her outrage was in the aftermath of O.J.'s acquittal. And to those who would decry me as having a racist agenda herein, if that was the case, what about my history of ardently advocating the decriminalization of many drugs knowing that many young black males would be emancipated back to society?

How much more profitable would things be in the long run if these constituencies would instead indulge in a little necessary introspection and reevaluate postures that are so entirely predicated upon the complexions of people involved.

Part of me finds the whole race thing pretty specious. How many Americans of African heritage can trace their ancestry with any certitude of knowing just where they came from and, therefore, just how much they have in common with the man who may share their complexion but little else (I'm a mixed mutt myself, and frankly don't really place a huge premium on any aspect of my European heritage).

Still, another part of me is every bit as guilty of thinking racially as any other American. It conspicuously colors my take on things. I find myself wondering where are the civil rights activists in the black community who will speak up against the wrongs being perpetrated against non-black people by the African-American community.

Meanwhile, with each parade of judicial travesty aided and abetted by some asshole mayor or defending gun-jumping champ Al Sharpton, more and more non-blacks get increasingly calloused to the suggestion that there is some great conspiracy at work against the black community. And herein lies the true danger to that segment of the population: That like the boy who cried wolf such false accusations and false alarms may make the non-black public complacent and apathetic toward real racism and actual atrocities committed against African-Americans.

And that, my friends, is the problem with all this trumped up race-baiting.

Tags: Hate Crimes, Trayvon Martin Shooting, Concealed Carry, Self Defense, Murder Prosecutions

Anila @ 7/27/2013 9:29 AM

Do you see the 17, 16, 15 yr old who are gang bangers, involved in
shootings, fights, drug dealing as children? It doesn't matter that
Martin was ""innocent"" in your view. The jury found Martin the
aggressor, who started the physical confrontation, when, in the words of
Eric Holder, he could easily have retreated since he was already close
to his dad's girlfriend's house. Zimmerman was found not guilty, so
leave it be. You should check this out.. http://whitegirlbleedalot.com/

officerJason @ 7/29/2013 6:26 AM

Well spoken sir. And Anila he is entitled to his words and opinion just the same as you are to yours. Everyone loves to criticize but fail to see theyre doing exactly what they are criticizing

Rick @ 7/29/2013 2:32 PM

The real danger is the precedent that was already set by the Occupy movement; if you don't like something, protest and riot for it, even if you didn't earn it or deserve it. So now people are in the streets demanding justice because the media whipped up the so called 'stand your ground' law, that is actually the 'Castle Doctrine' and isn't applicable in the Zimmerman case. FL law allows the use of deadly force to prevent a forcible felony; Martin was committing assault with a deadly weapon at the very least and attempted murder at the worst, when Zimmerman defended himself.

Tom Ret @ 7/29/2013 3:28 PM

Zimmerman had the facts on his side irrespective of his skin color or ethnicity. Jessie Jackson and the Sharpton crowd refuse to let evidence interfere with their conclusion of Zimmerman's guilt based on emotion.

Capt. Crunch @ 7/29/2013 3:54 PM

The real danger here is Pres. Obama, making statements blaming white people for what happen to Trayvon Martin. The president's actions put George Zimmerman's life in danger. I have been around a long time and this is the first time I have seen a American president get involved in local police action.

Rick Castro @ 7/29/2013 5:07 PM

Dean,

I like your writing - very nice style, great visualizations, very apt. You said this exactly like I was trying to saying it, but like the writer you are, you said it really well. Thanks for pointing out what so many people agree with but, sadly, are sometimes afraid to say in mixed society. Not, in the police locker rooms, but out in the public, where there's fear of saying anything not politically correct. I'm a retired Lieutenant from California, a State where sticking to PC language is more required than some other places in the country. Please keep it up as these are the kinds of things America needs to hear.

James @ 7/29/2013 6:46 PM

I have read all the comments with great interest. However I guess I am just looking at things differently. Just how many of us here on a dark and rainy night walking to our home and noticing we are being followed feel for our off duty weapon or even reposition it. Once approached by this unknown individual do we not take tactical action? I was not there that night so I cannot say. However a teenager observes he is being followed by someone not wearing a jacket or hat saying security or watch patrol, Someone who makes contact and does not say hey Im with the neighborhood watch, do you live here? (watch meaning sit in your car and watch and report, period). We as officers if plain clothes must identify as such in this situation. So having no gun or badge and being where he has a legal right to be the teenager takes tactical action with the only weapon he has, his hands. This is a sad event no matter how you look at it. The jury has spoken and so this case is closed. But lets do keep an open mind, this could have been anyones child.

Tom Ret @ 7/29/2013 7:34 PM

James-. In your mind if someone is following you, that would justify confrontation and using tactical action as you put it? Why not avoid a confrontation and continue walking home? I may be leery if I noticed someone following me but I wouldn't conclude from that alone that I needed to go hands on with that person. If cornered, then it may become a survival situation but there was no evidence that Martin could not have continued walking. Did you listen to the trial? Did you not understand what the 4 minute period of silence signified? There was ample time for Martin to continue home without any interaction with Zimmerman. You say that Martin had a legal right to be where he was and that is correct but so did Zimmerman. When you use the term "child' you conjure up the idea that Martin was a completely innocent skittles eating 12 year old. This is the image that the lame street media wanted to portray. Digging into Martin's past and listening to the evidence at trial paints a much different picture than the "child" murder victim.

Dallas @ 7/29/2013 9:09 PM

I get all the drum beating about race relationships in the U.S. right now. So let's for a moment consider the most oppressed people in American history.

The Native Americans. Since the first time an Anglo-Saxon or Spanish explorer set foot on the soil of North or South America, the Native American people have been slaughtered, raped, and enslaved by "civilized" people. For two centuries before African people were ever brought to these shores.

We have not seen them rise up and burn our cities or file frivolous lawsuits over their inhumane treatment in the past.

There is no way that anyone can justify the actions of our ancestors perpetrated on the Native people who have been on this continent for a millennia.

So let's stop focusing on the 300 years of injustice and consider the 500+ years of genocide embodied in our Country's "colorful" past. Shame on black and white for ignoring our Country's first people!

The Native Americans are the embodiment of "drive on", your future is before you.

Jay @ 7/29/2013 9:58 PM

It never surprises me that the children of the most dangerous and violent people on the face of the earth, who have went in every corner of the world killing and destroying in the false name of war, have enjoyed and still enjoying the spoils of war, can now say be non violent. Just remember your opinion and mind is just like a butt hole we all have one. Just remember it was your system that selected Obama. Life is what it is you reap what you sow, if you don't your children will. But the truth be told, if true justice was displayed more of the clear race would be in jail, but you have ways and loop holds to get in and out of the system. Instead of using your intelligence to bring an end to the fire you pour more fuel on it, so that it can burn your backside. Remember the Divine Destruction of American for all her shame and sins. Watch your storms and etc. You have no power over divine intervention.

James @ 7/30/2013 4:39 AM

As someone who grew up in the ghettos of Detroit, your point is well taken and right on the money. I might go even further and point out it is those Black leader charlatan's like Jackson and Sharpton to name a only a couple of the many, who have done the most damage to the black communities in the United States, with their lies and distortions.

Well said Dean Scoville!

Jay @ 7/30/2013 6:10 AM

Well spoken Dallas

George @ 7/30/2013 6:51 AM

Don't know why I read this post Dean. No real shocker that you find yourself falling on the side of George Zimmerman. All this bafoon wanna-be cop Zimmerman has done is make the job of real LEOs much harder. He should have never left his car and followed the directions of the 911 dispatcher. No he wanted to be a hero, he thought he was dealing with a teen who would back down. Next thing you know he is getting his a## handed to him and he has to use deadly force.

Paul @ 7/30/2013 10:07 AM

Well said Dean thanks for posting! George, that's the point that Dean made... that yes, Zimmerman made a bad choice of confronting Martin but that doesn't warrant a deadly force reaction by Martin.

1234 @ 7/30/2013 12:42 PM

You guys are a joke.

1234 @ 7/30/2013 1:00 PM

Let someone follow any of you self righteous comment makers and see what happens to them in the early morning hours. Paul, read your own comment. "Zimmerman was wrong but Martin shouldn't have used deadly force." What?? News flash!!! Zimmerman had the gun. Zimmerman approached him with a gun, after being told not to, by the POLICE. Why didn't Trayvon keep walking??? According to the State of Florida, he doesn't have to. It's called the right to stand your ground. This world is in some serious trouble with people like this author, who are either blinded by their racial insecurities or just too smart for their own good. God help us all.

Midnighter @ 7/30/2013 1:31 PM

Dean - Well written article and while I don't consider myself a supporter of Zimmerman, I agreed with alot of your opinions. Too many people let the media tell them who they should be afraid of, who they should be angry at and who they should blame. As a black officer, I have long since been frustrated by a certain apathy that exists in some of the areas I partol. People get fired up for police shooting an armed suspect from the neighborhood. But there is little to no response to the 4 other homicides that take place every weekend there. But I am surprised at your level of shock, seeing the media whip people into a frenzy. This has been happening and despite your examples of so many white people victimized by media pressures into being falsely arrested or tried, it happens both ways. Many of us blacks were shocked and disgusted when OJ was acquitted. We were also shocked and disgusted when Casey Anthony was acquitted. I wonder though were you shocked when Charles Stuart shot and killed his pregnant wife and claimed a black guy did it. Police arrested several black men in connection to the crime. Stuart's brother later admitted he killed his brother's wife. Where you just as outraged when Susan Smith blamed the abduction and drowning deaths of her two kids on a black man? Or when Ashley Todd carved a 'B" on her face and claimed an Obama supporter did it? My point being, I don't trust the media regardlesss of what the victim or suspect look like. The media has only their intrests and ratings in mind. Sex, money and murder sell. Anger and fear make people tune in more than the truth does. We all need to start thinking for ourselves and stop allowing the media to divide us.

Also, did you really point to decriminalizing many drugs, thereby resulting in the release of alot of black males...as your proof of not being a racist? To be clear I don'

Midnighter @ 7/30/2013 1:37 PM

To be clear I don't think you are racist, I just think that statement was awkward and unnecessary. You don't have to prove you aren't a racist. Your article and point were well taken without that qualifying statement. Besides, I doubt black men would be the only group of people that would benefit from the the decriminalization of some drugs. But by only pointing out how many blacks would benefit from this, it made your statement...awkward. Just my opinion though. As I said, great article. Blues stay safe.

1234 @ 7/30/2013 1:53 PM

Midnighter...You make some good points but, unfortunately, in vain. The rhetoric this guy is spewing comes from someone whose mind is already made up about an issue. He rants about how the media thwarts the issues, but feels justified in doing it himself. His goal is to polarize, Why? Who knows? Unfortunately, we can't look at a person's background, history, or personal feelings and figure out where they are coming from with their views on certain issues. Especially race related ones. God loves each and everyone of us, black and white, that has accepted Salvation. There is one Heaven and one hell and each shall be full of both.

Johnny @ 7/31/2013 3:36 PM

Human rights issues as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution must be openly discussed, but with peace and goodwill. Hate spewing rhetoric diminishes the hope of American liberties of those who have been legitimately discriminated against - be they white, black, brown, red, or a mixture. For how many Americans of all races praised God and fought even harder for human rights when the Emancipation Proclamation and 13th Amendment became effective.

Johnny @ 7/31/2013 3:47 PM

I believe the verdict was correct for Zimmerman. He was indeed not guilty. We as Americans must remember that the first line of defense against crime is not the police, rather it consists of the people, the citizens. As we the people strive to write new chapters in the history of what it is like to live, breath, and be free in a democratic-republic, we must pull together as the citizens we are and cease the enmity towards race, creed, or religion. Argue points of truth in issues, but always hold out a hand of brotherhood to one another.

Wen Smith @ 7/31/2013 4:00 PM

The real danger is now even more fat cowards are going to feel embolden to carry guns and interject themselves in situations where they shot people that make them uncomfortable.

RedHalo @ 7/31/2013 4:38 PM

What I cannot wrap my head around is why some of you know that stuff happens and you are judging by hindsight 20/20. We all have seen the Zimmerman's in the field, whether it was mall security, security at a bar or club, corporate security or an individual citizen taking action as a cop wannabe. Let us not forget that some of our states give lawful authority to citizens to take action for felonies and breach of peace.

This has been an age old problem and it will never go away. We forget that the P-O-L-I-C-E are there to protect the community collectively, but not necessarily the citizen within the community-individually. I have always been an advocate of self protection, because we the police will not always be there.

I do not condone Zimmerman's actions that led up to the shooting and I do believe he bit off more than he can chew. I do believe he had no choice in his moment of truth to utilize use deadly force that was necessary in his mind. What I do disagree about is how the aftermath of the trial was handled, which was definitely not handled right by the national media, the President of the U.S. or the Department of Justice. When have we ever heard of a U.S. President getting involved with local issues. When have you ever heard of the DOJ look at a civilian in this case and shout out constitutional deprivation and prosecution of an individual citizen who is not part of a hate group? Why does color have to enter into the picture, what if it was some guy that was a blue smurf that walked like a duck. I still believe that no matter the color, Zimmerman would have still approached and if given the same scenario, he would have taken the same action. The problem with what I have said, it's all speculation, just like the racial labels that were placed on Zimmerman. He has been judged on this earth and if he had ill intent, let our creator be the judge.

SWAN @ 7/31/2013 5:17 PM

Something I find hard to understand. When being followed by a "creepy a@@ cracker," scared enough to insight the "fight" rather than the "flee" response. Why would you be on the phone with Rachel Jeantel if you feared for your safety enough to fight? If I were scared or felt threatened I would 1) call 911, 2) run home or 3) respect that I was walking through someone else's area and try the reasoning tactic but I doubt I would go to the "fight" option unless pushed into it. Race issues garner a lot of attention and I respect the write-up; this was a perfect storm for disaster and neither party played their cards right. I have learned long ago that no matter what "advantage" I may think I have; training, weight, speed or equipment...you never know what the other guy will bring to the fight so think twice before you jump in. Maybe that is the maturity level Martin had not gotten to.

WEBO @ 7/31/2013 5:36 PM

Race that is all anyone sees and that is crap. What I saw and read was that on February 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM a citizen saw a suspicious person. That citizen followed the suspicious person and after contacting the police was advised not to exit his vehicle. That citizen against police instructions exited his vehicle and began to follow a 17 year old boy. Zimmerman was out of his vehicle following a juvenile in the twilight before sunset, which occurred at 7:41 PM. That juvenile either confronted by Zimmerman who was following him or was confronted by Zimmerman. At some point a fight broke out and Zimmerman began to lose he then pulled his weapon and shot Trayvon Martin dead. Zimmerman was overweight, out of shape and getting his ass handed to him. He killed Trayvon Martin the minute he exited his vehicle. Not before or after, THE MINUTE HE EXITED HIS VEHICLE against the instructions of the police dispatcher Trayvon Martin was dead. Its not race, its ego, hubris, ignorance, and false courage by gun. Race is just ignorant people's excuse on both sides. Whites want to play the stereotype game and so do blacks. When will this stop and when we we begin to look at the facts and not every other personal bias. Here is the truth two human beings were out there that night and now one is dead. There was no justice for anyone because Zimmerman is screwed a pariah FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE and Trayvon is dead. WTF PEOPLE

Bob@Az. @ 7/31/2013 7:05 PM

Wow. All these posts by people who were not there. Some with a bit of logic, others so far off base it's scary. WEBO, that "citizen" was a member of an organised Block Watch, that "17 year old boy" was over six feet tall and one hundred seventy pounds in weight. The dispatcher- who is not a sworn Officer- "recommended" he stay in his vehicle. So many monday morning quarterbacks. Dean, once again a thought provoking article. Thank You. Blues, Stay Safe.

Georgia Boy @ 7/31/2013 8:10 PM

Everyone has their opinion. If Zimmerman had stayed in the car as instucted by the police. Martin would still be alive. There would not had been a trial. Everyone would not have had a difference of opinion.
How did Martin get to be a gang banger? Where was that ever proven that he was involved any any gang activity? These wanna be cops that like to take the law into their own hands. Zimmerman was the aggressor, prosecutor, jury and executor with a license to commit murder then frabicate a story. The prosecutors did a very poor job but they never wanted to prosecute Zimmerman. They only wanted to preerve their "Stand Your Ground Law'

Lt Dan @ 7/31/2013 9:20 PM

I wasn't there, I didn't pay rapt attention to every detail of the proceedings but my career gave me the instincts to be pretty close to what happened. Some of the posters have already touched on it. Its too bad it all happened. With the heightened emotions the LEO's job will be tougher, on the street and the courtroom, just like after Rodney King and forensics after O.J.

One thing I have noticed is Obama getting involved and spouting off on local issues. His condescending attitude, divisive personality and actions have caused more damage to race relations than helped. He could act as a positive force to bring reason to an issue but that's not his M.O.

Kev-O @ 7/31/2013 11:23 PM

I seem to recall President Obama criticizing a police officer who was performing his duties, got in trouble for it, then was cleared of any wrong-doing. After he was cleared, The President invited the officer to the White House, so they could discuss it over a beer. Anyone else recall what happened there? My apologies for any inaccuracies in this recollection. To those in the field, watch the hands!

Tom @ 8/1/2013 4:14 AM

Many interesting comments and opinions. For anybody black or white to say that their race does not influence their opinions on this any many other topics would be foolish. It does have an effect on how we think, we just have a hard time admitting it. Having said that, I have made it a point to do may job, as a police officer for over 35 years, as color blind as possible. I think I have done a pretty good job of it, and so do others, nuff said about that. Now comes this case and to me the biggest crime is the extreme bias that the news media has shown towards it. Do I think that both of these individuals made mistakes, absolutely. Simple question- Why has the only picture most of America saw of Travon Martin, been of him several years ago ? Google him or find the picture that I believe was his last one posted on "Face Book" (not sure about this). It shows a large, buffed, tatooed young man, with little resemblence to the young teenage boy most people think of as Travon. This is the guy that got into it with Zimmerman, not the little boy. Look at that and see if you still hold all of the same opinions. Shame on the media for orchestrating such a bold faced lie.

pup @ 8/1/2013 9:38 AM

Dean, 1) it's so amazing in the manner you write. I envy you. Even after all the years we worked together. 2) My question is would there have been such a hype if it was Black vs Black, White vs White, Hispanic vs Hispanic? Of course not. It happens on a daily basis. Why, do we as Americans allow the news media to stir the pot? Somehow, if we can make a law to either arrest or sue the news media when a riot or violence occurs when the facts are not presented. It's not all people are racists. But, people react and respond when provoke or pry upon the weak...Time to go back to work...Be safe

Capt. Crunch @ 8/1/2013 10:17 AM

What upsets me most about this case is Pres. Obama, gets involved by using his presidential powers to have DOJ investigate this case. These actions by Pres. Obama and his staff (after knowing Zimmerman was acquitted by American court of law)put Zimmerman's life in danger. This type of injustice could happen to anybody, our rights are being violated here. I feel the president is abusing his color of authority on this case.

mshaie @ 8/1/2013 11:51 AM

SYou ve completely BELIEVED EVERYTHING ZIMM SAID AS GOSPEL TRUTH. IT ISN'T. AS A COP U SHOULD KNOW THERE R MANY LOOPHOLES IN HIS ACCOUNT. NEVERMIND THAT HE LIED ABOUT IMP THINGS RIGHT THERE IN COURT. READ THE 3 INTERVIEWS WITH SEVERO? he didn't believe the account. 200 lbs being held down, a left handed man shooting unto the heart frim that position while being held down n pounded???? THOSE INJURIES R NOT CONSISTENT WITH A HEAD BEING SLAMMED ON CONCRETE. DO SOME FAIR INVESTIGATIVE RESEARCH, THE WEB IS FREE FOR ALL, THEN GO ON TO PROVE HIS ACCOUNT. HE HAD THAT GUN DRAWN N THERE IS A POLICE COVER UP

REGLaw @ 8/1/2013 12:11 PM

@RedHalo: "When have we ever heard of a U.S. President getting involved with local issues."

President Bush did that and much more in the Teri Schiavo case. That was a local issue that he and Congress should have stayed out of. But I guess it depends on whose ox is being gored.

It is worth saying again to all of you professional investigators quoting the evidence against Martin that we only have one side of the story. The other witness to all that happened stood his ground, defended himself, and was shot dead. We only have Zimmerman's side of the story, and it doesn't take much imagination to think it was told to serve his needs.

REGLaw @ 8/1/2013 12:47 PM

@Rick: "The real danger is the precedent that was already set by the Occupy movement; if you don't like something, protest and riot for it, even if you didn't earn it or deserve it."

Hmmm. I think that technique for changing things you don't like started a bit before the Occupy Movement. Seems to me I remember reading about something that happened in Boston Harbor more than a few years ago.

REGLaw @ 8/1/2013 12:49 PM

@Capt. Crunch: "The real danger here is Pres. Obama, making statements blaming white people for what happen to Trayvon Martin."

I missed that. I heard his public statements, but missed the blaming part. Can you please quote that for me?

Capt. Crunch @ 8/1/2013 1:28 PM

@REGLaw, be happy to #1 Obama, said he will use the powers of his office for this case. #2 If he had a son he would look like Trayvon Martin(remember Obama, is half white so his son could look also like Zimmerman)#3 white women cling to their purses when a black man gets on the elevator with them. #4 White people push their car door locks down when a black person is walking by (Obama, said this happen to him).#5 Obama, said if Martin, was white the outcome might have been different. REGLaw, I'm, just pointing out the facts, do you see the elephant in the room here. Correct me if I'm, wrong please. If Obama, didn't mean to blame the white people then why did he say it?

Capt. Crunch @ 8/1/2013 1:55 PM

@REGLaw, Terri Schiavo, was a life support issue that was unsolved and the courts were asked to act on it.Bush, was asked to act on this issue and at the time he was the only one who could solve the problem. Zimmerman vs. Martin case was allready solved by a American court. This Zimmerman/ Martin case only involved a ganster and lawabiding citizens. Obama, did not have to get involved.

Bob LaBlaugh @ 8/1/2013 9:57 PM

It's remarkable but unsurprising that so many commenters here clearly have no clue as to the evidence presented during the Zimmerman trial, yet voice such strong condemnations. It's yet another demonstration of how those with the fewest facts and least analytical understanding typically having the strongest, albeit unfounded, opinions.

You go, Dean!

REGLaw @ 8/15/2013 2:44 PM

@ Capt. Crunch #1) No implicit blame, just a statement to those who have doubts about the fairness of the handling of the case that the DOJ would look into it. #2) an empathetic statement which doesn't blame anyone for anything (Zimmerman, for what it is worth, is half hispanic, not half black, so your parenthetical comment is unlikely) #3 &#4) all true statements about the experience of being a young black male, all worth remembering if one wants to understand the outrage and distrust. Nothing in that that blames whites for what happened to Martin, but the implied fear of black men does tie into #5) which is unquestionably a supposition on the part of the president, but not a statement that blames whites for Martin's death. It raises the question of whether Zimmerman would have followed Martin if he had been a white teenager in a hoodie, walking through his neighborhood. No way to prove it one way or the other, but I'm inclined to believe he would not have. That was the issue the president was addressing--the supposition that a young black man is a problem, with no other information about him than the color of his skin and the fact he is walking through the neighborhood. Prejudice caused the problem, not any particular race. If that was what the president was saying--and I believe it was--I couldn't agree with him more.

REGLaw @ 8/15/2013 3:02 PM

@ Capt. Crunch (cont.) - As for the Schiavo case, the issue had already been resolved by decisions of several courts, state and Federal, over a period of years and the feeding tube removed (again) by a court order. Then members of Congress and President Bush inserted themselves into the situation, only prolonging the issue further resulting in more court action and an eventual unsuccessful attempt to involve the Supreme Court, all at the instigation of Congress and the president. Why is that justified and Obama's statements that the DOJ should investigate the decision in the Martin case are not? Are you suggesting that Schiavo's parents have more rights to expect the government to act when they don't like a court decision (or several) and Martin's parents do not?

REGLaw @ 8/15/2013 3:15 PM

@ Capt. Cruch (conc.) BTW, your comment regarding "gangsters" and "law-abiding citizens" suggests your own prejudice. Trayvon Martin's status as a gangster--derived, I assume from the Facebook images and a couple of minor drug possession incidents in school (a dubious judgment, but let that pass)--could not have been known to Zimmerman at the time he decided to follow Martin. All he knew was that Martin was walking through his neighborhood and he was black. So he followed him.