Anonymous Cop

Anonymous Cop

Anonymous Cop is a veteran police officer in a big city Midwestern police department.

Mark Clark

Mark Clark

Mark Clark is the public information officer for a law enforcement agency in the southwest. He is also a photographer and contributor to POLICE Magazine.
Patrol

Product Test: 5.11 Tactical Duty Kilt

5.11 Tactical's duty kilt offers a fun alternative to duty shorts.

July 10, 2013  |  by Matt Mitchell

Photo courtesy of Matt Mitchell.
Photo courtesy of Matt Mitchell.
As a working sergeant in the Southern California beach community of Coronado, I wanted to try 5.11 Tactical's Tactical Duty Kilt to see if it would be a good option for our warm summers.  From that perspective, the kilt was terrific.

I liked the fact that it was open and cool, a lot nicer than the snug summer shorts we wear. It was also a lot of fun. At first, I took some ribbing from fellow officers. When I wore the khaki version to the range, I realized the upside and downside: You get good leg movement, but the open exposure of my legs worried me. Shorts better protect my thighs from possible injury.

The kilt has front slant pockets as well as side cargo pockets positioned at the same height as TDU cargo pants. A few suggestions on the placement of the pockets: they ought to be secured bottom and top, so that you have the same security as you have on pants. During an obstacle course session during training, I pulled an AR-15 magazine out of the left side pocket and the magazine got stuck.

To make sure I gave the kilt a good working out, I wore it to defensive tactics. It was a little too revealing.

The kilt, a poly-cotton blend, weighs just over six ounces, so it's lightweight. It accommodates a 1 ¾-inch belt and includes a badge holder on the front belt loop. Two front D-rings allow an officer to attach a sporran. It's available in black, khaki, and OD green. It retails for about $59.

Matt Mitchell is a sergeant with the Coronado Police Department.

Tags: 5.11 Tactical, Tactical Gear, Firearms Training, Apparel

Jason v @ 7/11/2013 9:23 PM

I cant wait for the 5.11 matching high heels.

Mark M @ 7/12/2013 5:34 AM

Men a lot tougher than us wore these into battle. Nice article sarge!

Brian Adamus @ 7/12/2013 11:33 AM

"I cant wait for the 5.11 matching high heels."

*facepalm* A kilt like other MUGs are men's garment. If this one questions your manliness, that's your problem.

gyee @ 7/13/2013 4:02 PM

so...which department has authorized this for duty wear?

Jason L @ 7/14/2013 9:37 AM

Only in CA.

Kevin @ 7/14/2013 9:56 AM

I bet it will be difficult to prevent runs in the matching 5.11 Tactical Panty Hose with Flex-Tac.

martyb @ 7/15/2013 4:56 PM

The only thing bad about wearing the "Utili-kilt" (either the original or the 5.11) is that when at work you can't, or shouldn't go "regimental". For those of you in Yorba Linda that means without underwear.

After wearing a kilt for years with our local Scottish Society I can say that going regimental is or should be saved for special occasions.

Otherwise wearing a good old fashioned jock is good insurance for those times when a foul breeze blows, you drop something on the floor or ground you will need to pick up, or there is a posibility of un-intentionally flashing kids or old women.

Boxers and briefs tend to cause the kilt to ride up and spoils the lines.

We call it a "kilt" casue that what we did to the last person that called it a skirt.

A good jock strap is a easy insurance policy

Troop @ 7/17/2013 11:38 AM

This is easily the dumbest invention by a "tactical" company ever. No wonder it was tested in CA. The guy that invented this is probably laughing still.

paul @ 7/31/2013 3:32 PM

how about matching UGG Boots

Riverside @ 7/31/2013 4:03 PM

My only question would be: If I'm issued this, do I have to wear underwear?

Trigger @ 8/1/2013 8:52 AM

Great idea, the Scots knew how to get-r-done. You can "go" while on the go, moving fast or moving slow!!

Dave Calhoun @ 10/29/2013 10:59 AM

Point of interest: according to Thompson''s "So You're Going to Wear the Kilt," it is considered "Regimental" to wear undergarments if you will be engaging in strenuous activity. Since police duty would include the anticipation of strenuous activity, it would be considered "Regimental to wear underwear/light shorts underneath.

To those with the "tactical pantyhose/high heels" comments: Google "Ladies from Hell."