Richard Valdemar

Richard Valdemar

Sgt. Richard Valdemar retired from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department after spending most of his 33 years on the job combating gangs.

Facial Recognition

Ask The Expert

Roger Rodriguez

Manager of Image Analytics

Roger served over 20 years with the NYPD, where he spearheaded the NYPD’s first dedicated facial recognition unit. The unit has conducted more than 8,500 facial recognition investigations, with over 3,000 possible matches and approximately 2,000 arrests. Roger’s enhancement techniques are now recognized worldwide and have changed law enforcement’s approach to the utilization of facial recognition technology.

Gangs

Love and Murder in Gangland

Like in any other culture, gang members fall in love. Unfortunately, when their love affairs go wrong the results can be deadly.

May 01, 2009  |  by Richard Valdemar - Also by this author

David "Spooky" Alvarez was a Highland Park gang member. His wife had left him and gone to stay with relatives on Stewart Avenue in Baldwin Park. This was in Spooky's eyes an insult to his macho male identity. This act of disrespect obsessed Alvarez, who blamed his ex-wife for ruining what was left of his life. Spooky stewed and plotted his bloody revenge.

On the evening of Sept. 29, 1996, a pretty 22-year-old woman named Trinia Irene Aguirre knocked on the door of Alvarez's ex-wife's Stewart Avenue residence. She claimed that she was alone and had car trouble. She asked to use the telephone and was allowed inside. This was Spooky's "Trojan Horse," and he quickly followed his homegirl Aguirre into the residence. Luckily, Spooky Alverez's ex-wife and their baby were not among the 10 people in the house at the time.

Homegirl Trinia Aguirre was Spooky's new girlfriend. While Spooky covered the hostages, Trinia roughly began tying them up, gagging them, and laying them in a long row, belly down on the living room floor.

Trinia took $3,200 from 32-year-old Roberto Diaz before binding and gagging him. Poor Roberto Diaz, a citizen of Mexico, had saved the money from his menial jobs to buy a car. He lay beside Jose Rojas a 32-year-old gardener, who lived near the Sheriff's Headquarters in Whittier. The Torres sisters, nine-year-old Evelyn and 12-year-old Massiel and six other children were also among the hostages.

Spooky Alvarez paced with agitation up and down the line of his captives. His grand plan of vengeance had not included these events. His ex-wife was not there and with each passing minute the risk of discovery and capture increased. In vain he waited, hoping that she might return. He kicked and punched Diaz and Rojas, trying to find out where his intended victim was or when she might return. Trinia Aguirre threatened the hostages with a large knife and Spooky's agitation was infectious. Trying to prove herself to her homeboy, she anxiously watched for Spooky's cues of what to do. But in her heart she was hoping he would decide to escape.

Thirty minutes became an hour and the tension in the living room continued to mount. Spooky continually threatened the hostages as they lay terrified and weeping on the floor. His anger and his rhetoric escalated. He made threats against his ex-wife and his child. Spooky threatened to murder all of her family.

She could stand it no longer. After over an hour-and-a-half of terror, Trinia began at one end of the line of hostages, she bent down grabbed the first victim by the hair and cut her throat. She then moved to the second victim. Spooky began at his end shooting one after another in the back of the head. He shot Roberto Diaz, Jose Rojas, Evelyn and Massiel Torres. Before they fled Trinia would cut three victims, however all of them would survive. All four of Spooky's victims would not. Either Spooky simply ran out of bullets, or maybe he was reluctant to murder all the small innocent children, but at any rate he finally fled the residence with Trinia.

Following the arrival of the police, a huge dragnet covered Southern California. Even in the violent gang climate of Los Angeles, this massacre was shocking. The victim's families, including Spooky's ex-wife and child, were provided police protection. My unit was assigned to this detail and to tracking down some of the numerous leads Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department homicide investigators received from people wanting the two in custody. The murderous couple was unsafe even in their own gang area.

In November of 1996 Trinia Irene Aguirre turned herself into the FBI. David "Spooky" Alvarez avoided capture until May of 1997 when he tried to crash a vehicle through the border check point into Tijuana. He was taken into custody by Mexican Federal authorizes. This ignited a dispute between Mexican and U.S. law enforcement.

The Mexican Constitution forbids extradition to any country who would seek the death penalty for the prisoner. As a result the extradition was stalemated because then Los Angeles County District Attorney Gil Garcetti refused to drop the possibility of seeking the death sentence just so he could extradite Spooky.

Consequently, Spooky Alvarez was tried in Mexico for two of the four murders and was sentenced to 90 years in a Mexican prison.

Trinia Aguirre was convicted in the California system of four counts of murder in the first degree, three counts of attempted murder, and four counts of armed robbery. On October 7, 1998, she was sentenced to four life sentences without the possibility of parole.

As for the mad loving Spooky Alvarez, I recently learned that a deal was finally struck with Mexico and Spooky was scheduled to be returned to U.S. authorities. Hopefully Spooky's trial will result in justice for his victim's and an end to the ex-wife's family living in fear.

Vanessa @ 8/8/2011 4:51 AM

Massiel was my best friend and I was suppose to be there that day. The ex wife or Massiel's relative had needed the phone and she didnt call me back to let me know if it was okay to come over. This story is very painful to my heart.

adrienne @ 3/12/2012 10:29 PM

massiel was a schoolmate of mine and i am very angry that david alvarez hasn't been held accountable for her death. he's living it up in an undisclosed mexican prison.... i only hope that the other inmates there discover his past and give him his just desserts. i hope mr & mrs torres someday get some closure and peace. hope to hear some follow up on this story.

jorge diaz @ 6/12/2012 1:59 AM

Those were my cousins that were killed and my uncle Roberto he will be missed, anonymous gee what your friends name hes my nephew i wanna contact him

Erica @ 11/19/2012 1:02 PM

After 16 years I've come across this link. These people mentioned are my family. My father, brothers and I were supposed to go that day of the tragedy. For some odd reason I didn't want to go that day. My dad claimed that to be very weird since I loved going over every Sunday to play with my two favorite cousins Massiel and Evelyn. Now I understand why! It was not our time to go. After all these years there is not a day I don't think of them, and think what would be of them if they were still here. Our family has been destroyed ever since this event. I am glad those monsters are in jail for life!!!!!! I wish the WORST FOR THEM, I HOPE THE F*** in SUFFER SLOWLY! As for my other cousin, (the x-wife) haven't herd or seen since the tragedy. I Love u tio Roberto, Massiel, and Evelyn. As for Maria, I am truly sorry for your dad. Rest in peace family and Jose!

Daisy @ 6/24/2013 1:35 AM

I was a good friend of Evelyn. We were in 3rd grade when this happened.. So sad.i still remember her clearly.evrytime i think about her it brings me to tears :'(

fabby @ 9/13/2013 1:16 PM

Wow I was 2 houses down when this tragedy happen...OMG massiel use to walk with me after school she was attending the school right next Holland Jr high...may they all rest in peace....

janine @ 12/30/2014 9:15 PM

I'm sorry for such loss....I studied this case during my college years n was close to the defendant Trina Aguirre... Insane as it sounds...I later visited her after all this conviction... N she truely was sorry for such she pleaded with david Alvarez to turn himself in he lied to her and yes he forced her to do such cold crime...she is sorry and she wish she can turn back time....

LaGuera @ 1/3/2016 8:59 AM

To my angels above! I miss u so much mi querida AMiga Massiel .... Your smile every morning before class n how you where a true friend to anyone ... I know u are in a better place now away from evils I love u n can't imagine how ur parents are doing ..besos a todos que an echo todo por mantener al demonio Cruz Alvarez encerado pero yo se que mi dios grandoso... Se encargarra de los responsables de llevarse a Amiga ... I pray every day for justices ...., n guidence from my angels FOR ever LIVE MASSIEL TORRES . C/o of 01 baby girl I'll keep u alive in my heart mind n soul one day I will see u again n we will catch up in our adventure see u soon.... Best friend keep on smiling xoxo

Let's GO coyotes !!' C/o 97 4life

Antonio @ 3/6/2016 9:28 PM

I remember this! The whole school gave her the respect, they gather all the students and teachers for her moment of silent.