Weapons

SIG To Introduce P227 In .45 ACP

The P227 will be a .45 ACP pistol with a double-stack magazine.

November 14, 2012  |  by - Also by this author

SIG Sauer's P226. Photo: Wikimedia.
SIG Sauer's P226. Photo: Wikimedia.

SIG Sauer's aggressive expansion of its handgun lineup will include a new model called the P227 that could be introduced as early as SHOT Show 2013, according to a Missouri firearm dealer.

The P227 will be a .45 ACP pistol with a double-stack magazine that's based on the P226, according to SIG Sauer Guns and Accessories, a website operated by Osage County Guns in Belle, Missouri.

The P226, which is available in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 SIG, was SIG's military replacement for the 1911. The pistol is carried by the Texas Rangers, Ohio State Highway Patrol, Michigan State Police, and numerous federal agents. U.S. Navy SEALs also carry the P226.

The P227 would compete with Spingfield's XDM, Smith & Wesson's M&P, and FNH USA's FNP45 pistols.

Tags: .45 ACP, SIG Sauer, SHOT Show

Robert @ 11/15/2012 7:23 PM

That is a sweet gun, love all of my sigs

Juan 10-13 @ 11/16/2012 6:34 AM

Oh yeah the Sig is one sweet ROSCO!

John @ 11/19/2012 5:05 PM

This new one is a "Must Have" in my book!
I own a pair of P226 Navy models in 9mm and a P229 in .357 Sig I love them all! I also own a Glock 21 SF but am guessing that the Sig
will probably fit my hand more comfortably.
Whooo-yah Sig!

Matt @ 11/29/2012 12:01 PM

What is capacity

M.Conner @ 11/29/2012 1:55 PM

As like most, I have shot and handled more than a few handguns for duty and personal use. I can honestly say IMO that the P226 is one of my favorite handguns.

Frank @ 11/29/2012 4:39 PM

I have a safe full of Sig's and Glock's. I fine the Glock easier to shoot. One of the reasons why the majority of PD's issue them. But I like my Sig's better. Finally after a decade or more of the 9mm they finally realize that the caliber is marginal in a combat role. Now all the Spec. Ops people are issued "The One the Only" .45 caliber. A little more expensive to shoot but it will provide the knock down power required to get the job done.

Driverx @ 11/30/2012 2:59 PM

I wish Sig would make this pistol or the P-220 in 10mm... It's a cartridge that puts 9mm, .357Sig, .40S&W, and .45 to shame. It's the parent round to the .40 s&w(Short & Wimpy), it moves faster, shoots flatter and packs nearly as much punch as a .41 Magnum! SIG, WAKE UP AND MAKE SOME 10's!!!!

Charlie @ 12/4/2012 8:45 AM

I love SIGs, and having a double-stack .45 ACP would be a great addition to my collection. However, it would never replace my Glock 22 as a duty gun. Why? The .40 S&W was designed, from the ground up, as a law enforcement tool. Its ballistics, when using the proper load, are better than the .45 ACP, and close to both the .357 SIG and the .357 Magnum, without all the issues associated with those two rounds. Yes, the 10mm is the man, but it breaks guns, and it is hard for the "average" officer on the street to handle. Do a little research and you will see that there are several of the 165gr loadings in the .40 S&W that have shown excellent terminal performance in the real world, not just on paper. And I like the idea of having 46 rounds versus 30 or 35.

Driverx @ 12/7/2012 3:29 PM

Charlie... To correct you the 40 S&W was not designed from the ground up as a LEO tool. The 40 came about after the 10mm was tested and adopted by the FBI, who wanted two loadings. A full power load for use in subguns and a lighter load for standard duty. Smith and Wesson took it upon themselves to create the 40S&W based on the lighter load so that it would fit smaller framed pistols. The only case differences are the overall length, primer size and minor changes internally around the case head. The reason the 40 became popular is that it fits smaller framed pistols... Which goes hand in hand with the politically correct smaller framed officers so popular today as well. The recoil impulse of a full power 10 is about that of a 45, just that the impulse factor timing is faster. Yes it was hard on certain pistols which were engineered up from .45's or 9mm... Pistols built specifically for 10mm have no issues. I have a S&W 1086 which has ran over 6000 rounds of standard power, hot loaded and light loaded 10mm, as well as about 1000 round of 40S&W ammo with the only modification being a heavier extractor spring to hold the shorter case tight against the breach face. No issues, no malfunctions, no problems.

My comment was more towards Sig, who would do well if they offered a pistol in 10mm. I'm sure they would be able to handle even the hottest loading of the 10... Unless they are to chicken to build it!

Jeff Creamer @ 1/22/2013 2:26 PM

In regards to 10mm, who issues a 10mm handgun currently? Which agency, Federal, State, Municipal, Military or foreign entity is currently deploying 10mm? Since the FBI isn't supporting the MP10, I'm just curious . . . .

Oscar @ 4/6/2013 7:23 PM