Weapons

DoubleTap Pocket Pistol Shelved

A Missouri manufacturer failed to produce the slim pistol in .45 ACP or 9mm with aerospace technology.

October 16, 2012  |  by - Also by this author

Photo courtesy of Heizer Defense.
Photo courtesy of Heizer Defense.

A year after announcing the DoubleTap pocket pistol as an innovative backup gun for officers, the pistol's inventor issued a press release that Heizer Defense won't be able to produce the gun.

Raymond B. Kohout, who previously owned a retail firearms store in the St. Louis metro area, said he has received "tens of thousands" of orders for the slim, two-shot pistol. Kohout said he couldn't elaborate on why the gun wouldn't be produced due to pending litigation.

The DoubleTap was unveiled as a slim and light pocket pistol available in .45 ACP or 9mm with a four-round capacity. Heizer initially touted the pistol's unusual break-action feature and ambidextrous thumb latch controls. Heizer planned to produce it at a former aerospace facility.

The pistol would "incorporate space-age high tensile alloys," according to the initial press release. The pistol would have retailed for between $499 and $799.

Commenters on PoliceMag's coverage of the pistol expressed interest in the gun, but generally said it wouldn't be practical as a backup gun for officers.

"Unless it is extremely cheap, why would anyone consider this as a backup weapon or CC (concealed carry) weapon," M. Conner wrote on Oct. 25, 2011. "I guess something is better then nothing. But I would bet for the price of this 'space age' looking weapon, you could purchase a backup that is proven with multiple shot capacities."

Kohout said he hoped to find a manufacturer for the pistol.

"It is our intention to immediately license the design to a leading firearms manufacturer or to align with another manufacturing source to produce the DoubleTap," he wrote. "We intend to accomplish this as quickly as possible to satisfy the huge demand for the DoubleTap pistol."

Related:

PHOTOS: Heizer's DoubleTap Pocket Pistol

Tags: DoubleTap Defense, Backup Guns, .45 ACP, 9mm

Phil @ 10/19/2012 7:51 AM

I hope he gets it out there, I saw it in one TV show. I emailed them that they should extend the chamber to make it available for the .45 Colt /.410 shell--now one heck of a defensive round--& they could use a double moon rim clip to still utilize the ACP for weenies.

TripWire @ 10/20/2012 5:05 PM

I agree with M. Conner, it's a lot of money for what would be more than a novelty than anything. It's pretty cool looking but you can get a more practical backup gun for a lot less money, so what's the point? I guess if I had an extra $500-$800 laying around (which I most certainly do not) I might buy one, but it would be a safe queen.

Leonard Mather @ 10/24/2012 2:45 PM

A two shot back-up would be insufficient if the need were further than "close quarters." A back-up with 5 or six rounds would be more reassuring.

M.Conner @ 10/25/2012 2:24 PM

If Heizer would like to send me a prototype to try out, I could stand corrected in my evaluation. Just kidding.
I sincerely hope much success for the Heizer group.

Thomas J. Nelson @ 10/27/2012 11:01 PM

It would make a good last chance no way out gun or you'll never take me a live copper see good pocket hiking gun to kill snakes or a dog

jeff @ 3/17/2013 10:05 PM

im digging thisbad boy cuz it get twofat rounds and still this bugga is thin as a crackheads wallet.ya feel me? hell yeah, sign me up, down to ride like that.

Jeffy's mommy @ 4/2/2013 11:48 AM

Jeffy, your PB&J is ready, Sweetie!